Darren Sharper--interceptions countup (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love Darren Sharper, and I don't want to jinx him, so I didn't name this thread interceptions countdown to tie Ronnie Lott. Instead, I will count them up throughout the season.

All time interception record is 81--doubtful that Sharper will get there, but he has said he wants to catch and pass Ronnie Lott at 63. (See link, below.) He's at 57, with 3 in the first two games.

All of last year, Sharper got 1 INT. This year he has three in two games. I am going to chronicle his INTS this year, so this thread should pop up through the season.

Here's what he said about the two in the Lions game:

Sharper spent most of Sunday shadowing the Lions' top target -- receiver Calvin Johnson. His first pick came on an overthrown ball intended for Johnson. There was nothing fluky about the second one, however. Sharper stepped in front of Johnson near the goal line and snatched it away like he knew it was coming.

"That was experience, definitely, " Sharper said of reading both the quarterback and the situation. "I wouldn't have done that as a younger player."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_safety_darr_1.html

Yesterday, as we know, he got number 57 and returned it 97 yards, outrunning a much younger qb to make his way to the end zone. I'll add his statements about that one as soon as I see an article about it.

And here's why I think he can make it to 63--attitude.

"One thing he told me is that a lot of times, when guys get to the stage of their career that I'm in, they feel as though things should be given to them, " Sharper said. "You know, they should be granted this because they put in their time. But he said, 'Why shouldn't you go out there and act like a rookie? This is the time you really should, because you don't have that many years left. So you should start to appreciate the fact that you still have a chance to play, and go out there in practice and do all the extra things, run around like a kid, like you did when you first came into the league.'

This quote is from the same link.

So now that he's a Saint, he gets Go Sharper spelled right.

Geaux Sharper.

I'm really loving the Sharper addition. I think he'll have at least one more year as a Saint after this one as we train up a young (or possibly Young) replacement.

I'd say he'll surpass that number easily.

I'm pulling for Sharp. He's been nothing but impressive and really proves what a talented FS can do for a team

57 ties him at 10 on the top 10 list All-Time...almost half of which are Hall of Famers....

1. Paul Krause 81
2. Emlen Tunnell 79
3. Rod Woodson 71
4. Night Train Lane 68
5. Ken Riley 65
6. Ronnie Lott 63
7. Dick LeBeau 62
Dave Brown 62
9. Emmitt Thomas 58
10. Everson Walls 57
Darren Sharper (33) 57
Johnny Robinson 57
Eugene Robinson 57
Bobby Boyd 57
Mel Blount

57 ties him at 10 on the top 10 list All-Time...almost half of which are Hall of Famers....

1. Paul Krause 81
2. Emlen Tunnell 79
3. Rod Woodson 71
4. Night Train Lane 68
5. Ken Riley 65
6. Ronnie Lott 63
7. Dick LeBeau 62
Dave Brown 62
9. Emmitt Thomas 58
10. Everson Walls 57
Darren Sharper (33) 57
Johnny Robinson 57
Eugene Robinson 57
Bobby Boyd 57
Mel Blount

I expect Dick LeBeau to get in the HOF real soon.

sharper ... playing PROBOWL level like this .. he have one or two at least more years ...

he is a weapon .. maybe he doesnt need to play every down, in a few years ... but he can play in the endzone ... HE is a playmaker !!

Dick should be in as a player and as a coach/contributor(changed the way defense is played), IMO. It is a sham he isn't in there yet.

Also, Sharper has 9 career Interceptions returned for TDs.

Rod Woodson is in 1st place with 12. I believe Sharper is tied for 2nd with 3 other people per Chris Berman on ESPN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom