Cut Drew Brees please. (28 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The response should be of the same degree too. Proportional punishment. I'm not American (and I'm not white, I'm original from a poor area of a 3rd world country) so maybe I am wrong, but I think what Drew did was very much deserving of criticism, but not enough to cancel everything we know of him as a person. Not enough to call him a sick human being.
Note that I didn't advocate that Brees should be raped or thrown into prison.

I said that he should be cut and/or make some restitution and redress to those impacted by what he said.

His apology is a start.

Humans are flawed in their thinking. You have a thought or opinion and someone can poke holes in it to show why your a hypocrite. Point being- if you find yourself too far left or right on a debate, you're probably wrong. That's my opinion, more than likely wrong but at least I know there is valid arguments/discussions to be had no matter what side of the spectrum you fall.

I'll go out on a limb and say 90% of the opinions you are seeing right now are non-constructive and just build more of a divide. Saying, "All Lives Matter" trivializes issues face by African Americans. Saying all whites have privilege trivializes the struggles that white person has gone through. There are many more examples, but the point being- just understand the words you use and how they make someone else feel.

If you're a reasonable person you can understand why Colin Kaepernick took a knee. Police brutality against Black Americans is real. It needs to be addressed and fixed. Can we debate if there is a better way... sure. We don't need to agree on if its appropriate, but most of us should agree that police treat African Americans differently than white folks (most of the time, not all the time).

Drew Brees is right to have his opinion. Ill timed- absolutely. He was stating what the flag meant to him. It doesn't have to mean the same thing to you. Is his opinion on kneeling correct? It's Debatable, we don't have to agree. He acknowledges that systemic oppression exist... most would agree that is a non debatable issue.

We should be able to have opinions that are not the same. Listen to the other person. Drew isn't a racist. He does sympathize with the issues face by minorities. We need to understand that there will always be differing opinions. It's lazy and idiotic to align yourself to one side. Those are the extremes where productive dialogue will not occur.

Right now is a time to focus on issues faced by the African American community. They do face racism and prejudices. There are systems in place to keep them in a disadvantageous position... but there is also systems out there to help change the issues they face.

Drew is a good dude. Flawed, as much as any of us.

Sorry for the lecture, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Attachments

• images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
Not that I didn't advocate that Brees should be raped or thrown into prison.

I said that he should be cut and/or make some restitution and redress to those impacted by what he said.

His apology is a start.

To clarify myself, I am posting on this thread much more because of you than because of Drew. I am not posting because I want to defend him or what he did but because I think you seem like a good person too and I get why you are saying everything you are saying, but I think your emotions right now will make you say things you may regret later when more calm.

I am not posting the same things in the cut Malcom Jenkins ("defending" Jenkins) thread because I don't believe the motives of that thread are as noble as the root motives of your thread.

How fitting. Drew Fumbled against Minnesota too.
Indeed but the Saints can play another game and not fumble. He cannot erase this clear mistake. It was insensitive and hurtful to many people, He should have seen the bait and weaved away. I do not think Brees is a racist. I believe he has enjoyed a human experience sheltered away from the chaos that befalls black and brown people.

I don't take back a thing!!!

Know that!!

Brees is a sick human being to say what he did and he deserves whatever happens in response what what he said.

The only thing I acknowledged was that he should apologize for his inhuman statements and that he did and that is honorable.
Please quote the inhumane part of Drew Bree's statements. The part the affects you and has made you so angry.

I agree with everything that Malcolm Jenkins said.

Brees is an embarrassment to his sparkling career and to the city after these comments and something needs to be done.

He showed where his true concern lies by placing higher value on a piece of cloth over human life.

He spoke more passionate defending a piece of cloth than he did in condemning cold-blooded murder.

Enough is enough.

Im sickened and distressed.

I hear your frustration. But I think we need to understand that our heroes are human. And we must keep in light that Brees and SP saved the soul of a city and for that matter an entire region. Brees has given his soul to bring this city back after Katrina and that's a community consisting of people who are 70% people of color.

Last edited:
No, firing someone because of a opinion they have on a stance is a communistic mentality. It stifles our ability as a democratic nation to have opposing ideas. Eventually the nation will be one singular party of politics and that's when it will fall.

But you're only allowed free speech when it doesn't offend the masses.

Drew being compared with Nazi sympathizers and serial rapists... I'm done with this thread.

Hey Rajin! Good morning Brother! We seem to live in a world where one simple human conversation takes precedent over an adult lifetime of saving communities and taking care of those less fortunate. Condemning someone for something he said that could be read from many angles, is not a sign of one individual's change in character but more the state of our screwed up society.

Let's create a list of things Drew has done for the region ad its people versus things he said that could be interpreted as cold, which is how I read it. Compassion, Compassion, Compassion and gratitude, gratitude, gratitude for Drew and what he has done for millions in this region.

But one thing we did see, is Brees beliefs when he does choose to run for office.

I hear your frustration. But I think we need to understand that our heroes are human. And we must keep in light that Brees and SP saved the soul of a city and for that matter an entire region. Brees has given his soul to bring this city back after Katrina.
I understand that but he absolutely needed to apologize for his remarks.

The type of hyper-nationalism that he is espousing is what is corrupting the youth of every country.

As Albert Einstein said: "Nationalism is a disease. It is the measles of mankind."

You aren't supposed to be so blinded by nationalism to the point that it nullifies the humanity of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom