Dallas executive says Rob Ryan was fired in Dallas because he used too many schemes, according to report (1 Viewer)

I think over saturating your playbook will leave some players heads spinning...Saints players are used to heavy schemes from the GW days so they can handle it, but I agree with the sentiment that Paying wants a type of defense and want certain players highlighted in it so I think Ryan can and will run his defense the way he sees fit but also with the notion of what Coach Payton envisioned.

:no:...... We aren't supposed to be talking about bounties any more.

Where do you draw the line? It's complex because the objective is to confuse the opposing quarterback. But, in turn, it can confuse the defense as well. Sounds more like Jerrah Jr. trying to rationalize a potentially bad move. Coming from that organization's front office is encouraging, IMHO.

Well Ryan's excuse for why the defense fell off after a hot start was injuries.

It sounds to be that Jerry Jones' retort was "well if your defense wasn't so complicated the new players brought into the lineup would have did better". He even specifically mentioned "injuries", just as Ryan did in explaining his firing.

not surprising, the average IQ of a cowboys player is pretty low

So if Anthony Spencer joins the Saints, what will be your opinion of him? Automatic upgrade to genius just because he joined the Saints. :)

So if Anthony Spencer joins the Saints, what will be your opinion of him? Automatic upgrade to genius just because he joined the Saints. :)

No, he would just be demonstrating his clear above-cowboy intelligence by leaving them for us.

Well Ryan's excuse for why the defense fell off after a hot start was injuries.

It sounds to be that Jerry Jones' retort was "well if your defense wasn't so complicated the new players brought into the lineup would have did better". He even specifically mentioned "injuries", just as Ryan did in explaining his firing.

Good point. I'm also of the opinion that a bold move of some sort had to be made to appease the fan base. RR being the victim.

From the original article:

"Ryan was known for implementing a system that mixed and matched concepts. He also also gained recognition for arranging personnel in unique ways. According to ProFootballFocus.com, the Cowboys used 29 defensive formations in 2011 – Ryan’s first season with the Cowboys. That year, communication breakdowns occurred repeatedly season and there was confusion not only on the field but also the sidelines, where substitutions would be botched occasionally".

Source:

Stephen Jones:

There is a time, place and speed installing a complicated scheme. I am not against it but we have to be certain that we will not be having the same kind of confussion we saw every game with Spags, specially in our secondary.

Sometimes it is better to start simple, and get more complicated in the rythm that our defense will be able to digest it.

I think that will be priority 1 in conversations between Payton and Ryan: to be sound first, and to understand that creating confusion is a priority towards our rivals, not our players.

Just like i been saying all along. RR schemes is to complex. A defense can not pick up what he is trying to do in one year. He had to much going on. I hope im wrong but i really think RR was a bad hire and we right bk in the boat where we started with Spags.

Good point. I'm also of the opinion that a bold move of some sort had to be made to appease the fan base. RR being the victim.

Yeah it was. Fans wanted Jason Garrett's head, Ryan was the closet thing Jones could do without actually firing Garrett.

Hiring Kiffin was telling. Kiffin is still a good coach, but given his age this isn't anything more then a stopgap move. Monte Kiffin is 72 and has spent the past few years in sunny SoCal on a college coaches schedule without recruiting or booster fluffing or the other normal time consuming elements that do exist on a college coaches schedule. Pretty much semi-retirement. Exactly how much energy is he going to be bringing to an NFL coaches schedule, and how long can he sustain even the bit of energy he does bring?

Seems to suggest Garrett is on a short, maybe even 1 year, time table.

From the original article:

"Ryan was known for implementing a system that mixed and matched concepts. He also also gained recognition for arranging personnel in unique ways. According to ProFootballFocus.com, the Cowboys used 29 defensive formations in 2011 – Ryan’s first season with the Cowboys. That year, communication breakdowns occurred repeatedly season and there was confusion not only on the field but also the sidelines, where substitutions would be botched occasionally".

Source:

Stephen Jones:

There is a time, place and speed installing a complicated scheme. I am not against it but we have to be certain that we will not be having the same kind of confussion we saw every game with Spags, specially in our secondary.

Sometimes it is better to start simple, and get more complicated in the rythm that our defense will be able to digest it.

I think that will be priority 1 in conversations between Payton and Ryan: to be sound first, and to understand that creating confusion is a priority towards our rivals, not our players.

Right but the sort of complexity Ryan is bringing to the table is exactly what Greg Williams was doing here. So I'm not sure it's really that big of an adjustment for our defense, especially if we retain veterans like Smith, Vilma, and Harper (which seems likely to some degree). I do feel as though the emphasis should be on starting with a limited package and adding pieces as you progress, that too is similar to what GW did in 2009 when he first got here. I imagine Payton will, correctly, have his input on that as well.

It's wrong for the head coach to dictate what a defensive coordinator puts in place, if you're going to do that, why hire that coordinator?, but overarching strategic decisions like that above are certainly the head coaches province,

Cool Story Mr. Dallas Executive, now tell us more about how you're no where near Superbowl bound and haven't been in almost 2 decades :bravo-applaudi-147:

"Stephen, boy, come in here."

"What is it, Dad?"

"Boss."

"Sorry Boss. What do you need?"

"Some of my golf buddies said I might wanna explain why I fired the "only sentient coach", as they put it, from our coaching staff. To be honest I don't quite remember why I did it, your mother was asking if she could expand her art museum downstairs... anyway. I want you to make up something, go out to the media, and play some damage control. They'll eat it up. You do that and I'll lend you my eyeglass cleaner for a few days."

"I don't wear glasses, Boss."

"Just do it, boy. Those punks in Houston are trying to get a bigger television than mine, and I've got to make some important phone calls to prevent that."

"Yes sir."
^^This. I still don't buy Ryan being fired, when its the qb/head coach that have most weaknesses. The offense chokes when it counts.

Where do you draw the line? It's complex because the objective is to confuse the opposing quarterback. But, in turn, it can confuse the defense as well. Sounds more like Jerrah Jr. trying to rationalize a potentially bad move. Coming from that organization's front office is encouraging, IMHO.

Man I hope you're right. It's not been shown that ALL of our players on defense are great learners. Hopefully he can find the balance because I don't know which one makes a defense less effective: being too simple and predictable or being so complex that the players can't master the nuances well enough to execute it well enough to win games.

The other day I was wondering: one year after the offense broke records for the number of records set or broken in a season, how many opposing teams and players broke or set club and league records versus our defense? That last game of the season was a great example. I think Carolina set or broke 6 or 7 team/player records against us.

In the best news of this entire article was no mention of Ryan being fired for having some sort of pay for injury program:ezbill:

I'm still sifting through this looking for the "bad", where we are concerned. The article actually made me smile, thinking how lucky we are to have gotten a defensive mind like that. We are not letting Vilma go anywhere, and he has GW defense down to a science. Granted, Rob employs more schemes and coverages/looks, as Rex admitted himself once, but you going to tell me that Vilma won't eat that up like candy? To me, this is the reason Sean is keeping Vilma, as another coach on the field.

This isn't quantum physics, its still football. I can also attest that he had guys like.Claiborne, my homeboy right there from Shreveport, who went to probably one of the most underachieving schools in the state. So, he wasn't working with the Marcellus Wileys of the game either.

Again, wake me when the bad from this hire arrives.

In other news, Stephen Jones complained about some bad tasting grapes in his lunch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom