Dane Brugler Projects Saints Taking Matt Corral in Latest Mock (1 Viewer)

We need WR’s and this draft should be a great one to pick up a couple good ones. We still need someone to throw the ball to the WR’s I’ve seen some things saying MT might be on the trading block and if he is we may be able to pick up another first round pick at the least a high second. If Corral or Pickett is there you have to take that pick. Corral throws a great deep ball and has the ability to escape pressure. He is mainly a pocket passer who can run but he is a very accurate. Someone referred to him as Taysom 2.0 and that might be right but Corral can actually throw the football.
My take...Corral's ceiling for success is Mac Jones' rookie season. Maybe good enough to get you to the playoffs, but he won't do any damage once there. Only thing he'd have going for him here is that he wouldn't have to run the AFC QB shootout gauntlet in the playoffs, but I truly think he doesn't have the upside to get past any of them. IMO Jalen Hurts has a better passing pedigree and we all see how that's going in Phi.
Nah, this would be a bad pick.
Yeap...BAD PICK, I'd run a seaon with Book before going w/ Corral.

RIght...he's an "In case of emergency" type of pick up...only if Winston walks and Hill isn't anywhere near being ready for week one. We went 5-0 with him and he did put up a 300yd 4TD game running our system. He's accurate on the short stuff with just enough arm to go over the top.

The more I think about it, the more I like Teddy as the fallback option if we can't sign Winston. I'd still be looking at QBs that happen to fall to us in the draft as "the future", but singing Teddy to a reasonable contract and then drafting/signing skill position and OL help seems like a reasonable option while we look for young QBs in later rounds and future drafts. You sold me.

Hill is probably about the same level if he can continue to play like he was against Atlanta, and we have to pay him anyway, but with his injury I'm not sure we even get him back healthy this year.

The more I think about it, the more I like Teddy as the fallback option if we can't sign Winston. I'd still be looking at QBs that happen to fall to us in the draft as "the future", but singing Teddy to a reasonable contract and then drafting/signing skill position and OL help seems like a reasonable option while we look for young QBs in later rounds and future drafts. You sold me.

Hill is probably about the same level if he can continue to play like he was against Atlanta, and we have to pay him anyway, but with his injury I'm not sure we even get him back healthy this year.
Agree 100%. I'd be good with Teddy and look at other options in a year or two, and maybe see if Book can develop. After a year or two, we can make some decisions regarding qb. We can shore up the WR or OL positions and maybe pick up a few projects along the way.

Teddy again..... ah come on.

An emergency signing only please.
Yes, that's what's being said. Sign him if Winston or better option doesn't work out. Of course that depends on if Denver decides not to re-sign him before FA hits.

I feel the only type of 1st round QB our scouting department would like is someone with elite physical talent, because Payton logic is that if they have to tools and coachability. They have the confidence on helping them reach their ceiling.

So... I would look at players that fit 1st and then analyze stats and mental acuity.

It's why I was pretty confident Saint had little interest in Mac Jones no matter how many fabricated storys where they was clearly trading up for Surtain or Jaycee.
So, I don't have much confidence in any QB will be our pick. Kenny Pickett won't make it to 18th.

If Willis falls to the bottom of the 1st. I'd start calling some peeps. Let him sit comfortably behind Winston for a season or two. Be patient and develop him. Give him that QB Taysom role to ease him.

Yes, that's what's being said. Sign him if Winston or better option doesn't work out. Of course that depends on if Denver decides not to re-sign him before FA hits.
Gotcha.... I'm just not thrilled with the idea. On the draft side of things if a QB is considered, SP never decides on any player until interview a couple of times, so we won't know who to rumour until at least the end of Feb...lol

Gotcha.... I'm just not thrilled with the idea. On the draft side of things if a QB is considered, SP never decides on any player until interview a couple of times, so we won't know who to rumour until at least the end of Feb...lol
Yea, and of course we won't know the status of the free agents until the FA period opens up in March. So a lot can happen between now and the draft. We'll see.

Agree 100%. I'd be good with Teddy and look at other options in a year or two, and maybe see if Book can develop. After a year or two, we can make some decisions regarding qb. We can shore up the WR or OL positions and maybe pick up a few projects along the way.
I agree also. On one side I prefer Teddy B over Jameis in that we know what he can do in this offense because we've seen it while our offense was healthy. We still don't really know what we have in Jameis, which is not his fault. He never got a fair shot with all the injuries, lack of WR/TE talent, covid, etc. On the flip side, Jameis has more arm talent than Teddy, and we saw glimpses of what he could do before he went down. Glad I don't have to make the decision.

I agree also. On one side I prefer Teddy B over Jameis in that we know what he can do in this offense because we've seen it while our offense was healthy. We still don't really know what we have in Jameis, which is not his fault. He never got a fair shot with all the injuries, lack of WR/TE talent, covid, etc. On the flip side, Jameis has more arm talent than Teddy, and we saw glimpses of what he could do before he went down. Glad I don't have to make the decision.
Yeah, for all his issues in Tampa, he still threw for 4k+ yards 3 times, including one 5k+. Not many qbs in the league have done that. The question is can he keep the mistakes to a minimum with the handcuffs off? I definitely think he can. I was protecting the ball pretty well before he went down to injury.

All that said, I think a lot will depend on what Payton has seen from him over the last 2 years. If Payton feels Winston has mastered the offense well enough, I'm sure he'll give every benefit of the doubt.

I'll trust Payton, whether they go with Winston, Teddy or someone else.

Given the choice between JW and Teddy, I take JW...but if for some reason JW walks, Teddy is a good fallback that we've had success w/ in a pinch. And even w/ taking Teddy, I'm not looking for a replacement right away, I want to see if we can sustain long term success over a couple years before I look elsewhere.

So, who is your starting QB if we can't sign Winston and Hill's injury takes until December to heal?

If we whiff on Winston, I dont want to spend major draft capitol acquiring an expensive vet with so many holes already on the roster. That likely means any good QB on the block is out. If the Raiders do cut Carr (but why?) he would be an option, but if we fail to muster the pay to keep Winston we wont have enough for Carr.

Guys like Minshew, Foles, or Trubisky would be cheap to bring in to compete with Hill and Book. Teddy is out there too, though probably pricier and not much, if at all better than the first two.

Really if we miss on Winston whoever the QB is will probably be dubbed the "Tank Commander" by the end of the season anyway.

Really though not wasting a high pick on a substandard QB prospect in a substandard QB class is my main reason for saying nope. Nothing stands out as exceptional with him... and he is a single read QB way too often.

If the concern is next season, in year one at least I would bet on Semien being better(than Corral that is).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom