D. Hall Deal Done--Falcons now have 4 of the first 48 picks in the draft. (merged) (1 Viewer)

All those picks worry me. This is how you build a team, which is why I hate trading up for players. I would rather trade down and pick up more picks.

If they pick well, the could become a force. If they do some smart trading they could even end up with more picks to build with next year as well.

I HOPE that they miss on several. I don't want an instant powerhouse in the NFC South...

How can they afford this? I am only fairly versed in the exact rules of the cap, but I thought they were in very, like over the max, bad cap position? I have looked around at a few sources and I believe as of 2-1-08 they were 30 mil under, but man they have spent some money since. I say we trade for their accountant.

O yeah and no way ATL deals him to us. We would see the glow of the GA Dome burning if that happened.

Personally I rather have Hall and Matt Schaub then two 2nd round picks...I mean really are you going to get a better corner with a second rounder?

Yeah, they very well might since Hall has only had one good season and that was two years ago. Not to mention the 70 million Hall is asking the Raiders for that a rookie won't have to be paid. Atlanta is rebuilding. They couldn't afford to tie up that much in an overrated CB who thinks he is better then he is.

False...They could trade away their franchise rights to him.

No, thats inaccurate. He's not under contract. He has to sign a contract or the franchise tender. And the franchise tender is essentially a one year contract. You can't trade a player thats not under contract. Franchise tag gives the former team compensation if anyone else signs the player. It does not give the former team the right to trade that player as if he was under contract. When the player signs the tender then he's under contract and can be dealt to another team. However, that situation would probably not occur either since the new team will want the services of a "tag worthy player" to be guaranteed for several years, not just one. The former team would have to work out a sign and trade before a deal is done and the franchise tag is rescinded. Otherwise, the player immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent once the franchise tag is lifted, and the former team receives no compensation. So the former team would have to the sign the player to a contract, THEN trade him.

Yeah I don't know about them being tough this year either. Turning over the whole roster, having a lot of rookies, etc. Definitely setting them up to be a solid team in 2 or so years once these guys all start to get some good real NFL experience. I'm not looking forward to the 2010 or 2011 Falcons, but for now I'm still not that worried.

that sounds like us in the 2006 offseason.

Atlanta would be awful! They have Turner and Brooking as their only really good players on the entire team. A few, if not all, of their picks should turn out to be busts, just playing the odds. This makes them far worse. They have no talent.
What? Brooking a really good player?
The Falcons have more good players than you think. Jerious Norwood, Roddy White, Tyson Clabo, John Abraham, and Michael Boley are all good players.

What? Brooking a really good player?
The Falcons have more good players than you think. Jerious Norwood, Roddy White, Tyson Clabo, John Abraham, and Michael Boley are all good players.

Please, step away from the juice before you hurt yourself.

D. Hall 7 yrs 70 Million!?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports DeAngelo Hall will sign a seven-year, $70 million contract with the Raiders.
However, as NFL Network's Adam Schefter has reported, the deal is far from done. The sides haven't agreed on exact compensation. Hall is flying to meet with owner Al Davis on Wednesday night and if all goes well, will sign the most lucrative contract for a cornerback in league history. Nate Clements' deal was for seven years, $64 million (not eight years, $80 million). Hall's signing bonus and amount of guaranteed money is still unknown. Mar. 18 - 6:54 pm et

found it on rotoworlds website.

Does anyone else find this to be way too much money?

No, thats inaccurate. He's not under contract. He has to sign a contract or the franchise tender. And the franchise tender is essentially a one year contract. You can't trade a player thats not under contract. Franchise tag gives the former team compensation if anyone else signs the player. It does not give the former team the right to trade that player as if he was under contract. When the player signs the tender then he's under contract and can be dealt to another team. However, that situation would probably not occur either since the new team will want the services of a "tag worthy player" to be guaranteed for several years, not just one. The former team would have to work out a sign and trade before a deal is done and the franchise tag is rescinded. Otherwise, the player immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent once the franchise tag is lifted, and the former team receives no compensation. So the former team would have to the sign the player to a contract, THEN trade him.

You are 100% correct. After doing research I came across some league verbage that I had not been aware of. You do indeed have to sign your tender before being dealt. I believe I had this confused with situations where teams trade away drafted players' rights.

Thanks for the info. :9:

I believe I had this confused with situations where teams trade away drafted players' rights.

Thanks for the info. :9:

No problem, yeah that makes sense. In the case of drafted players, you can trade away their rights even though they are not under contract yet. I believe that may be the only situation where that is possible. You're right though, It can get confusing.

If it only cost a 2nd and a 6th this year, we should have made that deal!

Umm odds are the 'Cons would not have traded Denagelo Hall in division, especially to theier hated rival, or if they did trade him to the Saints it would have cost more because of being in division and rivals...

That'd be as likely as the Packers trading Brett Favre to my Vikings for a bag of bubble gum...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom