Dalton - we are a better team (7 Viewers)

Just because we ran the ball in twice doesn’t take credit from Dalton getting us close to the goal line. He could’ve thrown 3 TDs if they had allowed it. He also made a good play on the 2 pointer.

I think Dalton deserves the job. Winston has been pitiful this year, even before he got injured. Winston is below average in this scheme, while even at his age, Dalton seems above average, and he runs the offense better. He’s not Drew, but he’s good enough to win games. Jameis is not.
We ran most of the way lol

This scheme is more limited than the one Winston was running last year with worse weapons. Doesn't help that he's been walking wounded since the third quarter of the Falcons game. Dalton wouldn't be able to make the throws Jameis did in the fourth of that game.
And if anyone is being honest, that 4th QB was the best football we have seen all season.

Everyone is saying that he looked better but the fact remains that we only had ONE sustained drive in the first half and he began to cook halfway through the 3rd. Our other QB gets obliterated for the same thing. I'm just all about people keeping that same energy.

JW threw for 4k+ yds and won 9 games, but missed the playoffs under Koetter in 2016. That was his second year. His next full starting season was the 5k season with 30/30 td/ints. He turned it over too much but was playing injured down the stretch that year and still carried the Tampa O (for better and worse).

Point being a more play action based Air Coryell type system is the offense for him. He is not a fit for Pete Cy’s retrofit of the 5 yd passing offense the Saints started running when Drew could no longer threaten to stretch the field on every play.

Andy should play until JW is healthy and probably after if this is what the O is going to be. Another loss today means it might not matter by the time JW gets healthy. Andy mostly solid today, but not good enough to overcome the major flaws with the O.
And the coaches at Tampa were blamed for Winston’s poor play.

How poor was his play?

QB1: 19737 yards on 61.3% (274 YPG)/121 TDS (4.7TD%)/88 INTS (3.5 INT%)/86.9 QB Raiting
QB2: 20618 yards on 62% (257 YPG)/138 TDs (4.9TD%)/100 INTS (3.5 INT%)/85.9 QB Rating

And if anything, their defense lost them more games than the offense..

Things changed since Thursday's game stats are recorded but in 3 weeks, he threw the 2nd most intermediate passes in the league and completed the most with one of the best completion percentages(at this point, that still remains). He has gone 21/28 in intermediate passes. The thing that is killing him are the deep passes, specifically last weeks, as the receiver is usually there but his body is like "nah." That's why I don't get too much into the decision making because Olave was open plenty last week but those passes were off. Too much going on with his body. During the Bucs game when I saw him get strip sacked from behind instead of running for the first, I knew he was hurt and felt that he needed to sit.
Thanks for the data. My non-researched feeling then is that he is not taking or not completing the stuff 10 yards and in, which I guess, are short, not intermediate throws. So, I won't accuse him anymore of not finding the intermediate routes.

Thanks for the data. My non-researched feeling then is that he is not taking or not completing the stuff 10 yards and in, which I guess, are short, not intermediate throws. So, I won't accuse him anymore of not finding the intermediate routes.
My issue is that he is taking a lot of the deep throws when he has someone underneath. Don't get me wrong; a lot of times, he has someone but playing injured, you would want to take the easy piece. Been times he has thrown into coverage when someone was open

Winston’s play wasn’t poor in 2015 or 2016. He wasn’t bad in the other years, but made a lot of mistakes while contending with a mostly poor roster behind him, historically bad defenses, a revolving door of coaches, too much hero ball, and other self-inflicted off the field issues.

It wasn’t unreasonable to think that in NO, he could reset and reach his potential with a relatively talented, veteran roster, and an experienced and stable coaching staff and front office.

But the current Saints offense, which wasn’t adjusted to play to the strengths JW showed in TB and last year, is not a fit for Jameis. It’s not a good offense as currently schemed and called without the retired HOF QB it was specifically made for.

My issue is that he is taking a lot of the deep throws when he has someone underneath. Don't get me wrong; a lot of times, he has someone but playing injured, you would want to take the easy piece. Been times he has thrown into coverage when someone was open
Like you said, he's often making a good decision on those deep throws, but they aren't accurate. So many of his deep throws this year have not even allowed the WR to make a play on the ball. If he has Olave with a step in 1 on 1 coverage, it's probably a good decision. But when it's out of bounds or overthrown, you can't get a catch and you can't draw a PI.

I thought the 1st drive against TB was really great for him because he took at least 2 underneath throws on that drive without holding the ball forever. But he never really came back to it after that.

Winston is under contract for next season. With our cap challenges and no 1st round pick its ride or die I'm afraid. Unless we score a 1st round pick for Payton next draft you would still need Winston for a bridge season which would be next season anyway. Plus, do we really want DA picking and grooming our next Rookie QB?
I've seen threads calling for Gardner Meshew or some other nonsense. Making that move is just throwing good money after bad IMO. Most of the QB's that would be available are 2 or 3rd tier level and really not the kind of QB you try and build a winner around and I wouldn't want to trade draft capital for some fraud.
Man, if really feels like we are in the Haslet/Brooks era all over again with Allen/Winston.
IDK but maybe its darkest before the dawn and by the end of the season we will be laughing at how much we underestimated this team.

This may be off topic, but if Dalton was named the permanent starter, how many seasons can he go for? He’s 34 right now.
We’d have to keep him for 2 seasons until we eventually get a 1st pick for a rookie QB. That 2023 1st round pick giveaway is going to kill us.

We’d have to keep him for 2 seasons until we eventually get a 1st pick for a rookie QB. That 2023 1st round pick giveaway is going to kill us.
But we got a WR that we wouldn't have gotten that is probably our bright spot.

A lot of you are Bengal fans too...imagine if Burrow got to Cincy and there was no Jamarr Chase? Well we got our Jamarr, now we might need a QB. A player like Olave was needed, if you've been paying attention to our offense over teh past few years. Those big bodied, well blocking WRs weren't much a help to an offense that needed to be opened back up after playing small ball since 2017

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom