Cutting it Close With our Own FAs... (1 Viewer)

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
To my knowledge, only Martin Gramatica and Terrance Copper have been re-signed so far. With only 3 days to go until free agency begins, the front office should look to lock up a few before they get a chance to test the market and leave for a better offer that the Saints won't match.

Offensive UFAs

QB Jamie Martin
RB Aaron Stecker
WR Devery Henderson
WR David Patten
TE Billy Miller
TE Eric Johnson
C Jeff Faine
C/G Jonathan Goodwin
OG Jamar Nesbit

Defensive UFAs

DE/DT Renaldo Wynn
DT Brian Young
MLB Mark Simoneau
CB Fred Thomas
S Steve Gleason
S Jay Bellamy

RFAs

LB Matt McCoy

Exclusive Rights FA

DE Josh Cooper

Players in bold are who I'd like to see return. Who do you want back?

These usually are last second deals. Its sort of advantageous for both sides to wait until the last possible moment. Its similar to why first round picks usually wait until just a day or so before training camp to get something hammered out. It lends leverage for both sides.

Your list is identical to mine as far as who'd I like to have back. I also wouldn't mind giving Matt McCoy a like-draft round tender since there is nothing to lose by doing that.

The thing that surprises me the most is Jeff Faine and Jonathon Goodwin... I would have thought that the Saints would want to make sure that they had a veteran C that knows this offense locked up.

The rest of the players on that list don't really jump out at you... and if the Saints want them back, they should be able to get them.

I live in DC and ran into Renaldo Wynn last weekend. He said that he thought that the Saints wanted him back and that he would ultimately resign with us. He said he really liked Sean Payton (and commented how the team really believes in him). He is even selling his house in DC and shopping for a house in Metairie. (He lived in Mandeville last season) It isn't a done deal, but Renaldo seemed optimistic for sure.

REALLY nice guy BTW. We talked for 10 or 15 minutes and I felt like I was talking to a fellow fan instead of a player.

The thing that surprises me the most is Jeff Faine and Jonathon Goodwin... I would have thought that the Saints would want to make sure that they had a veteran C that knows this offense locked up.

The rest of the players on that list don't really jump out at you... and if the Saints want them back, they should be able to get them.

I really want both of these guys locked in. to me they are probably the most important on the list. they protect the franchise and are pretty good at doing it. o-line injuries dash playoff hopes faster than a crap secondary.

I don't know why everyone disses on Nesbit. he has played very well the last 2 years. I definitely want him back, unless we bring in a FA upgrade. The paper also noted last week that he and the Saints wee close to a new deal...

I live in DC and ran into Renaldo Wynn last weekend. He said that he thought that the Saints wanted him back and that he would ultimately resign with us. He said he really liked Sean Payton (and commented how the team really believes in him). He is even selling his house in DC and shopping for a house in Metairie. (He lived in Mandeville last season) It isn't a done deal, but Renaldo seemed optimistic for sure.

REALLY nice guy BTW. We talked for 10 or 15 minutes and I felt like I was talking to a fellow fan instead of a player.

The comment about the players buying-into Payton's scheme is a huge comment. I think last year (with the lack of discipline with penalties and turnovers) will be improved.

Wynn is a gamer. Glad to hear he will probably be back.

Good inside story post, Bergeaux. :9:

:gosaints:

Glad to hear about Wynn. It's a weak DE group outside the first round and he can play both DE and DT. I see the Saints signing two out of three with Faine, Nesbit, and Goodwin. Faine me be out due to his only playing center and wanting too much money.

Ya know we all thought Steck would leave but with the news tha Mike Turner was finding out that he may have a heard time finding a contract maybe Turner is just a way to get a younger Stecker to replace Duece later. if we miss on Turner we could always resign Steck then.

I agree with the OP as far as keeping and opting not to resign the players not in bold.
I will be ecstactic if we finally cut ties with B. Young, F. Thomas once and for all.

Faine is not going anywhere. Most O-lineman play or excel at only one position unless moved and Faine has never been asked to move to play guard. That is why back ups that play several positions are so valuable...like Goodwin. If we let Faine walk, we are creating another need and not locking up one of the better centers (not all-pro, but good) in the league.
I know, I know...many on this board think Goodwin is better than Faine……..

Man I hope we resign Faine. I really thought he was an upgrade over Bentley and one of the better centers in the league !!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom