Dalton or Winston (1 Viewer)

If all you want is a solid backup or one year bridge QB, go Dalton. In our situation I’ll go for the upside of Winston. If he can clean up the INTs and he stays, he could be our next franchise QB. If he walks he could get us a 3rd round comp pick. Dalton won’t.

Dalton is better than he gets credit for. He's had some really good seasons and he's gone to three Pro Bowls. He led the Bengals to 10+ wins in four straight seasons from '12-'15. Reaching double digit wins is a monumental feat for the Bengals. They reached the playoffs his five first seasons with the team. He wasn't a transcendent talent but he was good QB.

I'd go with Winston though because he's younger and I think he has his best football ahead of him.

Dalton would have been a great pickup. But he is a legit starting QB.
Plus I think Jamies has more trade bait.

I think Dalton would be a good Heir apparent, 6 years out of him. Plus he doesnt have all of the "maturity" or "rap" sheet Jamies has.

Dalton is solid, a good leader, high football IQ and decent arm. He's been in a cesspool for QB excellence throughout his entire career. Winston was the #1 pick of the entire draft for a reason. Winston has elite physical skills for an NFL QB with one of the elite arms in the league. Dalton would be low risk for us, probably similar to Teddy. Winston, if he can learn the cerebral and maturity part of being an NFL QB has the ability to be a HOF QB and lead a team to multiple SBs. Winston is higher risk and also higher reward. I have a gut feeling that SP wants to show how great he can be at developing a QB and Winston is his experiment of the year.

If we had Dalton instead of Winston, then might as well hand the job to Taysom. Dalton can make some throws and manage the game if you have a great running game. But if he’s asked to be relied on, you would have to put Taysom in to avoid Dalton’s 3 and outs in crucial moments. Andy Dalton is who he is at this point.

Imo Dalton has an inferior QB presence than Taysom and Jameis. Dalton eases the transition to Taysom becoming the starting QB and allows Taysom to gain the lion share of QB snaps. Winston is legit QB competition and still has elite potential

I like Dalton. I think he's a better QB than he has been given a chance to be. I also think that NE will probably sign him. Overall I also think he's a pretty good guy.

Winston is only the 8th QB in history to throw for more than 5000 yards. The guy is a great QB, he just isn't historically a good guy. But everyone deserves the chance to do better and I'm glad we are giving him that chance. He's a damn good QB and could win a lot of games for us. Since we didn't draft a top QB, I'm glad we signed Winston.

Dalton is 32, spent almost his entire career playing for one coach. His career passer rating is 87.5. He did go to the playoffs four times (the last time was six years ago), but his team lost all four games, and Dalton had a grand total of one TD and 6 picks in those games for a passer rating of 57.2. In the four games they got outscored a total of 103-43 and scored a total of three offensive TD's. (Bobby Hebert's was 57.1, and in a less QB friendly era. So that's what you got here -- a choker.)

Winston is 26, he's played for three coaches in his first five seasons. His career passer rating is 86.9. He's never made the playoffs.

The four years Dalton made the playoffs, the Cincy defenses were 11th, 2nd, 2nd, and 17th in the NFL. Over Dalton's nine-year career, they've averaged the 13th best defense. [EDIT -- they also made the playoffs in 2015, but Dalton got hurt late in the year and Andy McCarron took over in game 14. In their two-point wild-card loss to Pittsburgh, McCarron led the team to three scores in a furious fourth quarter comeback and they got beat on a last second FG. McCarron's passer rating that game was 62.1]

Over the five years they have in common (2015-2019), Cincy's defenses ranked on average 17th, and the Bucs' 19th.

So if you want to talk about a hot mess of a franchise to play for....

I don't think this question is even close, no matter how long the contract, or for what price. Ignore the narratives, look at the numbers. Give me Winston all day.

Last edited:
Dalton is better than he gets credit for. He's had some really good seasons and he's gone to three Pro Bowls. He led the Bengals to 10+ wins in four straight seasons from '12-'15. Reaching double digit wins is a monumental feat for the Bengals. They reached the playoffs his five first seasons with the team. He wasn't a transcendent talent but he was good QB.

They had one of the best defenses in the league those years, and he repaid them with his "leadership" with a 57.2 passer rating in the playoffs.

What we have here, folks, is a choker.

If it was up to me I'd waited for Andy, but I know we probably wouldn't have accepted an cheap contract like Winston. I think Andy would have been a good replacement when Drew retired.
If it was up to me I'd waited for Andy, but I know we probably wouldn't have accepted an cheap contract like Winston. I think Andy would have been a good replacement when Drew retired.
26vs 32yr old then 34 when DREW goesVS 28

What?

I don't know if you hate the Jameis signing or like/love the signing but I can make an educated guess as to which side you're on. Andy Dalton? A good replacement for Drew after he retires? How? I mean, besides the fact that he isn't Winston. How would Andy be a good replacement? And I got nothing against Andy. He's an OK player. But he's also 32 years old, turning 33 later this year. Got benched last season after starting the season 0-8. And is clearly on the downside of his career yet you feel he's a better replacement for us after Drew retires than Jameis or Taysom?? I don't know what else to say but, and I mean this with no disrespect to you sir, but I, for one, am glad you don't make the decisions for our team if you truly believe your post.
stir the pot (2).jpg

Anyone who says Andy Dalton is just a Jameis hater cause this shouldn’t even be up to debate. Andy Dalton couldn’t get his team a better record than sorry Miami or Washington last year. I rather Miami’s QB from last year in 37 year old Ryan Fitzmagic cause I know he can win me 2-3 games. Hell I might even rather Case Keenum too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom