Dan Morgan and a false sense of security... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
In my opinion, it's crazy to think that Dan Morgan can be relied upon to fill one of our starting LB spots this coming season. This can has never played a full season in his entire pro career. Even in his 1 Pro-Bowl season he missed time due to injury.

Now he comes to us with a history of chronic concussions, and coming off of a season-ending achilles injury, and many are thinking that he's going to step in and take over at WLB.

When he is healthy, Morgan can play... I'm not disputing that... but it's not even a matter of "if" he gets hurt, it's "when".

LB remains a MAJOR need for this team heading into the draft, and I think we would be foolish to think that Morgan will be a big contributor to our D. Anything he can give us will be lagnappe... but we should proceed like we never even signed him.

I just wanted to throw that out there.

Well thrown, but Morgan is not the only player we have that can play the position. We have Shanle and Simoneau too. Simoneau on my view was a better linebacker when he was playing the WILL in Atlanta. It has been 4 or 5 years now, but he can be better then Shanle there.

I am not against bringing a linebacker, I am hoping we take one in the first 3 rounds, but I don't think it is a pressing need now.

Very true about his injury history, but why would we have inked him if the FO wants to "proceed like we never even signed him"....Right now he is a projected starter for this team, and I'm pretty pumped to see what he can do for us. I'm not expecting another pro bowl year, but I'm a lot more optimistic than most of you guys. Carolina did not let go of him because of injuries, they let go of him because he no longer fit in to their defense and they had found a young replacement for him.

I think this signing could be a huge steal even if he only pans out for one season. Vilma, Fujita, and Morgan...By far the best LB core we've had here since the dome patrol. All fast, fearless, smart players.

I can't wait to see them suprise the league.

Which is why Rivers, Connor, Adibi and even Henderson are all in the mix on day 1 of the draft.... and why Morgan was signed to a one-year deal.

one out of 53 is what I see with him. there's a lot of upside and if we can get a healthy Dan on half of the defensive plays we are better off.

we'll more than likely see a LB taken in this draft and thats good.

the guy I believe that will step up is Marvin and never forget Evans.

all in all we aren't desparate... I feel we are on solid ground no false sense for me

i've said this before, but every game the guy plays is gravy. If he is on the field, great; but I do not see how anyone can count on this guy starting in the regular season and when the Saints make the playoffs this year. He has NFL talent but has averaged less than 9 regular season games played a year his whole career. The times he does start though, the Saints will have a good LB.

I am not counting on Morgan at all. His injury history shows he will not make it through, and maybe not even to the regular season. I'm just excited this team finally has a starting caliber mlb for the first time in years. Even if it's Fujita, Vilma, and Shanle/Simminou, that's a vast improvement from years past.

When your linebackers are as bad as ours were last year you need to roll the dice on a guy like Morgan. He is high risk but it could pay off big time.

When your linebackers are as bad as ours were last year you need to roll the dice on a guy like Morgan. He is high risk but it could pay off big time.

High risk? How so? We gave him a one year deal, probably around an average pay for his position, so how is it a high risk? It's a low risk, high reward deal with Morgan. Nothing but good can come from this.

Even if he only plays 8 games he'll make more of an impact that Simoneau or Shanle will playing all 16

I'm just excited this team finally has a starting caliber mlb for the first time in years.

Don't get me started on Vilma... I'm excited to have the guy, and he's a total BEAST at MLB, but he's got ???? around him as well. That's for another thread though.

guillermo made a good point about Simoneau being solid at WLB during his days in Atl... but he also made a good point about that being 4-5 years ago... and from what I've seen over the past 2 seasons, Simoneau doesn't have the athleticism to be a solid starter at WLB... Neither does Shanle though, and he's been the starter there for 2 years now.

I'm sick of seeing TEs and RBs/FBs abuse our LBs in coverage (especially Shanle). The WLB is supposed to able to at least give you some semblence of coverage... and Shanle doesn't even come close to that.

I just want to see a guy on the weakside that has some speed, and won't allow the opponents' QB to have a sure-fire, open safety-valve on any given passing play.

Even if we were getting a 100% healthy Dan Morgan, without the lingering effects of an achilles injury and the chronic concussions, there would still be questions as to whether he could make a seamless transition to WLB... IIRC, he hasn't played there since his days at "the U", and that was 8+ years ago.

guillermo made a good point about Simoneau being solid at WLB during his days in Atl... but he also made a good point about that being 4-5 years ago... and from what I've seen over the past 2 seasons, Simoneau doesn't have the athleticism to be a solid starter at WLB... Neither does Shanle though, and he's been the starter there for 2 years now.

I'm sick of seeing TEs and RBs/FBs abuse our LBs in coverage (especially Shanle). The WLB is supposed to able to at least give you some semblence of coverage... and Shanle doesn't even come close to that.

I just want to see a guy on the weakside that has some speed, and won't allow the opponents' QB to have a sure-fire, open safety-valve on any given passing play.

i thought slb were more of the coverage type lb's and wlb were more of the running game lb's???

High risk? How so? We gave him a one year deal, probably around an average pay for his position, so how is it a high risk? It's a low risk, high reward deal with Morgan. Nothing but good can come from this.

It's high risk if the Saints don't draft another capapble LB in the draft... If they think Morgan is all of the sudden going to get through an entire season healthy, that's a huge risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom