Cut Drew Brees please. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many black people did Drew kill to deserve be called a sick human being?

I know you are emotional about the situation right now and I respect that, I just don't want you to keep saying things you would not say in a week or a in a month when the situation has calmed down.
It's not about him killing blacks personally.

It's about him helping to silence people speaking up about blacks being killed and dictating how they protest their own oppression.

He is actively spitting in the face of those who are trying to affect change and taking a whizz on the graves of the people on whose behalf they are fighting for justice.

Calling kneeling during the anthem "disrespectful" and "dishonoring the flag" are his own words verbatim.

That applies to the actions of anyone who does what he considers dishonoring the flag.
I mean, it's easy to pick single words out and twist them into a different meaning.

Did you personally talk to Drew? Do you know his stance? Ridiculous.
Again, the man has shown he cares. He has admitted his mistakes. He is willing to listen. He has a history of making things better where he can. It seems like all of the keyboard warriors with no dog in the fight are unwilling to give the dude a chance to repair what is broken. Pack mentality. Cutting him solves nothing.

Drew Brees totally lacked awareness. He had an opportunity to use his platform to send a message of unity for his fellow man, to stand in solidarity with the Black community, and let everyone know that all lives can't matter until black lives matter, but he completely missed the mark.

However, maybe this is what he needed to open his eyes to the larger issues at hand. Maybe he didn't realize he was only viewing the world from a lens that was crafted by his life experiences, and he didn't consider that other's experiences may have been different.

I will say this; I myself, a 30 something white man, gained awareness when NFL players started taking a knee several years ago. At first I didn't understand why players were doing it. I thought it was a distraction and I just wanted to talk about football. However, it truly did help me become aware. I dug deeper into the issues. I tried to be more empathetic of a plight that is not my own, of an America I have been privileged to never experience. It helped me open my eyes. Maybe this is the moment Brees needed to open his eyes.

Before anyone throws stones, calls for Brees to be cut, or casts judgment, I implore a little humanity. Yes, Brees was way out of touch, but he has also done a lot of good as well. This same man was huge in helping the community, of all races and background, come back after Katrina. Just this year, he donated $5 Million dollars to help families coping with COVID. That is 20% of his salary this year. Who among us has donated 20% of their salary for a cause greater than yourself? I know I haven't. I know Brees has amassed a lot of wealth, through endorsements, career earnings, and other business ventures, but $5 Million is more than most, if not all, the billionaire owners have been donating to fight the viral pandemic.

He is dealing with the fallout and has offered an apology. Let's hope he grows from this and uses his platform for good. Let's hope he can be as positive an influence on the social pandemic of racial injustice as he has been in face of the viral pandemic. Let's hope we all, as a society, grow from this and bring about real, much needed, change.

I agree with everything that Malcolm Jenkins said.

Brees is an embarrassment to his sparkling career and to the city after these comments and something needs to be done.

He showed where his true concern lies by placing higher value on a piece of cloth over human life.

He spoke more passionate defending a piece of cloth than he did in condemning cold-blooded murder.

Enough is enough.

Im sickened and distressed.
You have to love the age of keyboard warriors! It’s this exact mentality and self expression that entrenches the divide in this country. Drew Brees has donated more money than anyone will ever dream of on this board to the city of New Orleans. A city with the majority being made up of black families. What have you done to help out the community? If you have that awesome, but don’t talk about someone like you know him. Your reaction, along with many others, is disturbing to say the least. It represents a communistic and close minded mentality... agree with what I say or else.

You have to love the age of keyboard warriors! It’s this exact mentality and self expression that entrenches the divide in this country. Drew Brees has donated more money than anyone will ever dream of on this board to the city of New Orleans. A city with the majority being made up of black families. What have you done to help out the community? If you have that awesome, but don’t talk about someone like you know him. Your reaction, along with many others, is disturbing to say the least. It represents a communistic and close minded mentality... agree with what I say or else.
Darren Sharper was huge into charity too.

Care to excuse his behavior too?

A solid past doesn't erase the crap things a person does or says to dehumanize other humans.

Try learning that sometime.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

Drew expressed his position clearly. A very significant number of New Orleans Saints past and present then expressed theirs. Now the team has an urgent locker room issue to deal with.

Also, to the extent you say this is a problem with the country “now” as if to suggest censorship hasn’t existed in the past (notwithstanding that Drew has not been censored here). What would you prefer? Good ol’ fashioned 1950s-style McCarthyism?
I
Darren Sharper was huge into charity too.

Care to excuse his behavior too?

A solid past doesn't erase the crap things a person does or says to dehumanize other humans.

Try learning that sometime.
You compare a horrible criminal behavior to someone who just an opinion of something? Please end this thread. OMG

It's not about him killing blacks personally.

It's about him helping to silence people speaking up about blacks being killed and dictating how they protest their own oppression.

He is actively spitting in the face of those who are trying to affect change and taking a whizz on the graves of the people on whose behalf they are fighting for justice.
He isn't silencing anyone. He isnt dictating how people protest. He just said he doesnt support it. Clearly from his apology, that has changed. For the record, I supported Kaepernick when he began the whole movement, still do. Unfortunately, you can't change the mentality of a racist cop/judge/politician/etc. by kneeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom