Cuts/ restructures (1 Viewer)

DEUCERICKBOY02

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
They can start as early as Monday and go until march 1st. Do you see any surprise cuts or restructures during this period?

I'm not sure about surprise, but I think we will see Fairley and Byrd's contracts renegotiated, with Fairley getting a slight raise to 4-5 mil a year, for 2-3 years, and Byrd taking a cut down to the 3-4 million a year range.

I really don't see any. Byrd wouldn't be a surprise. Vaccaro could get an extension, but there's no real need to take that risk just yet. Morstead could, too. If Hooman got a bad health report, I could see him getting cut since he's expensive for a third tight end, but that's really splitting hairs and he offers value if he's recovering well. Maybe Ellerbe, if they just decide they're done on dealing with his injuries and get someone else, but I don't see that happening either. There really aren't any bad contracts left other than Fleener (too early to do anything there).

In a PPR dynasty league I traded Derrick Henry and Philip Dorset for Michael Thomas. Everyone in the league thought I gave up way too much. They think different now.

I'd expect Byrd and Morstead will be restructured.

You make a good point, WxM, about Ellerbe but I don't see that happening until another viable option is on the roster to start either FA or the draft. If anything he will remain on the roster due to what he brings when he actually is healthy.

I'm not sure about surprise, but I think we will see Fairley and Byrd's contracts renegotiated, with Fairley getting a slight raise to 4-5 mil a year, for 2-3 years, and Byrd taking a cut down to the 3-4 million a year range.

Byrd is still under contract, but I don't believe Fairly is under any signed contract at present (at least at the end of the league year).

Byrd is still under contract, but I don't believe Fairly is under any signed contract at present (at least at the end of the league year).

I maybe mistaken, but doesn't Fairley's contract void at the start of free agency?

I maybe mistaken, but doesn't Fairley's contract void at the start of free agency?

From my understanding it voided if he wasnt given a new contract by February 2017. That means he could very well be a free agent right now and free to negotiate/sign with any team right now.

From my understanding it voided if he wasnt given a new contract by February 2017. That means he could very well be a free agent right now and free to negotiate/sign with any team right now.

He is a free agent. But he cannot negotiate with another team until free agency begins in early March.

He is a free agent. But he cannot negotiate with another team until free agency begins in early March.

So if we were to re-sign him to a new contract, would we still be on the hook for the dead money Loomis pushed into this year?

So if we were to re-sign him to a new contract, would we still be on the hook for the dead money Loomis pushed into this year?
Yes. It is a separate deal. Same as if we cut a guy with a big cap hit and re-signed him to a cheaper deal. The void is just like a cut. We're still on the hook.

According to an old advocate article on Fairley's voidable 3-year contract:

The defensive tackle's $4.69 million deal will void if he's on the team on the 15th day prior to the 2017 league year, according to a source. So, in essence, there are two shell years on the deal that exist to help the Saints spread out his $2.235 million signing bonus.

The league year starts on Mar 9th I believe, so there may still be time if Underhilll's source is correct.

In a PPR dynasty league I traded Derrick Henry and Philip Dorset for Michael Thomas. Everyone in the league thought I gave up way too much. They think different now.

i-like-turtles.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom