Cut Carney... Play Hartley!!! (1 Viewer)

I DVR'ed the game and am watching it now. Carney has to be cut. I didnt realize how bad he looked last night. Almost missed extra point on first TD, hit the upright on the first FG. Real bad

Yeah, I was at the game.. But I sit on the 15 yard line, so I don't have a great view of kicks at my end..

I saw the one dink off the post, and then he missed one wide.. Don't know about the extra points..

Needless to say, as others have pointed out, there's more to it than just him kicking the ball.. Maybe he just had an off night.. Maybe he was worried about the edge rushers that ALWAYS seem to be there..

I just don't know if I could justify making a change like that at this point in the season and choosing to go with a younger kicker.. But that's just me..

First of all congrats on being able to support the team in person. It is what I miss most since moving to NC as I was a season ticket holder. If you happened to tape it go back and watch the PAT's. Shaky, shaky. In fact after every kick they would show Payton shaking his head. It is a touchy subject when it comes to cutting players. I wouldn't kick him to the curb but somehow someway we have to get better at this position. I dont' get it. We can find world class players at all other positions except for this one.

dont cut Carney yet, just activate Hertley and sit Carney a game or two... if all goes well, make the move

This would be what I would do as well, just see what Hartley has before we cut Carney altogether.

I agree with Shrike3000...just make Carney inactive for a game or two and give the Hartley a shot at some live action. Perhaps he's back to last year's form now. Remember, he went 100% last season.

A couple of points of concern.

1. Everytime we kick an extra point or fieldgoal, you may notice that a defensive player almost blocks each kick coming fromthe left side of the line. It happened on virtually every kicking play last night. That is not the fault of Carney.

2. When Carney missed the field goal, I noticed that Brunell somewaht bobbled the hold, and the ball was not placed quickly enough. The defensive player again came from the left side, and Carney had to purposely kick to the right, ergo the miss FG.

3. Carney is a great kicker, and the second leading kicker in Saints history (obviously behind the great Dane). But he clearly cannot kick the long ball anymore. He can't be depended upon to kick ove 40 yards with consistency. Morstead does the kickoffs (and does he ever do a good job)

This is clearly Carney's last year. I think he knows it. I'm not sure of the accuracy of Hartley, but he must have something if the Saints have refused to release him (some other team would grab him). I would sit Carney and let Hartley kick for the remainder of the season, and see how he does. (Keep Morestead doing the kickoffs).

THIS, is sound reasoning. Carney has been off his game for the past 2 or 3 weeks and we simply cannot afford to go into the playoffs with a shakey kicker. I held my breath every time he kicked the ball and my apprehension was not misplaced.

I'm not saying we should cut the man. In the long term he has proven himself very reliable. BUT, we've got a proven young kicker on the inactive roster who we can get back into game shape prior to the playoffs. We need to activate Hartley and sit Carney for the remaining games unless Hartley goes out there and lays an egg.

THIS, is sound reasoning. Carney has been off his game for the past 2 or 3 weeks and we simply cannot afford to go into the playoffs with a shakey kicker. I held my breath every time he kicked the ball and my apprehension was not misplaced.

I'm not saying we should cut the man. In the long term he has proven himself very reliable. BUT, we've got a proven young kicker on the inactive roster who we can get back into game shape prior to the playoffs. We need to activate Hartley and sit Carney for the remaining games unless Hartley goes out there and lays an egg.

I am not sure I understand everyone's thought process. I don't believe any fan can watch and analyze a video recording from a network broadcast of a game or games and see enough of the extra points and field goal kicks to draw any conclusions they may have about Carney's kicking performance. Your just not that good. Otherwise, you would be coaching. The TV crews who videotape the game simply do not cover the snap, the hold and the kick accurately, completely, and closely enough for you fans to do that.

In addition, the comments made by some in suggesting that Carney be released casts aspersions on the coaching staff to competently do their job. As competitive as pro football is, do any of the fans who have made negative comments about Carney's kicking performance really think the Saints staff wouldn't cut Carney if they didn't think he was getting the job done? Be real. Do your job as a fan. Support the team. let the coaching staff doo theirs.

I am not sure I understand everyone's thought process. I don't believe any fan can watch and analyze a video recording from a network broadcast of a game or games and see enough of the extra points and field goal kicks to draw any conclusions they may have about Carney's kicking performance. Also, you are not at practice and don't see what is going on there. The TV crews who videotape the game simply do not cover the snap, the hold and the kick accurately, completely, and closely enough for you to do that.

In addition, the comments made by some in suggesting that Carney be released casts aspersions on the coaching staff to competently do their job. As competitive as pro football is, do any of you who have made negative comments about Carney's kicking performance really think the Saints staff wouldn't cut Carney if they didn't think he was getting the job done? Be real.

I am not sure I understand everyone's thought process. I don't believe any fan can watch and analyze a video recording from a network broadcast of a game or games and see enough of the extra points and field goal kicks to draw any conclusions they may have about Carney's kicking performance. Also, you are not at practice and don't see what is going on there. The TV crews who videotape the game simply do not cover the snap, the hold and the kick accurately, completely, and closely enough for you to do that.

In addition, the comments made by some in suggesting that Carney be released casts aspersions on the coaching staff to competently do their job. As competitive as pro football is, do any of you who have made negative comments about Carney's kicking performance really think the Saints staff wouldn't cut Carney if they didn't think he was getting the job done? Be real.
And him missing straight up field goals less than 40 yards is getting the job done. You are overanalyzing. Dude was extremely shaky and most, like me, probably figured he would miss the last field goal based off of every other kick (which is what he does for this team)

Coaches are watching both players train every week. I presume that if Hartley would be kicking way better then Carney, they will already have made the switch. I think there is more than meets the eye.

I'm ok to see Hartley on the following weeks, with the possibility of Carney returning if needed (we don't need to cut him).

Calling for Carney's removal is highly premature. You folks are unbelievable. Don't many of you know that it may not even be his fault. It could be the snapper's fault for not placing the ball in the right spot. It could the holder's fault for not get the ball down right or not not placing the ball in the right position. Indeed, Carney may be slightly off his game on one occasion. What seems obvious to you on TV may not represent the facts at all.

Seom of you are way to fickle and ready to nitpick at the drop of a hat. How about you put the pitchforks and torches down and end the witch hunt. Let the coaching staff do their job. If there is a problem, I have all the confidence in the world that they will make the proper corrections.

This is the second time recently I have spoken up about this prevalence towards mob hysteria where some of you rush to gang up on a player and hang em out to dry. The last time everyone was ready to hang Jamal Brown. Some of you need to step away from the keyboard. Don't drink the koolaid. Do not rush to judgement about a player and kick them when they had a bad day. Why be so merciless just becuase you can? It makes you seem foolish and immature to be so quick to criticize when all the facts are not in.
But don't you think it's strange that the Saints have two kickers, one that is old and misses 37 yarders in domes and one that is young, has range, and didn't miss last season? It's time to give Hartley the job back. He has the most upside and the job was his to begin with. Carney doesn't deserve to be "hung out to dry", but he does deserve to be replaced.

Maybe Carney just makes it that much more appealing to go for it on 4th down ????

we are 11-0. why on earth would you do anything to rock the boat? Carney worries me at times but at the end of the day, we are 11-0.
True, but I do find myself bitting my nails even on extra points.

Now that we're "over the hump", I think now is the ideal time to put Hartley back in.

*Note: I did not say to drop Carney. I would prefer to continue to keep both.

Loomis just said in an interview that they were keeping both kickers
That's not the question for me. The question is which one will be INACTIVE next week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom