Cutting Jenkins and Alonzo gets us to $31 million under the cap (1 Viewer)

It’s too bad Alonso got injured because I really liked what I saw from him as a Saint. He’s a tough player and I loved the way he hit.

Just remember Drew's 21.5mil hit this year is there unless a deal is reached before free agency. Sign him after mar 18 and you have the 21.5 plus his hit for this season.

Even if we sign him before free agency I'm not sure his dead cap hit can be erased for this year.

Just remember Drew's 21.5mil hit this year is there unless a deal is reached before free agency. Sign him after mar 18 and you have the 21.5 plus his hit for this season.

Even if we sign him before free agency I'm not sure his dead cap hit can be erased for this year.

I believe it can be pushed... I’ve heard many who know more than me about the cap, that Drew’s dead money can be extended into the future... “kick the can” so they say.

The Saints really have to play this FA season well. If they do it right, we could end up with as many as 2 3rd rounders by letting Teddy and Peat sign elsewhere for big contracts. GIven our younger players up for contract, that is where we need to concentrate rather than spending a lot of money on the FA market (and therefore, finally take advantage of comp picks).

THIS is what the team finally needs to do. Not sign any high priced Free Agents, resign or extend who you have now before free agency. Maybe pick up a player who is CUT to fill out the roster. Use your first and third this year on CB and OG, whichever pick is the better option. Maybe even trade down in the first, into the second for a Guard. Let those TWO big fat third-round comp picks FINALLY come to you in 2021 and you can have a great 2021 draft with a boatload of picks. The contracts that Teddy and Peat sign will almost certainly qualify for third-round comp picks.

Jenkins needs to stay, but I’d hate for the Saints to give an older guy an extension to reduce his cap hit. He may fall off next year.

The saints draft Kristan Fulton at 24 and keep Jenkins

Also, Armstead can be re-structured to give $5 million in cap room and Thomas' contract can be re-structured to give about $9 million in additional space. I'm sure there are more deals that can be re-structured to provide relief.

didn't cam agree to restructure at the pro bowl? or in the last 2 weeks definitely.

THIS is what the team finally needs to do. Not sign any high priced Free Agents, resign or extend who you have now before free agency. Maybe pick up a player who is CUT to fill out the roster. Use your first and third this year on CB and OG, whichever pick is the better option. Maybe even trade down in the first, into the second for a Guard. Let those TWO big fat third-round comp picks FINALLY come to you in 2021 and you can have a great 2021 draft with a boatload of picks. The contracts that Teddy and Peat sign will almost certainly qualify for third-round comp picks.
Maybe Teddy (because he's a QB) but not Peat imo.

I'm guessing that Peat could land you a 4th round comp pick... but likely a 5th.

I think I remember Jenkins complimenting his fit with the other players. Him and Eli Apple healthy is a good combo. It really stunk that Lattimore got hurt in Minnesota game because I don't think they make that completion. He would not have gotten hurt if his own teammate didn't load up for a big hit and got his own teammate instead.

Id like to keep both players. There are other guys to cut…

but as every year I try not to think too much about. My small brain cant compete with Loomis numbers magic
just let it happen :D

Maybe Teddy (because he's a QB) but not Peat imo.

I'm guessing that Peat could land you a 4th round comp pick... but likely a 5th.

I just looked at the contracts and formula for 2019 comp picks. I think you are correct, projecting a potential contract for Peat, he would likely bring back a 4th or possibly just a 5th as a comp pick. The Warford contract would have been about a 4th round comp pick. I think the contract Peat signs will be at least in that range or better. To get to a 3rd round comp pick, Peat would have to sign a new contract that would pay him around the range of the top 3-4 guards or around the top 10 tackles. That is a bit rich for Peat.

Teddy should be a 3rd round comp pick IF the Saints stay away from the free-agent market....which we know they won't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom