D-Line bringing good pressure this year. (1 Viewer)

Forest

Banned
Reaction score
Sacks:

C. Grant: 4
W. Smith: 5.5
H. Thomas: 2.5
B. Young: 4.5

Total: 18.5

That's pretty solid!

I'd like to see C. Grant and W.Smith both get 10+ this year.

The DL has had a huge impact on our fortunes this year. The O has rarely been taken out of the game plan, and scurried to play from behind. I'd like to add a stud LB and CB to the roster next season. Os get stats. Ds get rings.

Just as important, although I'm having trouble reconciling it with the stats, it seems like our run defense is more stout and consistent this year. Doesn't really square with our being in teh mid-20s in yards per carry and about 17th in yards per game, but...

The D-Line was non-existent against Baltimore. Other than that they have played pretty solid.

Just as important, although I'm having trouble reconciling it with the stats, it seems like our run defense is more stout and consistent this year. Doesn't really square with our being in teh mid-20s in yards per carry and about 17th in yards per game, but...

We've given up some big runs outside, but teams have had trouble pounding it inside (and therefore getting a consistent ground game).

We clobbered Jamal Lewis most of the Baltimore game, especially in the first half. It was the complete inability to stop basic slant patterns on 3rd and long

Our run defense wasn't that bad last year, I think if you compared the stats to the 2004 season you would see a vast improvement.

The only other thing that can explain the run defense looking so much better is the opposing teams hitting the big runs every so often and our defense shutting them down for most runs instead of the 6 yards every single play. I remember watching the 2002-2004 teams have the opposing teams offense drive the ball 80 yards and almost all of them being running plays, I have not seen that this year. Plus teams are playing from behind which means we are playing the pass and our defense is giving them the run allowing them better ypc. Regardless of what the stats say our defense looks much better against the run than they have in the previous years.

I wouldn't even try to compare stats to teams of recent past. This is a new team all around and working together very well. We are definitely playing better and getting the ball back to the offense. We need to continue playing at a highlevel and take advantage of some of the INT opportunities. Joe Vitt is doing a very good job so far with this group. I am sure he has other coaching help but he is the the assisted HC / D Coordinator.

And with everything said, Charles Grant must stay next year. The raw emotion he leaves on the field is incredible. If we were to assign the "heart and soul" label, it would be on Charles Grant.

The guy is 10th in the league in tackles among defensive lineman, 4th in the conference, and 2nd in the division (to J Peppers)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...006&timeframe=ToDate&sort=128&old_category=DE

And I don't think he had a "bad" year last year as he was 20th, 8th, and 2nd (to the Fresh Prince)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...n_2005&timeframe=All&sort=128&old_category=DE

I agree Monkey... CG always plays with heart.... and we NEED to keep him!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom