Cyber Monday - need a new tv (1 Viewer)

Re: refresh rates (60 vs 120) - the answer is "depends on who you ask" (and what you're watching. Generally, film is shot at 24hz (DVDs), so you have to do some conversion on a 60Hz TV (not divisible by 24) while you do not on a 120Hz Tv (divisible). This affects the picture to some extent (the 120Hz covers more refresh rates, and the 240Hz even more) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_image_formats. However, many people find the 120 and 240 TVs to be so sharp that they seem artificial, so it kind of depends on your own opinion. I would try viewing some side by side and decide what you like.

And, yes, contrast ratios matter (higher is better), but there are also differences in measurements across manufacturers, effects in different lighting, etc, so while it is a rough guide, again you have to see what you like. YMMV.

Pretty much most, if not all, TVs will have a tuner these days.

Had not heard that about the 60 HZ vs 120 HZ in relation to the FPS. My understanding was that the issue would be ghosting on fast action scenes.

The 24 vs 30 frames comes in when you're watching a progressive scan DVD and the TV set you have does the 3:2 reverse pulldown. So if the set doesn't have that or you are watching TV, then everything you watch will be at 30 FPS making the 60/120 argument irrelevant? :scratch:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

I second that you should view some of the sets first to get an idea what suits you.

The 24 vs 30 frames comes in when you're watching a progressive scan DVD and the TV set you have does the 3:2 reverse pulldown. So if the set doesn't have that or you are watching TV, then everything you watch will be at 30 FPS making the 60/120 argument irrelevant? :scratch:

I'm kind of talking beyond my own head here, so this may be totally wrong, but my understanding is that you wouldn't have to do the pulldown on the 120Hz TV. For whatever that's worth.

I'm kind of talking beyond my own head here, so this may be totally wrong, but my understanding is that you wouldn't have to do the pulldown on the 120Hz TV. For whatever that's worth.

The reverse pulldown removes the frames that were added to make a 24fps movie 30fps. Doing the math, it would go evenly and you get 4 or 5 refreshes per frame on a 120hz tv.

Now a 60hz set actually doing the 3:2 reverse pulldown would wind up with some funky remainders. I guess it could be detectable as the refresh would overlay frames at a change. It would be pretty awful interlaced, but progressive shouldn't be as bad since you redraw the entire screen. I wonder if the TV would detect the difference and drop the refresh to 48fps or if that would cause flicker. It might be a moot point if no one makes a 60hz tv with 3:2 reverse pulldown.

I think the end result is I'd buy at least a 120hz TV after looking at it to make sure it isn't artificial.

Projectorpeople.com has/had the Epson 8350 for $1099 with coupon code "PARADE." The $200 savings pushed me to retire my Sanyo Z2.

The reverse pulldown removes the frames that were added to make a 24fps movie 30fps. Doing the math, it would go evenly and you get 4 or 5 refreshes per frame on a 120hz tv.

Now a 60hz set actually doing the 3:2 reverse pulldown would wind up with some funky remainders. I guess it could be detectable as the refresh would overlay frames at a change. It would be pretty awful interlaced, but progressive shouldn't be as bad since you redraw the entire screen. I wonder if the TV would detect the difference and drop the refresh to 48fps or if that would cause flicker. It might be a moot point if no one makes a 60hz tv with 3:2 reverse pulldown.

I think the end result is I'd buy at least a 120hz TV after looking at it to make sure it isn't artificial.

SCHWOOOOOOOM

That's the sound of all of that going waaaay over my head, LOL. I'm always amazed at the expertise here on sr.com.

I think comparing tv's is the best option, I agree. Never thought about 120+ being "artificial", but that's a great point.

Someone recommended this one to me; anyone ever heard of this brand? What are your thoughts on the specs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003LPUWWM

The reviews on it are good but I never heard of the company.

TV purchasing is like buying audio equipment. Everybody has their views and there is always something "not good" about every product. I think most decent LCDs are good for most people. Now if you are into having the sharpest this and the brightest that, then you will spend a lot of money.

But at the end of the day when you are sitting in your recliner watching Family Guy, there is not much difference between most sets.

I ended up with the panasonic plasma 42" HD 720p(highest rated by consumer reports)for the bedroom...Copied the Walmart online price sheet and Bestbuy matched it(they will check the Walmart for availability before matching) $478 plus tax:9:
The wife asked:"Why not just buy at Walmart"...I feel better buying technology from an electronics store. Maybe it's just me:idunno:

I'm really looking at LCD tvs, vs. plasma. There's a Philips 42" at Walmart that intrigues me; it's a refurb for $499 with free ship-to-store. All the reviews are 5-star. But it's not a cyber monday special, so I'm hoping to find a better deal before the end of the day tomorrow. :)
Refurb TV? Or any electroincs really:scratch:? Check the warranty carefully...Just trying to help...

I ended up with the panasonic plasma 42" HD 720p(highest rated by consumer reports)for the bedroom...Copied the Walmart online price sheet and Bestbuy matched it(they will check the Walmart for availability before matching) $478 plus tax:9:
The wife asked:"Why not just buy at Walmart"...I feel better buying technology from an electronics store. Maybe it's just me:idunno:

I'd rather buy from Walmart if the choice is between them and Best Buy. At least your return policy is easy at Walmart.

I'd rather buy from Walmart if the choice is between them and Best Buy. At least your return policy is easy at Walmart.
Don't know. Never had to return anything to Best Buy. Their customer service has been impeccable when relied upon. Just my preference, to each his own.:tpenny::shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom