Dark horse for defensive coordinator: I like Keith Butler (merged)! (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers: Keith Butler

Keith Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers’ coaching staff after joining the staff prior to the 2003 season. He remained on staff following Mike Tomlin’s hiring in January, 2007.

Butler and Tomlin previously worked together at Memphis in 1996, where Butler was the linebackers/defensive ends/special teams coach and Tomlin served as the Tigers’ defensive backs coach.

Butler was named the Steelers’ linebackers coach Jan. 28, 2003, after serving the previous four seasons in a similar capacity with the Cleveland Browns (1999-02).

Butler has been instrumental in the development of the Steelers’ highly touted linebacking corps which includes three Pro Bowl players, James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. In 2008 Butler was named NFL Linebacker Coach of the Year by Pro Football Weekly.

An interesting guy, worked with both Dick LeBeau and Mike Tomlin, a marriage on the 3-4 and the Tampa 2..

Keith Butler Pittsburgh Steelers

Wonder if the Saints take a look at him for DC, his name has been tossed out there.

Attachments

• Butler_Keith.jpg
    Butler_Keith.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 24
Interesting. U think he's better than Crennel?

I want him. The problem is IIRC, the Steelers promised him the DC job after LeBeau left. Now he might be tired of waiting but still.

The thing that I like about him is that he has worked 9 years under the master of the 3-4, LeBeau, but also with Tomlin who is a disciple of the Tampa 2. The guy can certainly can bring an imaginative game plan.

The thing that I like about him is that he has worked 9 years under the master of the 3-4, LeBeau, but also with Tomlin who is a disciple of the Tampa 2. The guy can certainly can bring an imaginative game plan.

I like the way you think.:tup2:

Great point. Intriguing....

Pittsburgh Steelers: Keith Butler

Keith Butler is in his ninth year on the Steelers’ coaching staff after joining the staff prior to the 2003 season. He remained on staff following Mike Tomlin’s hiring in January, 2007.

Butler and Tomlin previously worked together at Memphis in 1996, where Butler was the linebackers/defensive ends/special teams coach and Tomlin served as the Tigers’ defensive backs coach.

Butler was named the Steelers’ linebackers coach Jan. 28, 2003, after serving the previous four seasons in a similar capacity with the Cleveland Browns (1999-02).

Butler has been instrumental in the development of the Steelers’ highly touted linebacking corps which includes three Pro Bowl players, James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. In 2008 Butler was named NFL Linebacker Coach of the Year by Pro Football Weekly.

An interesting guy, worked with both Dick LeBeau and Mike Tomlin, a marriage on the 3-4 and the Tampa 2..

Hmmmm...I like it! He's learned under some of the best guys in coaching.

I was looking if there was like an assistant coach he might be able to bring for our defensive backs (coached by Carnell Lake).

I hope we can hear news in the following days, if Payton wants to interview Butler or any other position coach, Mobile is the perfect place, but he needs to gets permission from the team first.

I thought LeBeau was a zone blitz kinda 3-4 guys which is pretty much what Spags did, but out of a 4-3.

Am I wrong?

(How about) Keith Butler (as our) new DC(?) -[Mod edit]

I push for Butler to be our new Def Co-ordinator. He's had many years working under one of the masterminds of the 3-4 defense in Dick Lebeau and there defense is always in the top 5. Sean should hire and let him hire his defensive staff. This would more than likely mean Bill Johnson and Vitt would be hitting the exit door.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom