Dan Morgan and a false sense of security... (1 Viewer)

I think we signed Morgan b/c we could get him relatively cheaply, so there's not a lot of risk to the aquisition. If he doesn't perform well in preseason due to lingering injuries--the achilles injury is a hard one to overcome, let alone the problem of recurring concussions--I expect Payton will cut him. On the other hand, he might turn out to be quite a bargain if he returns to health. Morgan or no Morgan, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we drafted Rivers with our first pick.

I thought it was just the opposite of that... but you could be right... The SLB does line-up over the TE.

The SLB is responsible for the TE
The MLB is responsible for the FB
The WLB is responsible for the RB

In other words the WLB should be fast and athletic to cover fast Running Backs

Hope that answers your question.

Signing dan morgan is a low risk high reward deal. He could stay healthy all year, just because he's had some injuries each season, except his rookie year, doesn't mean he will stay injury prone.

In my opinion, it's crazy to think that Dan Morgan can be relied upon to fill one of our starting LB spots this coming season. This can has never played a full season in his entire pro career. Even in his 1 Pro-Bowl season he missed time due to injury.

Now he comes to us with a history of chronic concussions, and coming off of a season-ending achilles injury, and many are thinking that he's going to step in and take over at WLB.

When he is healthy, Morgan can play... I'm not disputing that... but it's not even a matter of "if" he gets hurt, it's "when".

LB remains a MAJOR need for this team heading into the draft, and I think we would be foolish to think that Morgan will be a big contributor to our D. Anything he can give us will be lagnappe... but we should proceed like we never even signed him.

I just wanted to throw that out there.

Exactly why we need to pick Rivers. Dude can lay the wood with the best of em and i just saw that he ran a 4.51 40yd dash at his pro day. Plus i think he is one that can come in and contribute right away if need be. Just my opinion

Jeff faine was also labels as "injury prone" when he came here, and everyone got up in arms when he finally left.

There are rumors that we are lookinh into Spikes, plus we dont know who we draft in the first day yet,

We can still continue to address LB, so there is no "false sense of security" about Morgan, and there was almost no risk, morgan for 6 games is better than any other linebacker we could get for league min.

Morgan Fujita and Vilma is a VERY SOLID LB corps and (I know big if) Morgan stay healthy and they all play to thier potiental could become one of the best corps of LBers in the NFL.

However if we can improve (adding depth and/or rivers) I am sure the front office will...

If he's healthy, he will have Simmons role. Backup at MLB and ROLB. This staff is going to start Shanle.

Doesn't it blow you're mind to realize just how bad the linebackers were under Hazlett!! Makes no sense since he was a linebacker and considered decent. They were truly non existant. Then Sean moved them up to poor, now good looks pretty darn good.
Kris

After the success that Mark Fields saw in Carolina, I feel that karma will ensure that Morgan starts every game this year and starts in the Pro Bowl... :D

It's high risk if the Saints don't draft another capapble LB in the draft... If they think Morgan is all of the sudden going to get through an entire season healthy, that's a huge risk.

The Saints only gave him a one year contract for a reason, because they know he might not pan out. What you said was if, what I said is a fact. Wait until after the draft before you say he was a high risk/high reward signing. Unless the draft happens and we didn't draft one LB, then it is a high risk option, but only in the sense that we didn't get a future starter to back him up.

After the success that Mark Fields saw in Carolina, I feel that karma will ensure that Morgan starts every game this year and starts in the Pro Bowl... :D

Let's not forget that there is a bronze statue of one of our former LBs outide of BOA stadium in Carolina who had a good run there. RIP Sam Bam Field Mouse Mills.

If he's healthy, he will have Simmons role. Backup at MLB and ROLB. This staff is going to start Shanle.

I absolutely HATE to say it, but I think you're right...

I lost allrespect for Shanle after that OT from the Cards caught him from behind on that fumble return last season... Your starting WLB (or any LB for that matter) can't get caught from behind by a freakin OT!!!!

In my opinion, it's crazy to think that Dan Morgan can be relied upon to fill one of our starting LB spots this coming season. This can has never played a full season in his entire pro career. Even in his 1 Pro-Bowl season he missed time due to injury.

Now he comes to us with a history of chronic concussions, and coming off of a season-ending achilles injury, and many are thinking that he's going to step in and take over at WLB.

When he is healthy, Morgan can play... I'm not disputing that... but it's not even a matter of "if" he gets hurt, it's "when".

LB remains a MAJOR need for this team heading into the draft, and I think we would be foolish to think that Morgan will be a big contributor to our D. Anything he can give us will be lagnappe... but we should proceed like we never even signed him.

I just wanted to throw that out there.

Without reading any responses to this post...I TOTALLY agree. His name shouldn't even be mentioned as a possible solution to improving the LB corp because he most likely won't make it to opening day much less make the team.

In my opinion, it's crazy to think that Dan Morgan can be relied upon to fill one of our starting LB spots this coming season.

Nobody is relying on him. It is obvious with the 1 year deal that the team wants to see if he can contribute. Nothing to see here, move along.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom