Darren Sharper--interceptions countup (1 Viewer)

Wow! Number 58 outdid the 97 yard pick six from the Lions game, and while that one was meaningless to the game, this one came early in the game as the Jets were threatening to be the first team this year to have a lead on the Saints. Sharper drifts a bit to his right and steps in front of a pass within the red zone, and then goes 99 yards to make this a 14 point swing in the game. What a great interception, and I never thought I'd see him outdo the 97 yarder.

Question on application to be a Saints safety--what's your time in the 100?

This is also his 10th pick six, two short of the record.

Number 59 stopped the Jets as they tried to make a comeback in the 4th. Six minutes to play and they need two scores. Second INT effectively stopped Jets from any hope of coming back to win the game.

Nice game Sharper. 4 games, 5 interceptions. Ronnie Lott has 63, and you're closing in.

After only 1 all of last year, he must be having a blast.

Number 60. Wow. Saints are down 14 at the beginning of the half and Sharper has another pick 6 to bring us within 7 of the Phins on the road. Combined with Brees's TD at the end of the first half, this went a long way to fuel the Saints' comeback from a 21 point deficit. Lots of props to Tracy Porter who dislodged the ball from the receiver's hands and then did his tip drill to keep the ball in play until Sharper could grab in and run it in from 42 yards out. Sharper kept to the sideline and broke the plane (ok, the replay didn't show the angle, but hey, the ref was right there) just enough to give us the score.

60 career INT's is a milestone, plus one more pick six and he ties the record for career INT's returned for a score. He's picking up stats and starting to knock on that hall of fame door, but more importantly, he helped get us a tough road win and keep us undefeated through 6 games.

Vikes must be sick. They must have completely mis-used Sharper all of last year. He's getting a lot of talk for DPOY after looking like he was fading into the sunset in Minnesota last year.

Way to go Sharper, and thanks to Porter for the heads up play.

Night Train Lanes record is one of the very few Football stats I believe is worthy of repeating.

I would love to see Sharper get close. Although I wonder if he gets the *Maris-Asterisk if he does it in 13 games?

Still I would be impressed if he gets double-digits, the guy has some serious ball hawking instincts.

Also I am interested to see if he can close on Woodsons record of INT returned for a TD.

One away at tieing him at this juncture I do believe.

Number 61 finishes the game. He never should have gotten the chance for this one, but the turnover within two minutes made it possible.

2 away from Ronnie Lott.

Should have knocked that last one down. the tip is the only thing that makes a miracle possible for the Falcons.

He has 4 games against Jake Delhomme and Josh Johnson, not mentioning the Rams. He should make 10 easily. Unless Elvis Dumervil makes 20+ sacks (Ware did last year and didn't win DPOY) AND Denver finish with a better record than the Saints I think Sharper is a shoe in for defensive player of the year, especially when he breaks Ed Reed's all time return yards mark

Awesome....I'm actually looking forward to when opposing QBs drop back to pass now.

All the props in the world to you Mr.Sharper on an All-Pro, Defensive MVP season that your having. The Saints would not be 7-0 without you.

Should have knocked that last one down. the tip is the only thing that makes a miracle possible for the Falcons.

Knock it down an they have another shot at it, pick was the best choice.

Number 62. One short of Ronnie Lott, and 5 yards shy of the NFL record for return yards on an interception. If the Pats had any heart left, this one put a stake in it.

Sweet, Sharper.

With number 63, Sharper ties Ronnie Lott, plus he sets an NFL single season record for interception return yards with 376, breaking Ed Reed's record of 358.

Sharper puts his name beside two of the best who have ever played the safety position. It sure was good to see him return to form. Here's hoping he does the same next week and that he meets his personal goal of passing Ronnie. That would make two balls in a row that would go into his trophy case.

If he cuts off his pinkie finger, he will be refereed to as the greatest safety of all times.

Hall of Fame.

Yep, should not be a problem with his career stats. Hopefully, a Superbowl title this year to add to his resume will absolutely guarantee his enshrinement. The only player with more career interceptions that is not in the Hall of Fame is Ken Riley (with 65). The other 4 above him in the interceptions list (and the one who is currently tied - Ronnie Lott) are all in the Hall of Fame.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom