Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (2 Viewers)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Cable prices are through the roof. I've been feeling the squeeze for way too long and its time to do something.

I've been hesitant to cut it during football season, but now that all of the games I care about watching are over, I would like to have a discussion about what my options are for still gaining access to shows and sports without the heavily overpriced cable/sat bill.

For Christmas, I made an investment in an Xbone (mostly for my kids) but also figured that it would be the hub of my eventual cable-free streaming media paradise. But from there I'm at a loss for how the rest of the setup should work to gain access to things I will want to see (movies, MNF, DVR like recording TV shows, etc.)

My TV plugged into a Cox DVR box is overpriced and dated so its time to modernize with some help from my friends here. Let's talk new media centers and all the ways people are accessing their media content after cutting cable.

This doesn't really cover what you want to know but just putting it out there that "convenience TV" or "surfing" is mostly what you will lose. Everything else can be had through other sources. I kind of miss it, but not for $90/mo with endless options of bottom of the barrel reality shows comprising so much of today's content. My wife complains a bit but all in all we do ok. We know where to get everything else online, Netfix, Hulu, sketchy sites, etc.

This doesn't really cover what you want to know but just putting it out there that "convenience TV" or "surfing" is mostly what you will lose. Everything else can be had through other sources.

mostly. Live sports is the issue for me. Which is what ****** me off about ESPN ending up with so much of the postseason football this year (mostly talking bowls):rant:

We got a Roku last year and it's been great for us. Basically with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and different channel offerings I don't feel like I miss much. There are a ton of channels like YouTube, A&E, History, CNN, and if you're an MLB or NHL fan you can order their sports packages. There are smaller channels that specialize in niche offerings like westerns, anime, silent movies or even cartoons. And with Plex I stream anything from my PC to the TV.

Well first i'd go to radio shack and see about getting an HD antenna if the digital tuner on the TV doesn't work well (most don't). In the GNO area, i get CBS, NBC, ABC, CW and all in best HD picture i have ever had. Sometimes i have to move the antenna but worth all of the money i save.

I use a PS4 in the living room and Chromecast in my bedroom. My remote for Chromecast is my cell phone. I just have all of the apps for Hulu, Netflix, etc on my phone and access content that way. It would be a little easier i guess to just get a tablet and use that but not in too much of a rush as my cell works just fine.

I eventually want to get a Macbook and start downloading content there and streaming it to tv that way.

Well first i'd go to radio shack and see about getting an HD antenna if the digital tuner on the TV doesn't work well (most don't). In the GNO area, i get CBS, NBC, ABC, CW and all in best HD picture i have ever had. Sometimes i have to move the antenna but worth all of the money i save.

I use a PS4 in the living room and Chromecast in my bedroom. My remote for Chromecast is my cell phone. I just have all of the apps for Hulu, Netflix, etc on my phone and access content that way. It would be a little easier i guess to just get a tablet and use that but not in too much of a rush as my cell works just fine.

I eventually want to get a Macbook and start downloading content there and streaming it to tv that way.

I grabbed this Outdoor Antenna - The Sky HDTV Attic/Outdoor Antenna | Mohu and hung it from a rafter in my attic. It patches into my existing coax cable runs so all TVs can now get OTA TV off of one antenna with no additional wiring.

Espn3 does carry a lot of games (of course you need a cable provider - can you 'borrow' a friend's info?)
We have roku downstairs and chromecast upstairs if I had to pick one def chromecast - haven't looked at Amazon fire stick yet and I lf I rented/bought a lot of movies if probably go that way

NOW
speaking purely hypothetically - let's say OP is a big Walking Dead fan - if he didn't have cable, how could he get to watch his show?
Also realize OP might not be native to backdoor internet solutions
Walk him through the steps and make sure he doesn't get viruses and malware
Hypothetically

For science

Espn3 does carry a lot of games (of course you need a cable provider - can you 'borrow' a friend's info?)
We have roku downstairs and chromecast upstairs if I had to pick one def chromecast - haven't looked at Amazon fire stick yet and I lf I rented/bought a lot of movies if probably go that way

NOW
speaking purely hypothetically - let's say OP is a big Walking Dead fan - if he didn't have cable, how could he get to watch his show?
Hypothetically

For science

The Walking Dead can be watched on the AMC website once it airs. You can stream to TV through your Apple TV or chromecast. I do this sometimes but end up watching on my iPad most of the time.

NOW
Hypothetically

For science

When it comes to SAFE science practice, I know that OSHA would recommend an up to date AV, adblock plus on your browser, no clicking anything just because it says so, no downloading anything just because it says so. Stream only, drive by only. Those are the regs as I understand them according to the most recent Federal Field Guide for Safe Scientific Research of Grey Area Websites. Note that this is not for anonymity, just for making sure you've got two rubbers on. :ezbill:

The Walking Dead can be watched on the AMC website once it airs. You can stream to TV through your Apple TV or chromecast. I do this sometimes but end up watching on my iPad most of the time.
My friend just told me about Show Box for android. It has tons of free movies and TV shows. I just downloaded it and watched one movie on in by mirroring my phone to my tv.

I am a bit versed with the backdoor solutions ;)
I am mainly concerned with live sports, getting/slinging kids channels to their bedrooms, keeping up with current network shows or DVR options for things like Modern Family that I pick up on the attic antenna.

I guess mostly which other hardware solutions are best to go along with an XBone, home NAS, iMac setup.

My friend just told me about Show Box for android. It has tons of free movies and TV shows. I just downloaded it and watched one movie on in by mirroring my phone to my tv.

Friend of mine told me about this about a month or so ago. Not sure how to download it safely though since it is not on traditional app stores.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom