Curtis Lofton restructres his deal (1 Viewer)

Mixed feelings about the process. I really don't want to increase our cap number in the following years, but I trust Loomis knows exactly what he is doing.

Although, Lofton is the perfect guy to do so, relatively young, and for sure on our plans for the long haul.

Ditto, but they can juggle it until it's time to drop all the balls like SF did while Montana and Young were around. They were notorious for pushing back the devastation and took it all once they were faced with rolling with Jeff Garcia. I think they kept it going for around decade. I'll take a cap crash once Brees retires, which I hope is closer to a decade than two more years :p

PS IIRC the cap hell only lasted two years. The later slump wasn't related to charging off the cap.

*Sigh* We will be in cap hell in coming years. I trust Loomis though, he got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixed feelings about the process. I really don't want to increase our cap number in the following years, but I trust Loomis knows exactly what he is doing.

Although, Lofton is the perfect guy to do so, relatively young, and for sure on our plans for the long haul.

The good thing is that the cap is expected to rise significantly in a couple of years.

The good thing is that the cap is expected to rise significantly in a couple of years.

It's not, just check the link of the PFT article posted earlier in this thread.

I see the Colts releasing Dwight Freeney and the Packers doing the same with Charles Woodson, we may not like it but we better learn to release veteran players. It is just the nature of the game. I really want to keep competitive for a long term, not just comply to a window of 3-4 years.

Fortunatelly Mickey has done an incredible job, but I really don't know how elastic will a payroll be for years to come.

What a class move by Lofton. Dude's 1st season, comes to the team during one of the worst times in frachise history. He is part of the worst D's in NFL history and yet in only his second season he says yes to a contract restructing that will help the team get better. :9:

What a class move by Lofton. Dude's 1st season, comes to the team during one of the worst times in frachise history. He is part of the worst D's in NFL history and yet in only his second season he says yes to a contract restructing that will help the team get better. :9:

Now that's a team player right there!

All a restructure means is that some of his money was converted into a signing bonus and paid to him immediately instead of later so that it could be spread out over the life of the contract instead of counting only this season. He still makes exactly the same money as before.

It's not, just check the link of the PFT article posted earlier in this thread.

I see the Colts releasing Dwight Freeney and the Packers doing the same with Charles Woodson, we may not like it but we better learn to release veteran players. It is just the nature of the game. I really want to keep competitive for a long term, not just comply to a window of 3-4 years.

Fortunatelly Mickey has done an incredible job, but I really don't know how elastic will a payroll be for years to come.

It has to go up when the new TV deal kicks in. It's a calculation based on revenues.

All a restructure means is that some of his money was converted into a signing bonus and paid to him immediately instead of later so that it could be spread out over the life of the contract instead of counting only this season. He still makes exactly the same money as before.

Yes its true that he will be paid the same but if I understand the deal right he is defering bonus money. So instead of getting 7.1 million (base plus bonus) he will get 3.1 with the "bonus" pro rated over the life of the contract. Now with contracts not guaranteed... He is taking a chance that he'll see that money down the road. That is trust to risk 5 million dollars for your team...

Yes its true that he will be paid the same but if I understand the deal right he is defering bonus money. So instead of getting 7.1 million (base plus bonus) he will get 3.1 with the "bonus" pro rated over the life of the contract. Now with contracts not guaranteed... He is taking a chance that he'll see that money down the road. That is trust to risk 5 million dollars for your team...

Nope, a signing bonus is averaged over the number of years of the contract for cap purposed only. It's still a bonus in real terms so he gets that money that was converted to a signing bonus now. It is no risk whatsoever to the player.

This. Not saying Lofton isn't a classy player but frankly there is no player in the league that wouldn't take that deal.

It has to go up when the new TV deal kicks in. It's a calculation based on revenues.

This has already been discussed in several threads recently (some of which you participated in...)

Salary Cap:
2013: 121.1 million
2014: ~122 million
2015: ~125 million
2016: ~130 million

Drew Brees's cap hit:
2013: 17.4 million
2014: 18.4 million
2015: 26.4 million
2016: 27.4 million

As you can see, Brees's salary takes up the entirety of the rise in cap space (actually exceeds it by a million dollars by the time it balances out in 2016 and temporarily hugely exceeds it in 2015)...the idea that cap relief is coming is completely false.

Of course he can, but his cap hit for 2015 is 26.4 mil. anyway. We dont want to have one player with a 35 mil. cap hit. That is why I am against Drew restructuring his contract.

This is why I didn't want Drew to be the highest paid player in the NFL. He has killed this team in terms of cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom