D-Scheme (1 Viewer)

CowtownSaint

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
It really seems to me that we are either:

1- Employing a scheme that gives up the boundary 3rd as well as the hook/curl
2- Employing a scheme that is a tad above our ability

Last year, even watching Baldys Breakdowns, we would see Lattimore bail and rotate across the field to a deep middle coverage, while our safety would play underneath. A simple, yet complicated scheme based on the call and route. This sticks out to me, mostly because it was an execution of a play, WITH adjustments, WITH communication.

We seem to seriously lack the communication and adjustment elements on D. When I say that, I mean within our scheme. It is clear that DA is trying to force this playbook, however I wonder if it is just too much, or if it has gone way past what we were doing last year. Keep in mind we had blown some major coverages at the end of the season. There seems to be no chemistry between our safteys and corners. Its almost as if everyone in the secondary is out of position.

To me, our defence really falls on coaching, I really dont feel like we are running a system to our strengths and it has shown. DA needs to get this cleaned up immediately, we cant afford shoot outs every week

Agree. What's the point of bringing in a veteran like Coleman, yet he's not helping PJ or KC ..??

Also, what's up with only a 3 man rush on critical plays that gave Ryan 5 seconds or more?

We have Demario, a gr8 player & also have Davenport improving... yet defense has regressed.

(I'm still wondering why PJ was kept but Maulet was cut.)

It really seems to me that we are either:

1- Employing a scheme that gives up the boundary 3rd as well as the hook/curl
2- Employing a scheme that is a tad above our ability

Last year, even watching Baldys Breakdowns, we would see Lattimore bail and rotate across the field to a deep middle coverage, while our safety would play underneath. A simple, yet complicated scheme based on the call and route. This sticks out to me, mostly because it was an execution of a play, WITH adjustments, WITH communication.

We seem to seriously lack the communication and adjustment elements on D. When I say that, I mean within our scheme. It is clear that DA is trying to force this playbook, however I wonder if it is just too much, or if it has gone way past what we were doing last year. Keep in mind we had blown some major coverages at the end of the season. There seems to be no chemistry between our safteys and corners. Its almost as if everyone in the secondary is out of position.

To me, our defence really falls on coaching, I really dont feel like we are running a system to our strengths and it has shown. DA needs to get this cleaned up immediately, we cant afford shoot outs every week
There was a quote from Crawley in one of these articles on the game from the Advocate or Nola.com...I'm not going to go find it right now...but paraphrased it said something like "our defensive coordinator likes to give a lot of different looks so we have to do a better job of changing the looks and still covering our man".

Which, sounds maybe like we are back to the complexity of the scheme design being an issue, which it has been in the past.

Dunno, It just seems like you'd have to work extra hard to have some of the egregious break downs this defense routinely has.

Anyone see this quote from Crawley?

"Alot of guys are still learning.....DA does a good job of disguising the coverage and doing different things. We just have to be in tune when he changes up the coverages and different looks"

Pretty clear to me that it's DA play calls. He needs to simplify (again.. like last year) and add wrinkles as we go.

Underhill: Saints know they have 'room to grow' defensively after struggles in win over Falcons
I posted before I saw everything. That's the one...

Great post, Cow. I agree.

I feel like our defensive scheme is the following:

There was a quote from Crawley in one of these articles on the game from the Advocate or Nola.com...Dunno, It just seems like you'd have to work extra hard to have some of the egregious break downs this defense routinely has.

When I switch to other games, I am amazed that they don’t just give up bomb after bomb. That’s just truth no hyperbole.
I literally think to myself, wow, that’s what a defense looks like?

Julio Jones and Ridley are going to give us fits for years. Though, matt ryan always finds a way to choke.

I think you will see more lattimore in the slot while P Rob is put. Keep Williams at boundary. Similiar to what we did against Vikings in the playoffs and i agree gotta play more cover 3 and cover 2 concepts. Till we get this worked out

It's hard to complain when you are winning games, but it's pretty frustrating to not be able to field consistent defenses when so many resources are being dedicated to it. You can only look to coaching at this point.

The impression I get of DA is that he is a meticulous coordinator that has a LOT of technicality within the playbook. The problem with this is that no matter how genius it is on paper, you’ve got to teach it to 11 guys and trust them to understand alignment/assignment and unselfishly execute.

I think we’ve got guys that just aren’t grasping the wit of the playbook, and we’ve got some serious issues at #2 CB.

Our guys really want to make a play, but we’re biting on every double move. As soon as we adjust, the underneath stuff starts to gash us. It would seem someone is consistently out of position.

Guys.
I already laid out our defensive scheme. Seriously.
No one understands our scheme? Maybe @RevDeuceWindham will write an article to expound on our D scheme, which again, is as folllows:

I think you will see more lattimore in the slot while P Rob is put. Keep Williams at boundary. Similiar to what we did against Vikings in the playoffs and i agree gotta play more cover 3 and cover 2 concepts. Till we get this worked out

I’d settle for a ‘cover anyone’ scheme adjustment at this point. ?

It's hard to complain when you are winning games, but it's pretty frustrating to not be able to field consistent defenses when so many resources are being dedicated to it. You can only look to coaching at this point.
You will win 50/50 on these shootouts.

Bad defense trumps amazing offense. Nets to zero.

So, they gotta get this fixed to reach goals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom