Davenport hasnt performed near as bad as some believe (1 Viewer)

I can't agree that to judge the Davenport trade, we have to look at how three other teams used the draft picks we gave up. It's like saying that to judge whether I overpaid when I paid someone $150 for a $100 pair of shoes, I have to consider how the seller spent the $150 he received.

However, we can look at how relatively little value Green Bay gave up to move from 27 (the pick we traded) to 18 so it could select Jaire Alexander at 18 (Green Bay gave up pick 27, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick for the 18th pick and a seventh-round pick--essentially a third-round pick to move up nine spots in the first round).

And in hindsight, we could have stayed at 27 and picked Lamar Jackson (who many on draft night thought was the player we had traded up for to pick at 14).

I can't agree that to judge the Davenport trade, we have to look at how three other teams used the draft picks we gave up. It's like saying that to judge whether I overpaid when I paid someone $150 for a $100 pair of shoes, I have to consider how the seller spent the $150 he received.

However, we can look at how relatively little value Green Bay gave up to move from 27 (the pick we traded) to 18 so it could select Jaire Alexander at 18 (Green Bay gave up pick 27, a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick for the 18th pick and a seventh-round pick--essentially a third-round pick to move up nine spots in the first round).

And in hindsight, we could have stayed at 27 and picked Lamar Jackson (who many on draft night thought was the player we had traded up for to pick at 14).
I get what you're saying. Every team values their picks differently. Some turn out great, others not so much. We've always been a team that will move up to take a player we really want. Personally, I just get tired of hearing about what we gave up. The man has been worth it, barring injuries. Even without that 1st the next year, we still managed to get two players with first round grades. Jeff Ireland has been a blessing for the last few years.

It’s never been about ability with Davenport. The dude balls out when he’s healthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom