Saints Davenport. Is he going to pan out? (1 Viewer)

At this point its too early to throw out the bust card. However, the trading of two firsts for a project looks ill advised. Sometimes we look for projects that pan out (AK) and sometimes it doesn't.

In no way shape or form was Kamara a project. Not sure where you got that from, but put it back.

That’s not how the draft works. You can’t go back and undo it

who said he’s supposed to be Mack or miller? He wasn’t a top 10 or top 5 pick and even then, you’d be disappointed by the majority of players that go top 10 every year if you’re only accepting those guys to be the best at their position

Hey dude, I appreciate your opinion.

But if we traded up to get Davenport AND ALSO GAVE UP AN ADDITIONAL 1ST ROUND PICK OF THE FOLLOWING YEAR, I expect him to be better than how he's performing currently.

Put it this way for perspective, Cam Jordan averages more than 10 sacks a season. He was drafted #24.

We gave up more for Davenport: #14 pick, Following year's 1st round pick, and a 5th round pick to average 4-5 sacks a season.

By that logic, you at-least expect him to play better than Jordan based on how much more we gave up for Davenport than drafting Jordan at #24

My point is, we gave up more for a player than Cam Jordan at #24. To give up that much, I expect Davenport to play at a Mack and Miller level.

Would not call him a bust. Unfair and certainly too early for that conclusion. But would say the trade for Davenport was one that should not have been made.

People don’t understand he’s young and very much learning while developing. He’s not at that level where he’s going to give you a sack every game but he has burst and those games make his stats better . He’s becoming more consistent and very good as a pass rusher you guys are over reacting I have Davenport down for 8-10 sacks this year.

Jesus Christ. There was a point where Davenport was getting pressure at frequency only matched by the likes of JJ Watt, Von Miller, even Cam Jordan...

He, along with our whole DL except against the run, have a subpar game getting to Matt Ryan, and suddenly we're back to questioning the picks he didn't spend on himself to be drafted.

For frig sake, y'all need to drop it. He's on our team. He's got crazy potential and has done nothing to show he can't live up to it. In case y'all forget, this is year 2. When did Cam Jordan become Cam Jordan? Year 3? I think he exploded for a 3 sack game vs Philly or the Jets his second year, but otherwise wasn't really making a huge impact.

First 4 weeks of the season I would have said yes since he was having an amazing season. As of now he's seeing 48-55% of the snaps on defense. I think the coaching staff hasn't been very happy with him the last 4 games. I think two of those games he didn't even register on the stat sheet.

Man, some people act like spoiled children. My how the tables turn with a loss. Maybe we should let Brees go too because at least Marcus didn't choke on the worst D line in football. It's a team effort we win as a team and lose as a team.

First 4 weeks of the season I would have said yes since he was having an amazing season. As of now he's seeing 48-55% of the snaps on defense. I think the coaching staff hasn't been very happy with him the last 4 games. I think two of those games he didn't even register on the stat sheet.

It's a long season, he's also seen Rankins + Hendrickson return in that span which eats into his pass-rush snaps and how the Saints are using him. Didn't you notice less inside stunts etc

There are reasons for the reduced production but he's always been a year 3 prospect with his best ahead of him. He'll be ok. We payed 2 1st for what he CAN BE not what he currently is and Year 3 is typically the "this is what he is" season for a player. Davenport isn't there yet and thus hasn't reached his peek.

Besides Saints really drafted him to eventually be Cam Jordan's replacement on the Left Side where Payton compared him to a Michael Strahan level talent. His long arm move is more effective from that side...if anyone noticed.

I see one of the more athletically gifted defensive ends ever. So let's just put that out there. But I also don't see much of a football player in him. No instincts whatsoever.

When you want to talk about raw talent this is the utter definition of raw talent.

I don't know if the light bulb will ever come on for him.

I liken him to Mark Fields. As athletically gifted an lb as you'll ever see, but he was not much of a football player. He survived on talent alone.

And that play the OP referred to, that was the one that stuck out in my head and all I could say was "Geez". It appears he'll be the king of the almost sack. We didn't use up two first-round picks to almost get a sack.

Can we say Mark Fields, type? All of the raw, physical tools, nothing mentally. May be a very smart guy, but simply cannot grasp the football smarts. Happens a lot with players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom