Cut all of the wrs that Bridgewater did best with. Any coming coming back? (1 Viewer)

I guess it would show something, but you really never know until they get in a real game how they will be a reading the defense and going through their progressions. My anecdotal recollection of Bridgewater during preseason was that in some games he seemed to do a very good job on his read progressions and in some games he seemed to be bad at it. I take that as a decent sign in that he is capable of doing it, but that he needs to do it more consistently. Hill looked to be pretty average at it and has always shown a tendency to run if his first two options aren't there. That's not necessarily a bad thing and it could become part of the offense if Hill ever starts or if he just gets a lot more snaps at QB, but it's not the offense we normally run.

Anyway, I think your overall point that Hill likely gets a lot more QB snaps, maybe in the range of 20%, is likely right. You are going to take the ball out of Brees' hands for more than 6% of plays, but there is no reason to have the same restrictions with Bridgewater at this point. Right now Bridgewater is likely the better pocket QB, but Hill can do some things Bridgewater can't do and things you don't want him to do with his injury history. I also think Payton is more likely to let Hill throw the ball when he is in because you aren't taking pass attempts away from a future HoF QB. I think we see a lot more gimmick plays with Brees out in an effort to move the ball and keep defenses off balance and that will include more Hill at QB.
From watching the Teddy's TD's video, it's apparent that he has all of the tools necessary to make the reads and throws. It's gotta be between the ears from having his knee shredded. Not that he thinks it's going to fall apart at the joint, just that he doesn't want to take any hits. Like the scramble against the Rams where he should've run for the first down but slammed on the brakes not to cross the LOS at the last second and tried to force a bad ball (caused by slamming on the brakes) into coverage for an incompletion on third down.

I'm sure Payton is working on all of this with him this week now that he's gotta earn his paycheck.

I like the idea of giving Washington a load of running plays...He is built more for the job...for pounding out tough yards between the tackles, when the defense knows
we are likely to be run heavy....but..is he available, healthy? I have lost track of him...
We have Murray for pounding out tough yards. He took Ingram's role and is actually a bigger back than Ingram is. Washington is healthy and on the 53. Just playing his usual special teams role, I assume.

I just hope Smith's ankle (isn't that was he hurt) isn't serious. He's come up pretty big so far this year and looked like he was on his way to having a breakout season.

Ginn was a ghost last week. What was that all about? If anyone can get separation, it's him with his speed and I saw him two steps ahead of his defender on intermediate crossing routes multiple times. I don't think he was even targeted. If he was, it wasn't memorable at all.

ETA: just checked his stats. The line is completely blank. Not even a single target.
Teddy was not looking to Ginn at all. I kept hoping that they would try to take a shot play but I don't even think they were calling deep routes. It was frustrating and I did not feel we had anything to lose at least trying to go over the top.

Teddy was not looking to Ginn at all. I kept hoping that they would try to take a shot play but I don't even think they were calling deep routes. It was frustrating and I did not feel we had anything to lose at least trying to go over the top.
One thing Teddy is really good at is the deep ball too.

ETA: They probably didn't call anything that wasn't practiced with Brees in the week leading up to the game, and we know his deep shots aren't a big part of the game plan anymore. Plus, the line was getting abused and there probably wouldn't have been time to throw one.

It's not about a different playbook. It's about using different plays from that playbook more often. The playbook is much larger than what we see every week and it's even larger than what we see every season. For instance, pass plays that have the QB roll out with a moving pocket are in the playbook, but we seldom use them because Brees doesn't usually need to roll out to get more time because he is so good a moving in the pocket. But, for a guy like Bridgewater or Hill, you likely run that much more often because they are not as good at that as Brees. Or, plays like Read Option or RPOs are in the playbook but you aren't going to run them with Brees because you don't want him running and he doesn't need an RPO. You would rather have him just read a defense at the line and audible if necessary. But you are likely to run those more often with Hill or Bridgewater. All those plays and more are in the playbook so you aren't inventing a new playbook, you are just calling some plays more and some plays less based on the talent you have on the field and what they do best.

And while he does not script the game, he does keep a list of plays that he wants to use in certain down and distance situation and in certain game situations. Those plays change week to week depending on opponent and they will change greatly depending on who the QB is and what he does best.

Well, yes. That's what I am saying. When Brees went down, do you think Payton didn't adjust the play calling and kept on calling plays he knew TB couldn't run effectively?

Humprey called up.

Who's laughing now?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom