Dane Brugler Projects Saints Taking Matt Corral in Latest Mock (1 Viewer)

We have a bad track record of drafting QBs under Payton, albeit in mid to later rounds. I hope we go in a different direction, especially in the early rounds. Resign Jameis instead.

Mel Kiper has the Saints taking Kenny Pickett and I just don't see it happening. He has Williams going a pick later.

I don't mind Matt Corral per se but I wouldn't want him in the first round. We have a unique opportunity to potential fix our receiver corps in one draft given the depth at the position in this class. Even if we decide not to take multiple early round receivers (It's really not our style), we can get a player that should be at the very least a good receiver for years to come and an Offensive lineman to compete for a starting position and provide depth. Going into next season with a rookie QB and no one but Michael Thomas to throw too isn't the best case scenario for anyone associated with the Saints. That said I trust our scouting staff, but I wouldn't be very excited, at least initially, if this was our first round choice.

Some of the rhetoric I've seen around our team since the season ended makes me question if any of these people ever actually watched us outside of our nationally televised games. Winston goes down, we lost 5 straight, 3 of which were to highly rated teams at the time, 1 to a division rival and another to a playoff team albeit a bad one. We then got slightly healthy (barring the covid week) and won 4 of the last 5 with the lone loss being covid week where we had an unprecedented amount of starters out because the NFL wouldn't postpone the game (there wasn't even thursday game that week IIRC, it could've been done). We missed the playoffs by a tiebreaker. The way some of these people are carrying on with "blow it up", "Pay the piper", "draft a rookie in a QB class we've called trash all season", "Sean Payton should leave for x team", "Sean Payton should leave for television", etc. you'd think we went 4-13. It's bizarre.

That won't stop the teams from drafting 3 or 4 in the 1st.

Corral has happy feet and is a little small, I see him as a project.

He is a project. Especially as a pocket QB. But, he does have a lot of arm talent and athletic ability so he has major upside. The problem is that his floor is also really low. He's the kind of guy you would like to take a flyer on in the mid-to-late second or the third, but given the lack of quality QBs this year, he is likely to go in the first half of the first round. His success will all depend on his mental capacity and work ethic, which we don't know, but he would seem to be too big of a risk with a first round pick.

My guess is that by the time the draft rolls around, there will be 5 QBs that have shot up the boards and there will be no shortage of fans proclaiming them the next coming of _______. Who knew who Trey Lance was this time last year? That guy was a #3 overall pick.

The only mocks I want to see is what good playmaking WR we're taking..

Screw this "Check this QB out! He is what we need!" or any other position..I want another WR! After we draft that in the first we can do whatever I don't care.

I'm fine with that as long as we have a solid to good starting QB on the team before we draft. If not, then you have to do due diligence on the available QBs and consider taking one.

These talking heads are a trip...last year they were all like "Ian Book is the steal of the draft"....now they all have us taking another QB this year....so were they all full of feces last year or are they full of it this year?
The Saints did get the steal in the draft. But it was Adebo not Book

Starting QB’s for this week’s playoff games and the round they were drafted
Joe Burrow – 1st round
Josh Allen – 1st round
Patrick Mahomes – 1st round
Ryan Tannehill – 1st round
Matthew Stafford – 1st round
Aaron Rodgers – 1st round
Tom Brady – 6th round
Jimmy Garoppolo – 2nd round

Something to think about when drafting a QB in the later rounds. Tom Brady taken at 6 and becoming a HOF player doesn't happen to often. Not opposed if SP finds a QB that he likes and takes him in the early rounds

Starting QB’s for this week’s playoff games and the round they were drafted
Joe Burrow – 1st round
Josh Allen – 1st round
Patrick Mahomes – 1st round
Ryan Tannehill – 1st round
Matthew Stafford – 1st round
Aaron Rodgers – 1st round
Tom Brady – 6th round
Jimmy Garoppolo – 2nd round

Something to think about when drafting a QB in the later rounds. Tom Brady taken at 6 and becoming a HOF player doesn't happen to often. Not opposed if SP finds a QB that he likes and takes him in the early rounds
Yep...it's like looking for a Lamborghini in a Mitsubishi Used Car lot.

I don't think the Saints should draft any QB out of this draft class. I think sans Simian, the QB room will consist of Winston, Bortles, Hill, and Book.
That won't stop the teams from drafting 3 or 4 in the 1st.

Corral has happy feet and is a little small, I see him as a project.

Yeah, I watched every one of Ole Miss's games this year and Corral is a bit of project in that he probably shouldn't start right away, but his main problem is not "happy feet," so I have no idea where you get this observation from. And saying a QB is "a little small" is pretty worthless too coming on the heels of Brees's HOF career.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom