Da Gumbo Thread (1 Viewer)

Saute them in your roux, right before it's done to the color you want. Not only does it slow down the roux, preventing it from burning, but it allows the trinity to saute, and pick up some flavor. Its a great way to prevent your roux from burning.

kd

Exactly right. I would also add Bell Pepper in to the mix.

A few time saving tips I have are just to buy the "Guidry Creole Seasoning Mix" or some other brand. It comes pre-chopped with onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery and parsley. Sometimes I add a little more garlic. Another tip is to use Savoie's or some other pre-made roux. My mother switched to it years ago. It's easier, less chance of getting burned and it tastes the same. Flower and oil taste the same pretty much no matter what you do.

My other favorite tip is to use fried turkey carcasses to make your stock. You can leave some meat on it and use some of the leftover turkey to add some meat to your gumbo. I think making your own stock with a fried turkey carcass or a chicken carcass if that is what you have, really important. You have got to cook it down for many hours with celery, onions and bay leaf. Unlike roux, you just can't duplicate a good stock by buying some can or box chicken broth.

& * # #@!

I'd like to know how and why a gumbo sours. I just made a big pot last night and it's beginning to sour.

For exchanging recipes, roux hints, cooking methods., etc. It's truly and art which every person in the Gulf South who cooks attempts to master.

I'm making Seafood gumbo today. My question is has anybody ever sauteed the onion, celery and garlic before putting them in the pot?

I cook mine 99% of the time the way you are doing it. Saute the onions, garlic and celery (I add bell peppers) in a separate pot while I'm making the roux, mainly because I'm pressed for time and gumbo is a staple meal around my house. My kids think mine is the best. It's not, but it's quick and easy. The method produces a good return for the time. If your looking for shortcuts, try adding Lipton Onion Soup Mix as well after everything is thrown together. I usually add some Rotel (mild, if I'm expecting a lot of lightweights). Bon appetit!

Damn... Now yall got me hungry.... I am a good cook... If I ever feed an old gal, they want to marry me.... But I dunno... I think that my chicken sausage Gumbo is ok.. But somethings missing, and I can;t figure it out....

I wish I could try someone elses and have them try mine and compare... I mean it's ok and pretty tastey.... One thing that I have started doing but I haven;t done with a gumbo yet... Is that I am swapping Chicken Broth for Beef Broth, and it's been given my stuff a little extra kick....

But I just need to see it done from a master gumbo'er I guess.... Cause I am just not 100% satisfied.

J

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom