Cut Harper, sign Goldston. (1 Viewer)

This thread is a prime example of why some understanding of the cap is needed if one intends to make such propositions.

You shouldn't follow that with...

The Saints gain only 1 million if they cut Harper because 6.1 million of his 7.1 million cap hit becomes "dead" money, meaning the 6.1 million would count against this year's cap.

Inaccurate information.

Harper has a base salary this season of $5.25m + a $100k workout bonus. His prorated signing bonus accounts for $1.75m in each of the next two seasons. The Saints have two options in terms of cutting him:

1) cut him and designate him as a post June 1st cut. This frees up his base salary and workout bonus ($5.35m total). His 2014 portion of his signing bonus will count against next year's cap, saving us $6m in 2014.

2) don't use the post 6/1 designation. This accelerates next season's portion of his signing bonus to this season, saving us $1.85m this season and $7.65m next season.

So in no way will Harper account for $6m of this year's cap space unless he is on the team.

If we cut harper we only save a million if we cut him next year we save 7 million

End my thread

url

You shouldn't follow that with...

Inaccurate information.

Harper has a base salary this season of $5.25m + a $100k workout bonus. His prorated signing bonus accounts for $1.75m in each of the next two seasons. The Saints have two options in terms of cutting him:

1) cut him and designate him as a post June 1st cut. This frees up his base salary and workout bonus ($5.35m total). His 2014 portion of his signing bonus will count against next year's cap, saving us $6m in 2014.

2) don't use the post 6/1 designation. This accelerates next season's portion of his signing bonus to this season, saving us $1.85m this season and $7.65m next season.

So in no way will Harper account for $6m of this year's cap space unless he is on the team.

This is correct.

Also, a further look at his contract will show what I stated earlier in terms of the money he has earned versus the money he is owed in guarantees. He earned $1.9 million in base salaries his first year, and $4.5 million in base salaries his second year. He also had a roster/workout bonus of $100, 000 bringing his total to $6.5 million. Add in his singing bonus of $7 million and he has earned $13.5 million toward the guarantees he is due. That leaves $2.5 million, which is part of the $6.1 million in dead money. The rest of it is $3.5 million in prorated bonus and $100, 000 in either roster/workout bonus, which, again, is likely guaranteed.

Here is the breakdown of Harper's contract: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/roman-harper/

I would love that Idea, but Jenkins needs the boot too.

I would love that Idea, but Jenkins needs the boot too.

Sometimes I feel that way, but you cant deny there is talent there. I love Harp, but I just feel like even in Ryan's system he will will not be effective. As a safety, at times you will have to cover, period. Not to mention, the things he used to be great at (tackling, stopping the run) he isnt as good any more. And his neck has gotten smaller!!!

Goldston isn't a better player than harper. All I have to say about that. Maybe they would take a young up and comer though. Those dbs in sf are products of an amazing front 7.

Those suggesting the Saints cut Harper after June 1 have a point--to a point. How does that help the Saints sign some of the UFAs and RFAs that must be signed? Who among you want to see Galette, De La Puente, and Ivory leave? Who among you wish to see an unproven left tackle, or God forbid, one of the backups from last season protecting Brees's blind side? Who wishes to see other promising young players, such as Elbert Mack and Ramon Humber, bid adios to the Saints? Who out there believes that losing a backup QB who knows the offense, such as Chase Daniel, is a good gamble to make? Who believes that good backups who are good on special teams, such as Casillas, are worth losing? I understand that the bonus money can be spread out over this year and next if the Saints release Harper and designate him a post-June 1 release, but I am not sure that is preferable to restructuring.

I am not a coach for the Saints, and I'm sure we are overlooking a variety of things in this discussion that they know but which we don't. We sometimes overlook this fact. Face it, if we were that good, we'd be earning more as an NFL coach, right?

I foresee us using Harper in sub packages and using this year to evaluate in house replacements for him. Harper kind of sucks, but I can stand one more year of him in order to really help next years cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom