Da Gumbo Thread (1 Viewer)

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Reaction score
For exchanging recipes, roux hints, cooking methods., etc. It's truly and art which every person in the Gulf South who cooks attempts to master.

I'm making Seafood gumbo today. My question is has anybody ever sauteed the onion, celery and garlic before putting them in the pot?

Saute them in your roux, right before it's done to the color you want. Not only does it slow down the roux, preventing it from burning, but it allows the trinity to saute, and pick up some flavor. Its a great way to prevent your roux from burning.

kd

correct, you throw your freshly chopped celery, onion, bell pepper into your roux once its the color of choice...deep brown/chocolate for me.

dont throw it too hard though...that stuff is known as cajun napalm, I have scars on my hands to prove it.

Excellent suggestion, and I'll have to try it next time I make it.

I went ahead and sauteed the vegtables separate, but I'm cooking the roux in bacon grease.

Heh. Cajun Napalm.:worthy:

I found onions would spoil before I could use them all, so I started to saute' and freeze the seasonings I use most--onions, bellpepper, celery, garlic. Then when I use them for a gumbo (or anything else) it cuts time off the preparation-no chopping and faster cooking overall.
When making various dishes, like spaghetti or chili, additional seasonings can be added easily to make the dish as desired.

Saute them in your roux, right before it's done to the color you want. Not only does it slow down the roux, preventing it from burning, but it allows the trinity to saute, and pick up some flavor. Its a great way to prevent your roux from burning.

kd

Exactamundo.
I also add in some chopped jalapeno (not pickled) and garlic in with the trinity.

I found onions would spoil before I could use them all, so I started to saute' and freeze the seasonings I use most--onions, bellpepper, celery, garlic. Then when I use them for a gumbo (or anything else) it cuts time off the preparation-no chopping and faster cooking overall.
When making various dishes, like spaghetti or chili, additional seasonings can be added easily to make the dish as desired.

Do you defrost them before throwing them in the roux?
I just ask because I was wondering if the ice that would form on the outside of the vegetables would splatter like insane when dropped in the mega hot roux.

Excellent suggestion, and I'll have to try it next time I make it.

I went ahead and sauteed the vegtables separate, but I'm cooking the roux in bacon grease.

Heh. Cajun Napalm.:worthy:

Just make sure you throw some lard in the pan before cooking down the bacon to get the bacon grease.

I just use canola oil for roux.
It's easier and has a higher smoke point.

What's an easier way of getting okra into it?
I've always used frozen cut okra and put it in a pan with a bit of oil... then cooked it for at least an hour to get rid of the slime.
Is that pretty much the way to go?

I HATE okra, the taste, the smell, the slime. (Did I mention I hate okra?) But when Bum puts it in a gumbo, he cooks it down so it almost desintegrates. That's the only way I'll eat it. (And it actually gives a good flavor.) I think he cooks it in the roux, but I don't know for sure because I can't be anywhere nearby when it's cooking.

I just use canola oil for roux.
It's easier and has a higher smoke point.

I've always used frozen cut okra and put it in a pan with a bit of oil... then cooked it for at least an hour to get rid of the slime.
Is that pretty much the way to go?

I boil mine for an hour or so then run cold water through it several times after straining it with a collander. Add a little bit of vinager while boiling it and it helps reduce the slime--it always works for me.

I think when the cajun trinity hits the roux it's one of finest aromas in the world. That is why I will always do it that way.

Add on cup of okra to your trinity and use it to cool down your roux as stated above. It will cook in to the gumbo, you want have whole orka, but it won't be slimy either. Becarefull not to use too much okra with this method. You might want to start with only a half a cup of orkra begin with to see how you like it.

Hey, try this. Take some frozen okra and puree it in the blender. Then add it to you gumbo. Its like a powder that thickens up the gumbo immediately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom