Danger looming: Free Agents after this year (1 Viewer)

Section41

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Our window may be this year only, as we'll probably get looted in FA.

Starters:

G Jahri Evans (RFA)
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
LB Scott Fujita
SS Roman Harper
WR Lance Moore
WR Devery Henderson
FS Darren Sharper
LT Jammal Brown
DT Kendrick Clancy

We can't franchise them all!

Henderson signed a 4 year deal this offseason.

And since this will most likely be an uncapped year, Harper, Brown, and Moore would all be restricted free agents.

Starters:

G Jahri Evans (RFA)
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
LB Scott Fujita
SS Roman Harper
WR Lance Moore
WR Devery Henderson
FS Darren Sharper
LT Jammal Brown
DT Kendrick Clancy

Wow, well

1) Virtually none of those players will command big money contracts. Even Sharper, at 34. (Jahri Evans is the exception)

2) We have no idea where the CBA negotiations are going. On one hand, if it's uncapped, many of those players will be RFA's. And if it's not, that means there was a compromise reached and we have no clue what it'll look like.

3) Hardly any of those players are critical core players, to be blunt. (Jahri Evans is the exception)

3) Hardly any of those players are critical core players, to be blunt. (Jahri Evans is the exception)

How can you argue that between Bushrod and Jammal Brown, neither are critical core players? I don't know that there's a huge difference between the two of them (some are saying Bushrod might even be better), but surely you wouldn't argue that we could afford to lose both of them, would you?

Just glancing at that list

Pierre Thomas and Jermon Bushrod will be RFA's no matter what. Devery Henderson is under contract. If there is no CBA and an uncapped year, Brown, Moore, Evans, and Harper will be RFA's as well.

We'll retain Clancy and Fujita without any problem if we want them. Sharper will want to stay here and we should get something worked out.

There is not a single player i'm remotely worried about. We may have trouble signing both Evans and Brown if we have too, but we could probably do it, probably won't have to make that choice, and if we do have to make the decision Bushrod gives us plenty of flexibility there.

In otherwords, no matter how you want to slice this, it really isn't an issue.

I expect Jahri Evans to get a new deal before the season is over. I'm sure they'll make some type of decision between Bushrod and Brown, keeping one and letting the other go since left tackles command big money and both have proven themselves.

As far as the others, Moore was a FA this past offseason and had no takers. Clancy has yet to play this season. I'm really not worried. This front office has a history of locking down the players they want before they reach free agency.

How can you argue that between Bushrod and Jammal Brown, neither are critical core players? I don't know that there's a huge difference between the two of them (some are saying Bushrod might even be better), but surely you wouldn't argue that we could afford to lose both of them, would you?

Because Bushrod is a RFA no matter what happens with the CBA. So he really doesn't factor into the analysis. And Bushrod appears to make Brown somewhat expendable.

Starters:

G Jahri Evans (RFA)
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
LB Scott Fujita
SS Roman Harper
WR Lance Moore
WR Devery Henderson
FS Darren Sharper
LT Jammal Brown
DT Kendrick Clancy

Jahri Evans will be restricted if no cba, FA if a new deal is done
P. Thomas will be restricted no matter what
J. Bushrod will be restricted no matter what
Fujita will be a free agent
Roman Harper Will be restricted if no cba, FA if a new deal is done
L. Moore will be restricted if no cba, FA if no deal is done
D. Henderson was locked up in a 4 year deal in off season
D. Sharper will be a FA
J. Brown will be restricted if no cba, will be FA if a new deal is done
K. Clancy will be a FA

Others

Mike Bell will be restricted if no cba, will be FA if a new deal is done
B. Miller will be a FA

Another thing not many know is that if next year is uncapped each team will have 2 tags to use. 1 franchise and 1 exclusive rights.

No worries, we'll be ok. You lose one, you replace one. I would kinda hate to see Bushrod, Evans, & Moore leave, but thats the nature of the beast. Move On......

To are too many unknown to start worrying now. Will it be a capped year or not. Does the front office make deals before the free agency period begins? Do we go to the SB and players want to play on a SB team? Do players like Sharper have a great year and want to come back? Plus it is just to early to worry about.

Wow, well

1) Virtually none of those players will command big money contracts. Even Sharper, at 34. (Jahri Evans is the exception)

2) We have no idea where the CBA negotiations are going. On one hand, if it's uncapped, many of those players will be RFA's. And if it's not, that means there was a compromise reached and we have no clue what it'll look like.

I must disagree. There are three very important O-line members on the list.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that the Saints would find J. Brown expendable. All-Pro players at his position are few. If he can return heathly, Brown, and Evans, would be the most critical resignings, in my opinion

I don't see a player on that list that cannot be replaced. Not saying I wouldn't want them back. But when you look across the league at the teams who have been able to sustain success the last few years (New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and to a lesser degree, the Giants), the common denominator is that each of these teams have very few players they build around. Everyone else is expendable and usually replaced through the draft. When teams try to keep EVERY good player they have it catches up with them.

For New Orleans, there are about 3 or 4 players (Brees, Vilma, & maybe Colston and J. Evans) that are indispensable. Everyone else can be replaced.

Wow, well

so you're telling me, simply that our leading rusher PT, Leading INT Daren Shaper, Bushrod who has filled in amazingly for Brown, moore who is one of bree's favortie targets are not critical, I usually agree with you, but not this time

I don't see a player on that list that cannot be replaced. Not saying I wouldn't want them back. But when you look across the league at the teams who have been able to sustain success the last few years (New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and to a lesser degree, the Giants), the common denominator is that each of these teams have very few players they build around. Everyone else is expendable and usually replaced through the draft. When teams try to keep EVERY good player they have it catches up with them.

For New Orleans, there are about 3 or 4 players (Brees, Vilma, & maybe Colston and J. Evans) that are indispensable. Everyone else can be replaced.

Find me someone who can replace Shaper. The leadership and his play making ability is unmatched on our D. As is Moore's precise routes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom