Darnold traded to Panthers (1 Viewer)

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
I honestly don’t like it for us, darnold is very talented and was in the worst situation he could be in while in NY. Now he goes to a team that has him surrounded with weapons, and Joe Brady? Yikes
Darnold wasn’t a good QB in a bad situation with the Jets... He was a grossly overrated QB prospect that is now irreparably damaged from his time with the Jets.

He will be no better than Teddy was for the Panties last season... that’s Darnold’s level

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Darnold wasn’t a good QB in a bad situation with the Jets... He was a grossly overrated QB prospect that is now irreparably damaged from his time with the Jets.

He will be no better than Teddy was for the Panties last season... that’s Darnold’s level
Completely and utterly disagree, he’s extremely talented and even Sean Payton himself said he had darnold as the top QB in that draft

Reaction score
I honestly don’t like it for us, darnold is very talented and was in the worst situation he could be in while in NY. Now he goes to a team that has him surrounded with weapons, and Joe Brady? Yikes
Absolutely. I wonder what the reaction would be if we did the trade.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Completely and utterly disagree, he’s extremely talented and even Sean Payton himself said he had darnold as the top QB in that draft
Huh... He disliked that QB class as a whole. Even Darnold praise was simply a guess. Not a recommendation.

On Saturday, Payton ripped this year's quarterback class during an interview with The MMQB's Peter King, saying that he doesn't think any of the prospects are as good as Andrew Luck or Carson Wentz and adding that he "wouldn't be surprised" if only Sam Darnold is "left standing in four or five years."

I don't see Luck in this draft, and I don't see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft," Payton said. "I'd feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can't create 'em. I wouldn't be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I'd guess it would be Sam Darnold."

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score
I was never sold on Far old when he was drafted..... and I'm still not .
Called him a bust prospect....so far so good
I remember how much flack Cleveland got selecting Mayfield over Darnold.
Absolutely. I wonder what the reaction would be if we did the trade.
If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them a chance at success. If it doesnt work in a year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if they do well in 21 and 22 draft.

Last edited:
Reaction score

If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them chance at success. If it doesnt work in year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if tgey do well in 21 and 22 draft.
Yep, I meant if we were in the Panthers situation.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's not exactly true. Payton said he didn't think he saw a sure thing among the four quarterbacks expected to go early (Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen) in that class, and that he wouldn't be surprised if most washed out and only one turned out any good, and just guessed that might be Darnold. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

"I don't see Luck in this draft, and I don't see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft," Payton said. "I'd feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can't create 'em. I wouldn't be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I'd guess it would be Sam Darnold."

As it turned out, Darnold's been literally the worst quarterback in the last three years to play as much as he has.

Doh -- @Taker597 beat me to it!

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them chance at success. If it doesnt work in year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if tgey do well in 21 and 22 draft.
I mean..
You can probably argue Mayfield over anyone but Rosen was a bad move in hindsight. Mayfield being carried by a talented team.

That QB class illustrated that arm talent, measurables, and athleticism aren't just archaic philosophy to grading talent and the new way of analytical scouting isn't the end all discussion. Gotta view a player potential both ways.

The last 4 years... Arm talent and athleticism has come out on top with QBs.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not a bad move for them at all. I think he sucks but that could be the Adam Gase stench and they barely gave anything up for him. If he works out they are set at the position for a decade or more.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He’s younger than Joe Burrow. Darnold may turn out to be awful, but it’s crazy to make a final judgment on him one way or the other at this point.
Burrow turns 25 years old next season... Ehhhh.

Weeden being drafted at 28 years old in the 1st round was still wild to me.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t bet against Darnold. New York is a cesspit and I don’t think Tom Brady could even break even in that mess even if you gave him randy moss and Jerry rice.
I view Darnold the same as I do Jameis. New team, new scenery, better organization. We may end up being surprised by both.

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. First 3 years of both Darnold's and Winston's careers:

QB​
TD​
INT​
%​
Yards​
Games Missed​
Winston
23​
15​
61​
3879​
3​
Darnold
15​
13​
60​
1619​
10​

Percentage completion is close. The yardage could've just been the style of offense. The biggest concern for me would be the games Darnold has missed. Some of his weird injuries remind me of the Billy Joe Hobert injuries.
Good post! I would rather have Winston than Darnold at this stage of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)