Custom distros for Windows migrators (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Been awhile since I posted on this forum, but thought I'd share this with you guys, for anyone who might be interested. I've gotten a LOT of linux help from you guys since my 2009ish migration from Windows, and I like to pay it forward when I can. I'm not trying to recruit anyone for anything; I'm not trying to persuade anyone to install an OS they're not really interested in; I'm not trying to become a distro maintainer. I'm simply trying to share another linux option for anyone who thinks it may be helpful or useful...another tool for the toolbox.

I provide a lot of tech support/help to family members, friends, and other linux users/newbies on some other nerd/geek sites that I'm a member of. I've noticed some common & general overriding themes with my linux assistance to those people, so instead of telling people how to make modifications, over & over, I decided to create a "turnkey" remix for 2 different groups of users that I frequently encounter, both of which require assistance with low-resource distros for their lower-specced hardware. Enter Lubuntu 14.04, for several reasons I don't care to bore you with.

The first group can be generally described as WinXP die-hards. Not because they choose to be, but because they're apathetic to their computer OS and lack the technical expertise and/or $$$ to do anything about it. These folks just want their computers to run and, if possible, to run well! Their old one works just fine, most of the time, and see no reason to buy a newer, faster machine when the old one still does what they want it to. These machines tend to be WinXP and the users either aren't aware of the likely seriousness of future WinXP issues from terminated support updates; or believe the WinXP armageddon is false hype; or just don't want anything too different from what they're used to (they don't even like Win7 for this reason). For these folks, I've created XPubuntu, a remixed Lubuntu that aesthetically resembles what they're used to. A link to XPubuntu Wiki and download is provided here:

XPubuntu / Wiki / Home

In a nutshell, a ready-made turnkey linux that is as close to being a drop-in replacement for WinXP in appearance, without actually being a windows OS. If this is helpful or useful to anyone here who may provide linux help to your inner circle, enjoy...

The second group can best be described as those who have "heard of linux", googled it and learned that Ubuntu is the most popular linux distro, like what they see, and want to install it on their machine. I personally use Ubuntu, like it, and think it is the best tool for my computing needs. Unfortunately, Ubuntu is a bit bloated and resource intensive. (special shout out to Eaux-yeah, who warned me that this would be important to me someday...you were right again, buddy!) While this isn't a problem for me and my machine, it tends to be a terrible choice for the machines of these people. Despite the fact they have already chosen Ubuntu and decided they like the appearance of Ubuntu, with the mac-like side dock/launcher, Ubuntu tends to bog down their computers and will never provide a satisfactory user experience on those machines. If only there was a low-resource intensive, lightweight distro that looked like Ubuntu and the unique Unity desktop? Enter Pangaea-Lubuntu, an Lubuntu remix that is designed to aesthetically resemble Unity and will perform satisfactorily on lower-spec machines. This is a better "fit" for aspiring Ubuntu users with low-spec machines, and will provide a MUCH more satisfactory linux experience! A link to Pangaea wiki and download is provided here:

Pangaea-Lubuntu / Wiki / Home

In a nutshell, a ready-made turnkey linux that is as close to being a drop-in replacement for Ubuntu in appearance, without the resource intensive requirements of the Unity desktop. Alternatively, for those who do NOT like the Unity desktop appearance, the LXDE desktop is supremely configurable and easily modified with a few right-clicks. I have also provided numerous default software selections for several programs that are available on Windows and/or Mac OS X systems. Again, if this is helpful or useful to anyone here who may provide linux help to your inner circle, enjoy...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom