Cyber Monday - need a new tv (1 Viewer)

With kids who leave the tv on, burn in would be a risk, so I'm sticking with LCD. Anyone hear of any more good deals yet? I keep looking, but nothing great so far that isn't already sold out.

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)

As a proud owner of two Panasonic plasmas I must say that the burn in issue was corrected years ago.

I have a top of the line 50in G10 and an elcheapo 42in TC version.

With kids who leave the tv on, burn in would be a risk, so I'm sticking with LCD. Anyone hear of any more good deals yet? I keep looking, but nothing great so far that isn't already sold out.

Thanks for the help, everyone. :)
Burn ins are over rated. I worked at a tech store and we would leave tvs on 12 hours a day on the same channel every day and they did not "burn in". I once asked the service tech about it and he said the only way to get a "burn in" nowadays was to leave the tv paused for hours on the same screen and he said that might not even work.

Plasmas don't suffer burn in nowadays like they did 5 years ago.

Russ -recent plasma convert

+1. Burn-in is no longer an issue from my experience. You WILL get temporary image retention, but it always goes away. Just about all the new plasmas have built-in protective measures as well.

I bought my 50" Panasonic G10 during the playoffs last year and haven't had any problems with permanent burn-in, and I play a lot of video games/watch plenty of sports that have scoreboards and HUDs that don't move.

http://www.samsclub.com:80/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1113848&navAction=push

I bought this TV a couple of months ago for my apartment. The price has gone down $70 since I got it. It was a steal when I got it and it's only a bigger steal now. Awesome TV if you're looking for something for your living room. It's a little bigger than what you were looking for, but the price is great. The picture is awesome and the sound is surprisingly good.

+1. Burn-in is no longer an issue from my experience. You WILL get temporary image retention, but it always goes away. Just about all the new plasmas have built-in protective measures as well.

I bought my 50" Panasonic G10 during the playoffs last year and haven't had any problems with permanent burn-in, and I play a lot of video games/watch plenty of sports that have scoreboards and HUDs that don't move.
That's the TV I just bought. I love it! (by the way I had been looking and researching for quality and price for a couple years before I pulled the trigger)

one note about LG....

5 years ago I bought one of thier first generation Plasma TV's- 50".

After about 9 months, there was a pink vertical line about 1/4" wide that wouldnt go away. After 2 service calls to repair unsuccessful they refunded my ENTIRE purchase and didnt put any stipulation on what to buy next.

I just wanted to share that since customer service these days is part of what I pay/look for.

I've had nothing but LG phones until I got my iphone, and they've always been rock solid in terms of reliability. I've been looking at LG tv's, but don't see anything that fits the specs I want and that also works within my budget. But if I do, I won't hesitate to go with LG.

Another question...60 Hz vs 120 Hz...is that something really important? Also, the contrast ratios seem to vary WIDELY between tv's...any input there?

Thankfully the presence of a built in HD tuner is not important...we tune through the cable box, so that is an optional feature for us.

I've had nothing but LG phones until I got my iphone, and they've always been rock solid in terms of reliability. I've been looking at LG tv's, but don't see anything that fits the specs I want and that also works within my budget. But if I do, I won't hesitate to go with LG.

Another question...60 Hz vs 120 Hz...is that something really important? Also, the contrast ratios seem to vary WIDELY between tv's...any input there?

Thankfully the presence of a built in HD tuner is not important...we tune through the cable box, so that is an optional feature for us.

Re: refresh rates (60 vs 120) - the answer is "depends on who you ask" (and what you're watching. Generally, film is shot at 24hz (DVDs), so you have to do some conversion on a 60Hz TV (not divisible by 24) while you do not on a 120Hz Tv (divisible). This affects the picture to some extent (the 120Hz covers more refresh rates, and the 240Hz even more) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_image_formats. However, many people find the 120 and 240 TVs to be so sharp that they seem artificial, so it kind of depends on your own opinion. I would try viewing some side by side and decide what you like.

And, yes, contrast ratios matter (higher is better), but there are also differences in measurements across manufacturers, effects in different lighting, etc, so while it is a rough guide, again you have to see what you like. YMMV.

Pretty much most, if not all, TVs will have a tuner these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom