Dane Brugler Projects Saints Taking Matt Corral in Latest Mock (2 Viewers)

I really don't see us taking QBs in back-to-back drafts. You're basically pushing Book out the door.

I can see them doing it if they think there is a QB prospect in this draft that is better than Book and that player falls to them in the range of BPA. Or if they fall in love with a specific QB. Frankly, I think this team will be looking at QBs in the draft until they know that they have the guy that will be their starting QB for the next 10 years or so.

I'm calling it now but we re-sign Winston to a 2-3 year deal, sign OBJ (Payton has made it very clear he has a plan for him), trade Michael Thomas to the Jets for their 10th pick (Jets GM is on the super hot seat, a proven stud vet > a rookie WR, even Wilson) and draft Pickett there. Olave/Burks or a tackle at 18.

Dane Brugler projects the NFL draft. For the first pick **pay $3.99 to continue.**

I could see the Saints taking a quarterback high if they really liked him, but I also think the last thing Payton would want to do is start the season with a rookie at quarterback. Whether it's one of the guys from 2021 or someone they sign in the coming offseason, Payton will have a veteran on hand.

As far as Book goes, he won't have any impact on whether the Saints draft a quarterback or not. If Book develops, great, but he was just a fourth round pick, so it's not like they invested a lot in him, and the Saints have cut fourth round picks before they even played a down (Antonio Pittman, Al Woods).

I'm calling it now but we re-sign Winston to a 2-3 year deal, sign OBJ (Payton has made it very clear he has a plan for him), trade Michael Thomas to the Jets for their 10th pick (Jets GM is on the super hot seat, a proven stud vet > a rookie WR, even Wilson) and draft Pickett there. Olave/Burks or a tackle at 18.
I don't think you do both re-sign Winston and draft a QB...Winston is only 28, if you trade for a top 10 pick you better be using that pick to bolster the team (O line, WR) as if JW is the starter for the next 11 years....You only start looking QB if he doesn't pan out after the '22 season, or you lose out on him this offseason, and end up w/ an older retread...like Rivers or something.

I don't think you do both re-sign Winston and draft a QB...Winston is only 28, if you trade for a top 10 pick you better be using that pick to bolster the team (O line, WR) as if JW is the starter for the next 11 years....You only start looking QB if he doesn't pan out after the '22 season, or you lose out on him this offseason, and end up w/ an older retread...like Rivers or something.
I think that's probably right. If they resign Winston I think they'll look use their draft capital to bolster other positions.

As it currently stands, Pickett is worth a first round pick. Otherwise, focus on another position.

These talking heads are a trip...last year they were all like "Ian Book is the steal of the draft"....now they all have us taking another QB this year....so were they all full of feces last year or are they full of it this year?
both..good work if you can get it

Don't understand how these so called "experts" build these mock drafts. QB was not our issue, lack of WR depth/talent and OL was the main reasons why we struggled offensively. If we drafted a QB over WR, this whole board would explode.

I think that's probably right. If they resign Winston I think they'll look use their draft capital to bolster other positions.
SF got impatient and splurged on a 1st round QB, they might get away with it, but they'd be miles ahead of where they are now, if they drafted to build on the team as if Garappolo was the guy. As it stands right now, the Lance pick looks like a waste and created an unnecessary QB conundrum

We can avoid making this mistake by not drafting a QB right after you re-sign another guy...let him pan out or fail, then move accordingly

These talking heads are a trip...last year they were all like "Ian Book is the steal of the draft"....now they all have us taking another QB this year....so were they all full of feces last year or are they full of it this year?
Mel Kiper didn’t flip flop lol

I don't want a qb in the draft. Our first pick should be WR or OL depending on who's available. Doesn't matter if MT is back or not, the WR2 and beyond positions need to be addressed.

I won't be mad if we draft a qb, but I don't think we need to do that unless we decide not to roll with Winston, which hopefully is not the case. I'd love to keep Winston in the fold for 10 years if doesn't have any post-surgery issues.

Yep and that's why getting Winston on a 2 to 3 year deal would be ideal. It allows you to use draft picks to build the offensive talent. That way if he becomes the player I think he can be, you have a strong offense around a very good QB. But, if he doesn't pan out and you move onto a rookie QB in a year or two, you have the offensive talent to give a young QB a chance to succeed. So, I think it's a win/win for signing Winston. It also means you have at worst a solid starting QB, with good skill position players, to go with the championship caliber defense that you likely have for another two or 3 years.

But, if you can't get Winston back, I think you draft a young QB and then build up the skill positions in later rounds and with the free agent money you aren't spending on a starting QB. It's the less sure bet for capitalizing on a championship caliber defense for the next 2 or 3 years, but it makes more sense then trading for Rodgers or Wilson and having no draft picks or money to re-build the offense.

It's just my far fetched prediction but way I see it is Payton doesn't want to take chances. You're not garaunteed to get Pickett so Winston comes first. 2-3 year deal is fair to both sides, doesn't lock us in long incase he backslides and let's him re-test FA while he's still under or at 30.

Pickett checks all the boxes for running a Sean Payton offense, if he's the right guy then you go get him. We've missed enough on getting a franchise QB and we're rarely in position to draft one without trading the farm. Letting him sit behind Winston is ideal and gives us options. Worst thing we can do is wait until there is a problem and then scramble to fix it.

We still have the 18th pick to bolster WR or line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom