Data or Data ( Dayta v Dahta ) (1 Viewer)

Is it Data ( Dayta ) or Data ( Dahta)

• Dayta

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Dahta

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Before TNG, i always said Dat-a. but watching TNG for many years, now i say both, some times dat-a come across the toungue, sometimes day-ta comes across.
I had a C64 back in the day and we always input dat-a for our programming. Honestly, before TNG, i had never heard anyone call it day-ta.

Before TNG, i always said Dat-a. but watching TNG for many years, now i say both, some times dat-a come across the toungue, sometimes day-ta comes across.
I had a C64 back in the day and we always input dat-a for our programming. Honestly, before TNG, i had never heard anyone call it day-ta.

I’ve heard this too that it was TNG that changed the common pronunciation

i'm your huckleberry

i view "data" as a group of datum (and what ultranerds ever use that word), not individual pieces

sort of like not viewing individual pieces of dirt in wheelbarrow of dirt

"yo, that dirt're wet... they're gonna be hard to spread"
Dirt is what's known as an "uncountable noun" (like sugar, water, etc) that only has a singular form and does not have a plural (though technically, "dirts" is an acceptable word when describing different kinds of dirt).

I'm firmly in the "datum is a countable noun and therefore has a singular and a plural" camp, but here's some pretty good discussion on the topic, and it's very much up for debate:

Dirt is what's known as an "uncountable noun" (like sugar, water, etc) that only has a singular form and does not have a plural (though technically, "dirts" is an acceptable word when describing different kinds of dirt).

I'm firmly in the "datum is a countable noun and therefore has a singular and a plural" camp, but here's some pretty good discussion on the topic, and it's very much up for debate:

Whenever you encounter a strong point against your argument, the best counter is to ask: "can you kick my arse?"

how confusing for you, sorry

nope
It’s ok to have a firm opinion while acknowledging the other side has a legitimate argument.

I recognize that’s mostly lost in today’s political environment, though.

And I’m guessing you didn’t read the article I posted at all.

A dahta/dayta post without a pole?

I see what you did there.

It’s ok to have a firm opinion while acknowledging the other side has a legitimate argument.
very true; acknowledged
And I’m guessing you didn’t read the article I posted at all.
i read the article but find the author's argument lacking

"data point" is in common usage and refers to singularities with precision

i'd wager the plural usage of "data" will go the way of "methinks" and "dost thou"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom