Danger looming: Free Agents after this year (1 Viewer)

only five names I would try hard to resign provided there health after the season was over.... Evans, Bushrod, Thomas, Sharper, Harper the rest can be replaced.....

Let's be honest here. What each and everyone of us has prayed for and wished for may be on the cusp of happening. I'm not gonna name it for fear of jinxing it, but you all know what I mean. Now, either it happens, or it doesn't.

If it does, then I can see our roster hemorrage badly, as other teams raid us mercilessly. So be it. Those guys will have earned fat paydays, and can leave with my blessings.

On the other hand, if something does prevent our dreams from coming true, why then, most of the guys on that list will realize that their market value is increased by making our dreams come true, and will sign short term contracts in NO. Why will they do this? Quite simply, they know that this team is special, and the best chance they have is right where they are.

Another longtime club executive points out that there are "built-in governors'' in the 2010 uncapped season that will serve to limit the amount of money some teams can spend next year. For instance, the final eight playoff teams from 2009 will not be able to sign premium unrestricted free agents next spring unless they lose one of corresponding value. Also, with the trigger for unrestricted free agency being pushed from four to six years of league service in the uncapped year, it removes about 200 of the best potential free agents from the market place. Not surprisingly, next year's projected free-agent crop is considered one of the weakest in years.

How can you argue that between Bushrod and Jammal Brown, neither are critical core players? I don't know that there's a huge difference between the two of them (some are saying Bushrod might even be better), but surely you wouldn't argue that we could afford to lose both of them, would you?

Maybe it is be becausei never really payed attention to it before but i don't think i have ever seen drew brees have to step up so much to just avoid the DEs. But i can't argue that jamaal brown in not expandable because our scheme is so good we don't really need any pro bowlers in our OL. Plus drew makes quick decisions and has very good feet in the pocket.

Maybe it is be becausei never really payed attention to it before but i don't think i have ever seen drew brees have to step up so much to just avoid the DEs. But i can't argue that jamaal brown in not expandable because our scheme is so good we don't really need any pro bowlers in our OL. Plus drew makes quick decisions and has very good feet in the pocket.

The way this front office evaluates offensive linemen, we should never resign them. Just draft guys in rounds 4-7.

not to take anything away from those talented players, but I think that we have been successful largely based on the systems we run. For our running game, we have developed a blocking system that seems to work for all our RBs, even Bush many times. Our Oline can rotate players and still be effective. Our WR corps is effective no matter who is playing because of how Brees throws the ball. In short, our team on offense is just as effective if you plug in new players, and is very efficient. Our defense also thrives on the system that Gregg Williams has created. Sure Sharper and Greer have made huge differences in the secondary, but besides that we pretty much have mediocre defense. I think the Saints are now an organization under Payton and williams, that will succeed no matter who is in the system, much like the Patriots.

it doesnt matter...hopefully the players we have drafted have learned the system and can step in for the FA that leave.(i.e. patriots, steelers, giants)

evans & bushrod are the only players on that list, in my opinion, that will command big (realtively) contracts. the rest are players with the exception of sharper that have replacements already on the roster, or can be found. sharper is an interesting case...an impact player with a short shelf life that someone may decide to overpay

i look at lance moore like i would a mid-level player with the hornets...he needs to decide whether playing with a superstar, who arguably makes him a better player that he otherwise would be, is worth more than a few extra bucks somewhere else

I don't think Jamaal Brown will be back, either. I think there's some animosity between Brown and Coach Payton. Bushrod and Strief have played well, and while there is some drop-off in play, it hasn't hurt the offense.

[/B]

I must disagree. There are three very important O-line members on the list.

And we'll keep 2 of them, bank on it. We're doing just fine w/o Brown this year, and there's not a chance in hell that we let Evans, Bushrod and Brown walk. An uncapped year actually helps this team, as we're pretty set as is and basically just need to retain our players. An uncapped year would make a good portion of those players RFA, and we would essentially have 2 franchise tags. We'll be restricted in FA (top 8 teams can't sign a FA unless they lose a comparable player), but if we lose Brown that would allow us to sign a big FA at another position. Even if they reach a deal with the player's association, I'm pretty confident that we'll retain the core players, and like LSSpam said, not many of these guys are critical to our success.

Our window may be this year only, as we'll probably get looted in FA.

Starters:

G Jahri Evans (RFA)
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
LB Scott Fujita
SS Roman Harper
WR Lance Moore
WR Devery Henderson
FS Darren Sharper
LT Jammal Brown
DT Kendrick Clancy

We can't franchise them all!

Devery signed a new contract this offseason.

I'm not worried. The front office has done a good job in this area.

No doubt, the team has performed at a very high level, but I would remind everyone that that is no indicator that everyone who is currently starting, or receiving extensive playing time, has performed at a very high level. This is why position coaches and coordinators perform extensive individual contextual (i.e. in practice, in game) performance evaluations, and often use a grading system to track performance. Please don't misunderstand me, I think Bushrod has done a great job, but I still think that LTs like Brown are rare, and I would be suprised to see the team develop a very high quality LT and let them go. However, I have no idea what the coahing staff thinks, and even less about the fiscal issues that confront the Saints front office. The great thing about 2009 for me, is the apparent depth the Saints have in their O-Line. It was only two years ago (2007) that the O-line struggled, particularly early in the season, and we started out 0-4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom