Dane Brugler of The Athletic have the Saints taking Deebo Samuel at 62 (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
According to the scouting reports, he could be the slot guy that we are seeking. He's also a threat on kickoff returns and is not afraid to catch the ball in traffic which always a plus.

Would be a steal at 62 imo. I'm thinking he goes early in round 2, but got my fingers crossed. If Butler, Brown, or Samuel fall to 62, it's pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Dane's a great evaluator, and I'd be stoked to grab Samuels at 62. There are several players I'd be ok with though. Hakeem Butler, Deebo, Dawson Knox, Terry McLaurin, Mike Deiter, Riley Ridley, Jace Sternberger...

And those are just the offensive players lol

Dane's a great evaluator, and I'd be stoked to grab Samuels at 62. There are several players I'd be ok with though. Hakeem Butler, Deebo, Dawson Knox, Terry McLaurin, Mike Deiter, Riley Ridley, Jace Sternberger...

Same except Ridley; not a personal fan.

As for Samuel, the Niners are very high on him.

This is the first time in ages when I don't care whether they go offense or defense. It has been "We desperately need to shore up the defense" for so long that I am having trouble deciding which is better. To me, this screams, "Best player available."

Good list although I'm not as high on Ridley and Sternberger as the others.

Good list although I'm not as high on Ridley and Sternberger as the others.

Ridley/Stern are great fits for the Saints scheme and offense. Are they necessarily the best players at their position(s)? Probably not, but they would both be plug n play types for what the Saints are currently doing, and should be able to operate at a moderate to high level in that transition.

Ridley/Stern are great fits for the Saints scheme and offense. Are they necessarily the best players at their position(s)? Probably not, but they would both be plug n play types for what the Saints are currently doing, and should be able to operate at a moderate to high level in that transition.
I like them and can see the fit. Just think there will be better options at 62. I'm not going to doubt the front office though, if it turns out they are a lot higher on either of those two than I am. In Loomis/Ireland/Payton I trust.

I like them and can see the fit. Just think there will be better options at 62. I'm not going to doubt the front office though, if it turns out they are a lot higher on either of those two than I am. In Loomis/Ireland/Payton I trust.

Remember the years where it was a legitimate debate to be had on here when it came to the Scouting Departments ability (inabiltiy) to properly evaluate talent and the the front office to make good decisions based on those evaluations?

I remember doing a study few years ago where the Saints retention rate for draft picks was like 14% on defense. Ungodly low.

Remember the years where it was a legitimate debate to be had on here when it came to the Scouting Departments ability (inabiltiy) to properly evaluate talent and the the front office to make good decisions based on those evaluations?

I remember doing a study few years ago where the Saints retention rate for draft picks was like 14% on defense. Ungodly low.
Oh I remember. Seems like the addition of Jeff Ireland along with Payton and co. getting back to their roots of prioritizing character, toughness, and intelligence lead to a complete 180. I'd put the Saints scouting department up against anybody's.

Oh I remember. Seems like the addition of Jeff Ireland along with Payton and co. getting back to their roots of prioritizing character, toughness, and intelligence lead to a complete 180. I'd put the Saints scouting department up against anybody's.

There are multiple Scouting Academy alums in that building now as well. They've put forth a lot of effort in the turn around. From the bottom scouts all the way up to Ireland level.

Especially Jace Sternberger. I disagree with Dane as he had Jace still on the board when the Saints choose Samuel. I understand why he did that as he is looking at need, but I see Jace as a (slightly) better talent and a need position as well.

But what do I know and Bugler is a good evaluator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom