Dad Appreciation (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Respect to the posters who are busting their arses trying to be the best father they can be. I hope to be in that position soon and that I can be half the father my own is

When I was young, my dad worked on the barges in New Orleans and my mom worked in the bakery of an A&P grocery. Neither had a college degree.
My dad taught himself tax law and has been running a successful small accounting business (him and two of his brothers) for about 35 years. He has actually acted as an attorney for clients in court against the IRS 3 times and won each time

While mothers day is already past, my mom worked her way up into managing the off campus book store for USL (sorry....I still have a tough time thinking of it as ULL) and later on the retail bookstore for SLU

I hope that I can be the kind of inspiration that they were/are someday

My dad was the best. I wish I could have married a man like him. But I know, if I had, he wouldn't have been the right match for me as MY partner as he was for my mom (mom and I were very different women).

But bottom line, to be the "best" father, doesn't mean being perfect. It's just kids feeling they have your love and protection and a soft place to land.

alright so i'll jump on this
as some of you remember we had to move dad (and thus mom) into memory care, so more than likely the decline will just continue
so lately i've been made to wonder about his life's journey

he was put up for adoption and adopted at 6 months my my grandmother and her first husband - he died in WW2
i never got the full story, but seemingly my grandmother was a NO party girl whose family lost a bundle in The Crash - she did not want to be a mother and seemingly wasn't all that subtle about it
she did not remarry until dad was around 10 or so - luckily there was extended family around so it wasn't just him and mommy not interested
and the guy she married - my granddad - was awesome, but he never got much in the way of guy mentorship - no car repair or home repair

in spite of all of that, he and my mom made a great parenting team
i think he realized he didn't have a lot of emotional parenting tools so 'not exploding in anger' became his guiding principle
it was probably a smart strategy at the time it did make him a bit inaccessible and i think it lead to years of drinking & smoking - -which he eventually kicked on his own
his life isn't what he imagined but he did great with the hand he was dealt
i love him and respect him
and i'll bring his grandkids to him tomorrow - -he likes that

happy Fathers day

I really miss my dad more now than when he first died. I've been told by several people that I never truly grieved. I thought I didn't need to. I was "ready" for it. It was his time and he had no quality of life and he wasn't the dad he was so I was relieved to not have to sit around and wait anymore. I wish we could have talked about "life and death" but he was very uncomfortable about it; and when it came time to make his arrangements, we had to guess at some things because he never wrote his wishes down or talked about it.

But I was the baby and, I think, his favorite and never felt I could show him the gratitude I felt for my childhood by the time I realized how good I had it. Hope he knows it now, though.

Every day, I wear a vial of my mom's ashes around my neck and I put Dad's class ring on the same chain as the most personal thing of his I could manage since he wasn't cremated and kiss it before I leave the house. And I pray talk to my Dad to keep watch over me as my angel.

I really miss my dad more now than when he first died. I've been told by several people that I never truly grieved. I thought I didn't need to. I was "ready" for it. It was his time and he had no quality of life and he wasn't the dad he was so I was relieved to not have to sit around and wait anymore.

My dad had heart problems and died at 55. I had a few big cries over him because we had issues for years(my fault) and were just getting close again.

I can relate to your father but with my mother.

She had no quality of life at the end.

I didn't cry at the funeral. I was happy she had peace.

But I miss her. She did so much for me.

I was a mama's boy.

My dad had heart problems and died at 55. I had a few big cries over him because we had issues for years(my fault) and were just getting close again.
Even if you don't get a chance to have that "Dad, I was an idiot" talk, I think they can see it in your heart (there's that faith again). My mom and I didn't really need to have a talk, but I really wish I could talk to her now and tell her I can more appreciate how we were different and that that's okay. My dad really wore his emotions on his sleeve. I wish so many dads weren't conditioned to hide that part of themselves esp. when they're younger.

Even if you don't get a chance to have that "Dad, I was an idiot" talk, I think they can see it in your heart (there's that faith again).

We didn't have "that talk" but I think he saw through our conversations that I cared and realized I was wrong.

For my dad.

I've mentioned he wasn't a music lover, but he would put up with me playing music in his truck.

His favorite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom