Dak turns down offer from Cowboys, (reportedly) wants 40m a year (1 Viewer)

I'm all about understanding inflation in contracts and the cap going up. It's why I argued Thomas deserved $20M a year.

But Dak is not even a top 10 QB. The whole "let's just pay everyone with the label QB next to their roster spot" the most money in the league anytime their contract comes up thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

If we get into a situation years from now where we've got a fairly average QB wanting top dollar, I hope we just go draft someone. That's going to be more and more how teams win championships.

There multiple reports that they have offered him $30M - so that’s what makes me think they’re willing to offer it. I think people think $30M is some pie-in-the-sky number, but there are now six QBs making $30M and the cap keeps growing because league revenue growth is strong and seemingly getting stronger. If you believe in your franchise QB these days, $30M is the new threshold.

Carson Wentz signed for $32M per and his numbers really aren't that different than Dak's.

The editor of Sportrac - the site that compiles all of the player contract information - thinks Dak is going to sign for something that averages out to about $32M (and above his actual worth). We can all be arm-chair GMs and say that's crazy, but again, it's about the market, not necessarily the individual's objective worth. The owner wants to win now - not let this successful QB go and head back to the draft (where results are substantially mixed). The player has a substantial amount of leverage and $30M is no longer at the top of the market. I think it's going to be that or very close to it, if not more.

This is exactly it, the excuse using is that Dak is a winner. They will also make Dak feel like he is a team player cuz he not getting what he want. But in reality he really not that good.

What QB tier would Dak be on? To me he's a tier 3, maybe even tier 4 QB.

Tier 1 - Brady, Brees, Luck, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes

Tier 2 - Watson, Rivers, Big Ben, Baker, Wentz, Goff

Tier 3 - Jimmy G, Stafford, Ryan, Cousins, Dak?

Tier 4 - Carr, Cam, Darnold, Trubisky, Winston, Mariota
What QB tier would Dak be on? To me he's a tier 3, maybe even tier 4 QB.

Tier 1 - Brady, Brees, Luck, Wilson, Rodgers, Mahomes

Tier 2 - Watson, Rivers, Big Ben, Baker, Wentz, Goff

Tier 3 - Jimmy G, Stafford, Ryan, Cousins, Dak?

Tier 4 - Carr, Cam, Darnold, Trubisky, Winston, Mariota
Last year:
Baker - 27 TD’s / 14 INT’s (93 QB Rating)

Ryan 35 TD’s / 7 INTS (108 QB rating)

But Baker is a tier above Ryan? Jimmy G with 17 TD’s / 8 INTS in his career on the same level.....

I’d put Dak tier 3/4 and worth no where close to 30 million.

Last year:
Baker - 27 TD’s / 14 INT’s (93 QB Rating)

Ryan 35 TD’s / 7 INTS (108 QB rating)

But Baker is a tier above Ryan? Jimmy G with 17 TD’s / 8 INTS in his career on the same level.....

I’d put Dak tier 3/4 and worth no where close to 30 million.

That was just off the top of my head but yeah Matt Ryan should be in tier 2. He's put up some good numbers.

My point is that Dak is closer to Derek Carr or Andy Dalton than he is Drew Brees or Patrick Mahomes. Dak is a decent QB who can help you win games if he has enough talent around him.

Some QBs elevate the surrounding talent. Some QBs need the surrounding talent to elevate them. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of QBs fall into that category. But is that worth 30-40 mill per? We'll see.

Last edited:
He's not a $40 million a year QB.

Dak didn't even perform until they got Cooper added to the fold and the Dallas offense struggled mightily until Coopers arrival...Dak would have to put together a deep playoff season for the Cowboys to be comfortable enough to pay that.

I don't think hes a 20mil a year qb. Brees and Brady are both playing for 25. Their age, desire to win and total career earnings obviously play a role in this. But Dak isn't half the QB Brady is. I can't see how they can be competitive paying that man 30 mil a year.

I don't think hes a 20mil a year qb. Brees and Brady are both playing for 25. Their age, desire to win and total career earnings obviously play a role in this. But Dak isn't half the QB Brady is. I can't see how they can be competitive paying that man 30 mil a year.

I don't think they can remain competitive giving him that kind of mega deal. They have a great young defense but it will be difficult to keep that defense together if they tie up that much money in Dak. Not to mention the huge deals Zeke and Cooper will get.

Even die hard Cowboys fans have to be nervous right now. There's just no upside to this deal.

Dak's a 3rd tier QB, probably worth 25M. QB's keep improving up in their 30's, so he could some day become a tier 1 or 2 QB, but not now.

Last edited:
Let him have it! With no problem. Haven't seen his spot in 20 years. Now I gotta go to youtube and find the old Rosenberg commercials. "1825 Tuuuulane".

Wow! I have not lived in New Orleans for over 50 years and I STILL remember that advertisement!!!

Funny you chose the “less than 75 yards stat.” Zeke had exactly 75 when they beat us last year.

SEE?! The proof is in the pudding! If only we could’ve held him to one less yard! We were so close to victory!

:hihi:

This is not the way to look at it
We ALSO want them to give zeke the moon and have them fight over it

That is true too!

So Dez Bryant said this yesterday,

Test that man for CTE.

I think the cowgirls should make him the highest paid player ever with 50 mil a year. maybe 60. even though it is false, that contract would screw up any team's salary cap, and besides atlanta, I would love the cowgirls cap to be blown up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom