Darren Lee to KC? (1 Viewer)

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I saw it on Pewterreport.com, 2020 6th for him. Didn’t see it anywhere else.

Yep.
Kansas City Chiefs[edit] On May 15, 2019, the Jets traded Lee to the Kansas City Chiefs for a 2020 sixth round draft pick.[48]

We already got the better of the Jets two ILB's

Lee entered training camp slated as a starting inside linebacker after the Jets opted not to re-sign Erin Henderson. Head coach Todd Bowles named Lee and Demario Davis the starting inside linebackers to begin the regular season, alongside outside linebackers Jordan Jenkins and Josh Martin .[38]

Demario Davis FTW!

Geez the Chiefs are upgrading on defense. Darron Lee is a player I’ve always liked. Always thought he would’ve made more sense in a 4-3 defense as opposed to the Jets 3-4. Best work is in coverage. Can get to the QB but he’s not a consistent edge rusher, and can take on blocks but he’s small for an inside linebacker. So where does he fit in a 3-4? He’ll make for a quality 4-3 WLB.

Chiefs have upgraded pretty much every loss they’ve had on the defensive side. Clark/Okafor/Ogbah > Ford/Houston/Bailey, Mathieu > Berry, Lee > Zombo. NFL is pretty fortunate that the ridiculous KC offensive talents seem to be basket cases.

From his rookie season...

20. DARRON LEE, LB, JETS (OHIO STATE)
Snaps: 593

PFF overall grade: 38.8

Darron Lee has all the athleticism and measurables in the world, but it’s looking less and less likely that there is a football player operating the controls. He is the lowest-graded rookie linebacker in the league and has allowed a passer rating of 132.9 when thrown at in coverage. In fact, the only area PFF measures that Lee has graded well in is discipline, thanks to just two penalties on the season.

His struggles continued in 2017 and didn’t seem to improve much. From an article about the Steelers’ Sean Spence ...

But even after late-season improvement, Spence was rated as the worst linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus for this season, a 26.3 rating it classifies as “poor” and 88th among the 88 linebackers it graded (and 8.6 behind No. 87, Darron Lee).

I know PFF isn’t the be all-end all metric, but when you grade consistently bad, questions arise.

And it doesn’t help he’s already popped for PED’s and served a 4-game suspension last year. One more of those positive tests and it’s I believe a 10-gamer?

Wonder if there is some link between this deal and the firing of their top decision maker and personnel guys.

Geez the Chiefs are upgrading on defense. Darron Lee is a player I’ve always liked. Always thought he would’ve made more sense in a 4-3 defense as opposed to the Jets 3-4. Best work is in coverage. Can get to the QB but he’s not a consistent edge rusher, and can take on blocks but he’s small for an inside linebacker. So where does he fit in a 3-4? He’ll make for a quality 4-3 WLB.

Chiefs have upgraded pretty much every loss they’ve had on the defensive side. Clark/Okafor/Ogbah > Ford/Houston/Bailey, Mathieu > Berry, Lee > Zombo. NFL is pretty fortunate that the ridiculous KC offensive talents seem to be basket cases.
They upgraded overall, but not very much imo. They will still be one of the worst defenses in the league.

They upgraded overall, but not very much imo. They will still be one of the worst defenses in the league.

I’d say the upgrade is noticeable. They have a strong defensive line and some athletic linebackers. Their corners are bad. That’s where to beat them. That, and there’s not a ton of bulk at the second and third level, so they’ll give up the big play on the ground. Still this was a horrible defense last year. Should be improved. Offense should take a step back without Hunt and Hill.

I’d say the upgrade is noticeable. They have a strong defensive line and some athletic linebackers. Their corners are bad. That’s where to beat them. That, and there’s not a ton of bulk at the second and third level, so they’ll give up the big play on the ground. Still this was a horrible defense last year. Should be improved. Offense should take a step back without Hunt and Hill.
I think they'll from 32nd to 28th or something like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom