Dads: Good ways to entertain kids while Mom is on vacation?? (1 Viewer)

SinnerSaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So I've got my 13yo boy and 4yo daughter all to myself this week, as Mom's on a vacation cruise with her sister and Mom.

During the weeknights, instead of watching TV, or opting for earlier beddtimes for them due to lack of creativity, what are some good ideas to do with them to have fun at the house on weeknights after dinner? I'd like to maximize the "value" of their alone time with Dad while mom's gone.

Any opinions? I'd like to stay at the house, and not really spend any money or take them anywhere. Just spend fun time with them.

Their age difference presents a bit of a challenge, do you have any board games laying around? How's the weather, got a frisbee? Dog? Bicycle(s)?

Bowling is fun. Get 2 lanes so you can bumper up for the girl, and switch back and forth playing both. Not at the house, but you could be done early.

since it's Mardi Gras time, get two shoeboxes and let them make floats

Their age difference presents a bit of a challenge, do you have any board games laying around? How's the weather, got a frisbee? Dog? Bicycle(s)?

Yeah, their vast age difference was my main reason for starting this thread. :hihi: Definitely a challenge, especially when they're different genders on top of it.

We have a couple of board games lying around....I think I saw "Trouble" in the garage recently, so the 4yo will probably really like the 'popping bubble' action.

The weather in So Cal where I'm at has been off and on rainy all week, and the weathermen are almost always wrong with the forecasts, so outside might be a lost cause due to rain un-predictability.

We've got two small dogs, but we've also got no backyard(usually always a staple of anyone owning property anywhere NEAR the coast in So Cal). We've got a small back pation that probably measures out at 20'X15' in space. Our dogs get more exercise actually running around inside the house than they do outside on that little "porch" we call a backyard. :covri:

Make stuff. Son may like building models or something like that. Daughter could do arts & crafts. Or a drawing pad and a pack of colored pencils.

Good ideas, Ct, but the son doesn't really like to make stuff. My daughter likes to color and play with dolls and that kind of stuff.

Of course, they BOTH like to sit on the couch and watch movies until it's time for bed, but I'm really trying hard NOT to give into the "easy way out" and set them in front of the TV, press play, and they stare into boobtoob space for a few hours.

since it's Mardi Gras time, get two shoeboxes and let them make floats

That'd be a GREAT idea, Scott, except neither one has a clue about Mardi Gras, what it is, what it's about, or how it should mean anything to them.

I'm born and raised in Florida, and became a Saints fan in the Dome Patrol era, so even I, unfortunately, and not experienced with the true festive value of the Gras.

Cow-tipping.

Seriously, do a game/movie night. We do it just about every weekend at our house, but my daughter loves it. Play a few games of a board game and then pop some popcorn and throw in a DVD. You get a lot of interaction with the board game.

Bowling is fun. Get 2 lanes so you can bumper up for the girl, and switch back and forth playing both. Not at the house, but you could be done early.

I just might do that one night.....it'd probably cost $15 or so for about an hour for all 3 of us. I just might check into that to see how much shoes and all the other rental fees are.

I don't know if your 14 yo would like this, but maybe putt-putt golf one night. Followed by a trip to the ice cream shop.

On the last night, the activity should be to clean up before Mom gets home. :hihi:

I don't know if your 14 yo would like this, but maybe putt-putt golf one night. Followed by a trip to the ice cream shop.

On the last night, the activity should be to clean up before Mom gets home. :hihi:

LOL Yeah, the 14yo would like puttputt, but he'd also be asking me every 10 SECONDS when/if he could go ride the Go Karts and/or play video games. :hihi:

My 4yo would have fun with puttputt, but she LOVES climbing on anything she can get her little paws on tight enough to pull herself up on.

I can just imagine us playing, and everytime we go to a different hole on the course, she immediately runs off the putting lane and jumps onto whatever prop is at that particular hole. :covri: She'd be like a monkey that had just broke loose from it's Zoo cage.

Fishing for a couple hours till dark. Maybe some dinner brought to wherever you are fishing? Got someone you know who owns a pond? Bring some dip nets too. Throw in some fish food.

Find an ice rink, or roller rink. You could attend to your daughter, helping her learn, while your son is busy getting exercise, or chatting up the local talent...

If you don't skate, it could be entertaining for everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom