danny abramowicz feature - i've never seen this before (searched threads, too) (1 Viewer)

Turnouts into the short side. So simple back then -- but so effective! Abramowicz shows so much heart and determination that it makes you want to run around the house at full speed :) What a gutsy ballplayer he was.

i can't believe any others or myself have not come across this until now. i love the color footage and unis, as mentioned in the OP.

glad all are enjoying! (well, looks like someone red thumbed...HAS to be a mistake...why would someone red thumb this post LOL?)

Thank you for posting that. Danny was my childhood hero.

this. ^^

As an Old School Saints' fan, it was refreshing to have a player like Danny, who led the NFL in receptions one season.

When I was on my way to boot camp (Great Lakes) in 1974, I met him at O'Hare airport. He was with his new teammate (Gene Washington) from the 49'ers. I introduced myself to Danny and told him that I was from New Orleans & a Saints' fan, yada, yada, yada. He then called Gene over and introduced him to me. It was pretty cool, although I had a sad feeling of seeing my favorite player now playing for the enemy. :sad:

Anyway... I appreciated all that Danny represented as a player. The closest thing to him (IMO) was Steve Tasker.

:gosaints:

He wouldn't even have gotten invited to the combine in this day and age. Tough little dude, one of my early Saint heroes. Along with Davey Whitsell shown in the video gloating over knocking Danny's teeth out. Our very first Pro Bowler!

One of the big deals every training camp was a footrace between Archie and Danny. Archie smoked him every time. Good memories.

Great Post!
I love watching footage of the old school players
I remember him as a color commentator broadcasting on the radio. You could tell he was still very much into the game. I vividly remember that infamous Monday Night game against Oakland in '79. I had to listen to the game because I was grounded from watching TV!!!
He was just going crazy when we had that big lead in the 1st half, yelling and cheering whenever the Saints scored.

Kilmer and Danny A. both did not fit the ball player profile. Thankfully they were Saints. My best memories of Tulane Stadium also...

his body mechanics when running, especially coming off the line were horrible, he caught with his body (one of my pet peeves)...LOL...everything he would have been coached OUT of today. his concentration and instinct of where the ball was going to travel was amazing. he was like a smaller, sloppier ed mccaffrey...LOL.

also, as i mentioned in my OP, was interesting seeing the difference in body mechanics of manning vs. kilmer. kilmer big, slow and so rigid, manning fluid and loose.

Great Post!
I love watching footage of the old school players
I remember him as a color commentator broadcasting on the radio. You could tell he was still very much into the game. I vividly remember that infamous Monday Night game against Oakland in '79. I had to listen to the game because I was grounded from watching TV!!!
He was just going crazy when we had that big lead in the 1st half, yelling and cheering whenever the Saints scored.

Wayne Mack and Danny Abramowicz.. greatest Saints broadcasting team ever.

I had season tickets back then but I'd record every home game audio on tape. At that time, the longest cassette could only hold 60 minutes per side, so I bought a reel-to-reel recorder just for recording Wayne and Danny. :hihi:

He gave a alcoholism talk at my high school in the 80's. one of my buddies asked when does weekend drinking become a problem. Danny replied "when you start planning on Wednesday". My buddy was upset because he was planning on Tuesday mornings.

what always upset me as a kid , was losing talent to other teams, wasn't as much movement by players back then, but it seemed like the saints would lose some very good players to other teams, ex: Dave Waymer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom