Dallas executive says Rob Ryan was fired in Dallas because he used too many schemes, according to report (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
Sounds like the D will have to hit the books hard:

One of New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's problems in Dallas apparently was his complex and voluminous defensive schemes, according to Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones.

In a story on the Dallas Morning News website, Jones said "too many schemes" caused the Cowboys to remove Ryan and replace him with Monte Kiffin.

"I think Rob is a very smart guy," Jones said told the DMN. "His schemes are very sound. There are a lot of schemes. That becomes a question. We made a tough decision. We felt like too many schemes can cause problems regardless of how good they are and how sound they are. If there is more than the players can digest in this day and time - as you don't keep players for long, they move on and you have injuries - you just had to make a decision. And we made a tough one."

Dallas executive says Rob Ryan was fired in Dallas because he used too many schemes, according to report | NOLA.com

Interesting. The good news for us is that our core group of defensive guys know the basic system from working under Gregg Williams for a few years.

Somehow I think Sean Payton and Rob Ryan will get on the same page and that is going to be what Sean wants and for Ryan to execute the plan that Sean wants. If something isn't working I have a feeling Sean will get with Rob and figure something out that either ends with tweaking the scheme or probably not using it anymore. Got to get something that works well enough before you can start making it more complicated. After his time with Gregg Williams, I think Sean will want just a little bit more say in what goes on with the defense.

Probably why D Ware and Sean Lee did well in the system. Intelligent football players that understand the game is more than just running fast and being strong.

I've heard his schemes were very complicated and Dallas and had a lot of blown coverages, but that has little bearing on how he develops here.

Our offense has a complicated scheme too.

Didn't those Jones boys fire Jimmy Johnson who ran a similar defense, and replace him with that simpleton Switzer.

Somehow I think Sean Payton and Rob Ryan will get on the same page and that is going to be what Sean wants and for Ryan to execute the plan that Sean wants. If something isn't working I have a feeling Sean will get with Rob and figure something out that either ends with tweaking the scheme or probably not using it anymore. Got to get something that works well enough before you can start making it more complicated. After his time with Gregg Williams, I think Sean will want just a little bit more say in what goes on with the defense.

I think over saturating your playbook will leave some players heads spinning...Saints players are used to heavy schemes from the GW days so they can handle it, but I agree with the sentiment that Paying wants a type of defense and want certain players highlighted in it so I think Ryan can and will run his defense the way he sees fit but also with the notion of what Coach Payton envisioned.

There is no doubt in my mind RR will "dumb" down the complexity at least just for this season. It is hard enough just learning a new defense from a new DC, much less transitioning to a completely different scheme.

I don't care what RR's schemes are, if he doesn't teach hustle and tackling (not shoulder hitting) it won't matter if our guys are in the right spot or not. If he can get these guys to hustle to the ball carrier, all 11 defensive players, then we should be much improved. Last year all we saw was a missed arm tackle, followed by a DB with a glancing shoulder blow, and the ball carrier keep going.

Yeah. Probably #3 on the complexity/difficulty scale is Greg Williams. So this isn't really anything new.

Blitzing requires disguise, which requires multiple formations/lineups. Simplified defense, by nature, means a zone heavy, no blitzing style. These are functions of the modern NFL.

Where do you draw the line? It's complex because the objective is to confuse the opposing quarterback. But, in turn, it can confuse the defense as well. Sounds more like Jerrah Jr. trying to rationalize a potentially bad move. Coming from that organization's front office is encouraging, IMHO.

"Stephen, boy, come in here."

"What is it, Dad?"

"Boss."

"Sorry Boss. What do you need?"

"Some of my golf buddies said I might wanna explain why I fired the "only sentient coach", as they put it, from our coaching staff. To be honest I don't quite remember why I did it, your mother was asking if she could expand her art museum downstairs... anyway. I want you to make up something, go out to the media, and play some damage control. They'll eat it up. You do that and I'll lend you my eyeglass cleaner for a few days."

"I don't wear glasses, Boss."

"Just do it, boy. Those punks in Houston are trying to get a bigger television than mine, and I've got to make some important phone calls to prevent that."

"Yes sir."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom