Darnold traded to Panthers (3 Viewers)

Darnold is 23 years old, been in the NFL for 3 years, has had 2 head coaches and 2 different offensive systems, no one to throw to, and no 1000 yard rusher in that dumpster fire of a Jets organization.

Now he goes to a team with a decent O line, Christian McCaffrey, 2 good receivers and possibly a 1st rounder from LSU or Alabama, Joe Brady as O coordinator, and he's a bust?

Excuse me while I laugh at dumb statements.

I mean, yeah, I guess he could possibly be a bust, but it's way to early to tell and sometimes it takes a little while for QBs to come around. The upside is too great to pass up.

Yep. First 3 years of both Darnold's and Winston's careers:

QB​
TD​
INT​
%​
Yards​
Games Missed​
Winston
23​
15​
61​
3879​
3​
Darnold
15​
13​
60​
1619​
10​

Percentage completion is close. The yardage could've just been the style of offense. The biggest concern for me would be the games Darnold has missed. Some of his weird injuries remind me of the Billy Joe Hobert injuries.

It’s amazing how the common fan doesn’t get this. Significant upgrade for them with Joe Brady calling the plays

It's amazing how the guy saying the common fan doesn't get this, actually doesn't get that if Carolina doesn't upgrade their oline at multiple positions it really won't matter much who is the QB.....

The Jets buy high and sell low. It’s what they do.
You don't know how right you are...

I honestly don’t like it for us, darnold is very talented and was in the worst situation he could be in while in NY. Now he goes to a team that has him surrounded with weapons, and Joe Brady? Yikes

Darnold wasn’t a good QB in a bad situation with the Jets... He was a grossly overrated QB prospect that is now irreparably damaged from his time with the Jets.

He will be no better than Teddy was for the Panties last season... that’s Darnold’s level

Darnold wasn’t a good QB in a bad situation with the Jets... He was a grossly overrated QB prospect that is now irreparably damaged from his time with the Jets.

He will be no better than Teddy was for the Panties last season... that’s Darnold’s level
Completely and utterly disagree, he’s extremely talented and even Sean Payton himself said he had darnold as the top QB in that draft

I honestly don’t like it for us, darnold is very talented and was in the worst situation he could be in while in NY. Now he goes to a team that has him surrounded with weapons, and Joe Brady? Yikes
Absolutely. I wonder what the reaction would be if we did the trade.

Completely and utterly disagree, he’s extremely talented and even Sean Payton himself said he had darnold as the top QB in that draft
Huh... He disliked that QB class as a whole. Even Darnold praise was simply a guess. Not a recommendation.

On Saturday, Payton ripped this year's quarterback class during an interview with The MMQB's Peter King, saying that he doesn't think any of the prospects are as good as Andrew Luck or Carson Wentz and adding that he "wouldn't be surprised" if only Sam Darnold is "left standing in four or five years."

I don't see Luck in this draft, and I don't see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft," Payton said. "I'd feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can't create 'em. I wouldn't be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I'd guess it would be Sam Darnold."

I was never sold on Far old when he was drafted..... and I'm still not .
Called him a bust prospect....so far so good
I remember how much flack Cleveland got selecting Mayfield over Darnold.
Absolutely. I wonder what the reaction would be if we did the trade.
If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them a chance at success. If it doesnt work in a year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if they do well in 21 and 22 draft.

Last edited:

If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them chance at success. If it doesnt work in year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if tgey do well in 21 and 22 draft.
Yep, I meant if we were in the Panthers situation.

That's not exactly true. Payton said he didn't think he saw a sure thing among the four quarterbacks expected to go early (Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen) in that class, and that he wouldn't be surprised if most washed out and only one turned out any good, and just guessed that might be Darnold. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

"I don't see Luck in this draft, and I don't see Carson Wentz, who I liked a lot coming into the draft," Payton said. "I'd feel a little bit uneasy if I were at the top of this draft and I decided I had to have a quarterback. The pressure to get a quarterback is so great in this league, I get that. But we can't create 'em. I wouldn't be surprised if only one of these guys is left standing in four or five years, and if so, I'd guess it would be Sam Darnold."

As it turned out, Darnold's been literally the worst quarterback in the last three years to play as much as he has.

Doh -- @Taker597 beat me to it!

If we didnt have a QB on roster would like the trade. Since N.O has Winston and Taysom rather Saints save draft picks for building up team to give either one of them chance at success. If it doesnt work in year or two Saints can draft a QB and have a stacked roster if tgey do well in 21 and 22 draft.
I mean..
You can probably argue Mayfield over anyone but Rosen was a bad move in hindsight. Mayfield being carried by a talented team.

That QB class illustrated that arm talent, measurables, and athleticism aren't just archaic philosophy to grading talent and the new way of analytical scouting isn't the end all discussion. Gotta view a player potential both ways.

The last 4 years... Arm talent and athleticism has come out on top with QBs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom