Cut all of the wrs that Bridgewater did best with. Any coming coming back? (1 Viewer)

That's where he was crossing from and looked open over the middle when I saw he had separation at least twice. And you're right, TB seemed to only be looking to his right and by the time he'd look to the middle or left, he'd held the ball too long and no one was open or the line was beat or holding.

Here is Drew's Week 1 and Teddy's pass chart for left side comparison: (Teddy wasn't seeing the left side well)

pass-chart_BRE229498_2019-reg-1_1568085848103.jpeg

pass-chart_BRI129168_2019-reg-2_1568591631795.jpeg

Here is Drew's Week 1 and Teddy's pass chart for left side comparison: (Teddy wasn't seeing the left side well)

pass-chart_BRE229498_2019-reg-1_1568085848103.jpeg

pass-chart_BRI129168_2019-reg-2_1568591631795.jpeg
It's almost like he didn't look over there at all, except on the one play to Harris that went for -7. That really needs to be corrected. And people say Hill can't read the field...Do they have the charts from preseason games?

It's almost like he didn't look over there at all, except on the one play to Harris that went for -7. That really needs to be corrected. And people say Hill can't read the field...Do they have the charts from preseason games?

As I know you know, a lot depends on the play design and read progression. Briddgwater obviously didn't play well and it didn't look like he was going through his reads fast enough, but the o-Line wasn't doing him any favors. Not that they are totally to blame since the Rams do have Donald in the middle. Anyway, for all we know, Ginn was the 4th or 5th read on those plays and Bridgewater just didn't get to that read.

Anyway, I do wonder how much difference it will make when Payton designs the game plan around Bridgewater and what he does well, as opposed to being designed around Brees. For instance, they don't do a lot of designed roll outs with Brees since he is so good moving in the pocket, but that may be necessary for Bridgewater. Also, until Bridgewater gets used to the speed of the game again, they may need to limit the number of progressions or cut the field down some so he doesn't hold the ball too long.

That's what I figured. Kind of pointless since none of the starting QB's actually take substantial snaps. In our case though, it could be very insightful.

Preseason is seldom insightful for anything since there is no real game planning involved on offense or defense.

I'd love to see us bring back either L'J or Em Butler. But It's not the players Teddy's running with, so much as it is the plays Teddy's going to be running.It's all about the gameplan being built around Teddy's skillset.

Preseason is seldom insightful for anything since there is no real game planning involved on offense or defense.
But with the situation we're in, it would be insightful - especially since they were both playing against vanilla defenses and with vanilla playcalling on offense. We'd be able to see who read the field better by the number of attempts and completions on both sides of the field and over the middle.

You sure it isn't <s>No</s>Falcons10?

Because what you suggest would only benefit the other teams in the league,not this one.

Last edited:
As I know you know, a lot depends on the play design and read progression. Briddgwater obviously didn't play well and it didn't look like he was going through his reads fast enough, but the o-Line wasn't doing him any favors. Not that they are totally to blame since the Rams do have Donald in the middle. Anyway, for all we know, Ginn was the 4th or 5th read on those plays and Bridgewater just didn't get to that read.

Anyway, I do wonder how much difference it will make when Payton designs the game plan around Bridgewater and what he does well, as opposed to being designed around Brees. For instance, they don't do a lot of designed roll outs with Brees since he is so good moving in the pocket, but that may be necessary for Bridgewater. Also, until Bridgewater gets used to the speed of the game again, they may need to limit the number of progressions or cut the field down some so he doesn't hold the ball too long.

The problem I have with that argument, is that I don't see the backup having a different playbook as the starter. They both go by the same playbook. And the rest of the team knows one playbook only. That said, I can I see how some plays in the playbook may be better suited for one QB or the other. However, there has to be some overlap in the plays that both the starter and the backup can run effectively.

In that, Payton doesn't script the entire game. if I am Payton, and my 1st stringer is down, I wouldn't keep on calling plays I know the backup can't run effectively.

The Seattle game, I expect the beginning scripted plays to be safe plays to settle things down, maybe heaving on running the ball.

We'll see.

Hear hear! I like it!
So what do we do when Drew is back in six weeks and all of his favorite targets who he's got great timing with are gone?

Lil'Jordan Humphries would just have to be activated from the PS. I'd say bring him and Butler up if we're going to have 5. Lil'Jordan only if we're going to have 4 with Kamara counting as the fifth when we go five wide.

But with the situation we're in, it would be insightful - especially since they were both playing against vanilla defenses and with vanilla playcalling on offense. We'd be able to see who read the field better by the number of attempts and completions on both sides of the field and over the middle.

I guess it would show something, but you really never know until they get in a real game how they will be a reading the defense and going through their progressions. My anecdotal recollection of Bridgewater during preseason was that in some games he seemed to do a very good job on his read progressions and in some games he seemed to be bad at it. I take that as a decent sign in that he is capable of doing it, but that he needs to do it more consistently. Hill looked to be pretty average at it and has always shown a tendency to run if his first two options aren't there. That's not necessarily a bad thing and it could become part of the offense if Hill ever starts or if he just gets a lot more snaps at QB, but it's not the offense we normally run.

Anyway, I think your overall point that Hill likely gets a lot more QB snaps, maybe in the range of 20%, is likely right. You are going to take the ball out of Brees' hands for more than 6% of plays, but there is no reason to have the same restrictions with Bridgewater at this point. Right now Bridgewater is likely the better pocket QB, but Hill can do some things Bridgewater can't do and things you don't want him to do with his injury history. I also think Payton is more likely to let Hill throw the ball when he is in because you aren't taking pass attempts away from a future HoF QB. I think we see a lot more gimmick plays with Brees out in an effort to move the ball and keep defenses off balance and that will include more Hill at QB.

The problem I have with that argument, is that I don't see the backup having a different playbook as the starter. They both go by the same playbook. And the rest of the team knows one playbook only. That said, I can I see how some plays in the playbook may be better suited for one QB or the other. However, there has to be some overlap in the plays that both the starter and the backup can run effectively.

In that, Payton doesn't script the entire game. if I am Payton, and my 1st stringer is down, I wouldn't keep on calling plays I know the backup can't run effectively.

The Seattle game, I expect the beginning scripted plays to be safe plays to settle things down, maybe heaving on running the ball.

We'll see.
I like the idea of giving Washington a load of running plays...He is built more for the job...for pounding out tough yards between the tackles, when the defense knows
we are likely to be run heavy....but..is he available, healthy? I have lost track of him...

We'll see.

It's not about a different playbook. It's about using different plays from that playbook more often. The playbook is much larger than what we see every week and it's even larger than what we see every season. For instance, pass plays that have the QB roll out with a moving pocket are in the playbook, but we seldom use them because Brees doesn't usually need to roll out to get more time because he is so good a moving in the pocket. But, for a guy like Bridgewater or Hill, you likely run that much more often because they are not as good at that as Brees. Or, plays like Read Option or RPOs are in the playbook but you aren't going to run them with Brees because you don't want him running and he doesn't need an RPO. You would rather have him just read a defense at the line and audible if necessary. But you are likely to run those more often with Hill or Bridgewater. All those plays and more are in the playbook so you aren't inventing a new playbook, you are just calling some plays more and some plays less based on the talent you have on the field and what they do best.

And while he does not script the game, he does keep a list of plays that he wants to use in certain down and distance situation and in certain game situations. Those plays change week to week depending on opponent and they will change greatly depending on who the QB is and what he does best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom