DARK on Netflix (1 Viewer)

It's hard for me to isolate season 1 from the rest of the series since I've watched it in its entirety. I do remember having a thought of "well that was a whole lot of nothing" in regards to a conclusion, but not even close to feeling it's a dumb show or that there's wasn't some universe building with constructive plot elements. I loved the story being told about the relationships and character motives.

I also had the luxury of not expecting much from a German Netflix show and being pleasantly surprised before it picked up some hype. If you didn't like season 1, then I wouldn't bother with the rest of the series. For me, this is a show I want to watch from beginning to end once more.

I was being a bit melodramatic. I really enjoyed the season - and am in the middle of season 2. I find the characters and the inter-relationships to be the most important thing. And I'm a sucker for characters in general, print fiction and film and TV.

I was just really... underwhelmed by the S1 'finale' because there wasn't really advancement or closure. And this isn't some typical American-esque "I gotta have a happy ending explicitly laid out for me" desire. Just... an end. It didn't feel like a season. It felt like a half season. S2 is really just the second half of that season, if that makes sense.

There have to be some answers offered - something - and it was just a bunch of cliffhangers and it wasn't enjoyable.

I'm just glad that I didn't have to take a break between S1 and S2, because I probably would have shelved it.

Finished S2. Starting S3. The first episode is called déjà vu. And I’m experiencing it. I’m having flashbacks to LOST. It really feels like it’s not sure where it’s going. I hope im wrong. But it just feels like how can we re-twistify what’s already been twisted in an even twistier way. And the series becomes about the twist than working toward a coherent conclusion.

I haven’t had this much angst over a series in a long time. I want badly to like it but the series makes it really really hard to.

Finished S2. Starting S3. The first episode is called déjà vu. And I’m experiencing it. I’m having flashbacks to LOST. It really feels like it’s not sure where it’s going. I hope im wrong. But it just feels like how can we re-twistify what’s already been twisted in an even twistier way. And the series becomes about the twist than working toward a coherent conclusion.

I haven’t had this much angst over a series in a long time. I want badly to like it but the series makes it really really hard to.
s3 definitely resolves the story

Alright, so I finished S3.

There was an explanation, but it felt too easy and wasn't an option they were building to. Sort of like a deus ex machina but for plot more than character. I did like, though, how the two antagonists became three and recursively went back to something earlier

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

But...

That finale was waaaaaay too reliant on the exposition. Exposition everywhere. It felt like I was reading and while I don't mind reading, it was too much.

And it sort of encapsulated my primary dilemma with S3.

They became overly enamored with the parallels as they built S3. It felt long and tedious and drawn out - conceptually, inventive and interesting. But when executed, too much. THey got too cute, too much. And it felt like they were too absorbed with the proverbial trees, they lost sight of the forest.

And then someone realized, "Hey, we only have a couple episodes left." And then they had to cram everything into it - and the only way they could do it was by telling rather than showing.

But it's a show, not a tell.

I thought that took a ton away from what could've been in S3. It was good detail-editing but overall story-editing was poor.

Alright, so I finished S3.

There was an explanation, but it felt too easy and wasn't an option they were building to. Sort of like a deus ex machina but for plot more than character. I did like, though, how the two antagonists became three and recursively went back to something earlier

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

But...

That finale was waaaaaay too reliant on the exposition. Exposition everywhere. It felt like I was reading and while I don't mind reading, it was too much.

And it sort of encapsulated my primary dilemma with S3.

They became overly enamored with the parallels as they built S3. It felt long and tedious and drawn out - conceptually, inventive and interesting. But when executed, too much. THey got too cute, too much. And it felt like they were too absorbed with the proverbial trees, they lost sight of the forest.

And then someone realized, "Hey, we only have a couple episodes left." And then they had to cram everything into it - and the only way they could do it was by telling rather than showing.

But it's a show, not a tell.

I thought that took a ton away from what could've been in S3. It was good detail-editing but overall story-editing was poor.
I don’t disagree, but im
Not sure how you do time travel without the exposition

Like on Lost, they were fine which leaving in huge chunks of mystery or even personifying the island, but once they introduced time travel they needed Faraday

But I will say that in reading what you wrote, I realized that I felt no attachment to the post-apocalyptic world - did not care about it one way or the other
So the race to correct everything to avoid the apocalypse did not matter to me so much

I don’t disagree, but im
Not sure how you do time travel without the exposition

Like on Lost, they were fine which leaving in huge chunks of mystery or even personifying the island, but once they introduced time travel they needed Faraday

But I will say that in reading what you wrote, I realized that I felt no attachment to the post-apocalyptic world - did not care about it one way or the other
So the race to correct everything to avoid the apocalypse did not matter to me so much

I thought Lost was a total wreck. So the comparison isnt a favorable one. In fact I thought Lost became a disillusioned wreck. So it’s more of an indictment imo

and you could easily have shown more in two episodes than just telling in one I think. Even if it was narrative Voice over. Anything but just one character reading a script to the reader for 10 minutes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom