Saints Davenport. Is he going to pan out? (1 Viewer)

Then why do the great pass rushers say “pressures” are almost as important as sacks? Why do great coaches talk about how important pressures are? Down play it all you’d like but he’s balled this year.

I respect your take and your opinion. I do agree pressures are important, but for what was given up I just expected a bit more, that’s all. Respectfully agree to disagree on assessment. And I’m just a fan, as are you. I’m def no coach. Just think we gave up too much for a guy who can get ‘pressure’. While TD passes are still being completed while he’s in proximity.

I’ve been wanting to make this thread for such a long time now lmao. Look, Davenport’s a good rotational player.

But I dare someone say they would go back in time and do the same trade of two firsts and a 5th for Davenport. And mean it.

HE’S A GOOD PLAYER. But, the picks we gave up, he was supposed to be a Mack and Miller in his Prime.

I’ve been wanting to make this thread for such a long time now lmao. Look, Davenport’s a good rotational player.

But I dare someone say they would go back in time and do the same trade of two firsts and a 5th for Davenport. And mean it.

HE’S A GOOD PLAYER. But, the picks we gave up, he was supposed to be a Mack and Miller in his Prime.
Agreed but it won’t be a popular take here. He’s kind of off limits for scrutiny.

eh....according to who?

Our team played "slow" yesterday. Except for Morestead and Lutz.

Even the crowd walking into the dome felt subdued yesterday. Told my wife that it felt
weird for some reason. Looking back, I guess it may have been an omen.
I listened to the “Fans First take” part 1 on podcast this morning on the drive home. They air it at the tailgate party on the top of Benson Tower. They even mentioned how the atmosphere wasn’t as electric as all of our other games. The fans weren’t showing up early and weren’t rowdy or fired up.
The team has admitted they feed off of our energy. They will have games where they come out flat and our job is to supply the energy they are lacking. I think many of the fans and players ate the cheese.

I listened to the “Fans First take” part 1 on podcast this morning on the drive home. They air it at the tailgate party on the top of Benson Tower. They even mentioned how the atmosphere wasn’t as electric as all of our other games. The fans weren’t showing up early and weren’t rowdy or fired up.
The team has admitted they feed off of our energy. They will have games where they come out flat and our job is to supply the energy they are lacking. I think many of the fans and players ate the cheese.

However, the dbl meter on the big screen kept hitting 125+... not sure if that's accurate at all, because I've never seen it higher than 113. But the dome was plenty rowdy... just not consistent.

Then again, the goal of a visiting team is to take the crowd out of it. And they did... along with the Refs and our own team.

However, the dbl meter on the big screen kept hitting 125+... not sure if that's accurate at all, because I've never seen it higher than 113. But the dome was plenty rowdy... just not consistent.

Then again, the goal of a visiting team is to take the crowd out of it. And they did... along with the Refs and our own team.
Yeah I don’t understand how that works. I’ve been in there where I couldn’t even hear myself scream and it is in the low teens. Yesterday it as in the 20’s a lot and I could hold a conversation with fans around me.

Davenport will look better once he stops consistently being the last person off the snap.

One of his most dominant sacks this year he was 1st guy off the ball and his 4.5 speed showed up instantly.

until that happens he’ll usually be just a half a step too late. The good side to that is most DEs end up getting that in 3rd year..as you’ve seen from Hendricksons development.

I think if you consider what the line has done as a whole this year it is hard to see him as a bust. He has made the whole better. How much better is hard to gauge. Obviously, this game they played as crappy as every other group but they have been our most solid unit this year. And he is still all upside.

Last edited:
You would give up an additional first round pick of the following year for Davenport for his currently level of performance?
That’s not how the draft works. You can’t go back and undo it

who said he’s supposed to be Mack or miller? He wasn’t a top 10 or top 5 pick and even then, you’d be disappointed by the majority of players that go top 10 every year if you’re only accepting those guys to be the best at their position

Whatever happened to letting guys develop and especially extremely physically gifted players like Davenport? Onyemata and Hendrickson have been praised a ton this season for their development. I get that people want instant gratification since we gave an extra 1st to get him, but give the guy time to develop before jumping ship. It was just a couple weeks ago that everyone was praising him. But hey, we got curb stomped on Sunday so fans are just looking for anything and everything to complain about.

I was at the game. The fans don't get paid to win football games. This embarrassment was on the coaching staff and players, not the fans.

If Davenport had been a second-round pick, there would be little criticism of the pick. But the price we paid was greater. When a team trades its first-round pick and a future first-round pick to move up to 14 to select a player, the expectations are high. Thus far, Davenport has not met those expectations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom