Davenport will go against the Chargers' backup Left Tackle (1 Viewer)

Why make sarcastic comments like this? I dont get it. Hes literally doing nothing out there
Show me his nothing because I actually highlighted plays he made. I think jmalon’s sarcasm comes from folks talking about how badly Davenport is playing but when presented with facts never being able to counter/refute them. Reality is, 4 pressure plays is very productive. He did get cracked on the double team block where Jackson had the big run. It was a great play design though Davenport aided it by crashing down. But outside of that he played well.

I tend to think folks who view him negatively will do so no matter what he does as obvious by the criticisms of him in a game where he did not play poorly.

Yeah def. too high from what I saw, seemed to get knocked off his line and not knock the other dude off his. Hendrickson on the other hand is looking like a monster like we’ve been hearing in practice.
This.
You will see Davenport standing up during the regular season. Hes a better player with his currently flawed technique then he is what he is reppin/learning right now. Its the best time for him to work on it though. I would make him play the whole game with the new technique. Injury risk but he needs the reps more then anyone we.gonna carry on the roster
This
Davenport had two QB hits, a half sack, and another pressure. He also dropped in coverage to take away the hot read for Taylor on the play where Bell blitz. Very unimpressive. :cautious:
This.

All three of you are correct. That makes it very frustrating when evaluating him.

I will also add, he's playing on his surgically repaired turf toe and his half sack was a coverage sack.

Show me his nothing because I actually highlighted plays he made. I think jmalon’s sarcasm comes from folks talking about how badly Davenport is playing but when presented with facts never being able to counter/refute them. Reality is, 4 pressure plays is very productive. He did get cracked on the double team block where Jackson had the big run. It was a great play design though Davenport aided it by crashing down. But outside of that he played well.

I tend to think folks who view him negatively will do so no matter what he does as obvious by the criticisms of him in a game where he did not play poorly.
Negative
He plays to what we gave up for him I’ll eat all the crow you can cook

Negative
He plays to what we gave up for him I’ll eat all the crow you can cook
What is playing up to what we have up for him? First, Jeff, Mickey, and Sean made that trade—Davenport did not trade for himself. Second, I’ll review the tape but 4 pressures in limited snaps is pretty darn solid. What’s the standard going to be? Is it double-digit sacks because if it is I think he’ll get there as long as he remains healthy. Is it 20 sacks? Because then we are putting historic numbers on him as an expectation when, once more, he did not ask the Saints to make that trade for him. And I say this thinking about what we would be saying if it was Myles Garrett. Garrert has been pretty solid but if we gave up two first rounders for him, would his play thus far be considered enough? If so, I think Davenport will be fine as I see a similar arc for him.

What is playing up to what we have up for him? First, Jeff, Mickey, and Sean made that trade—Davenport did not trade for himself. Second, I’ll review the tape but 4 pressures in limited snaps is pretty darn solid. What’s the standard going to be?
he cost 2 firsts - obviously he's going to need to produce 8 sacks in 4 reps

What is playing up to what we have up for him? First, Jeff, Mickey, and Sean made that trade—Davenport did not trade for himself. Second, I’ll review the tape but 4 pressures in limited snaps is pretty darn solid. What’s the standard going to be? Is it double-digit sacks because if it is I think he’ll get there as long as he remains healthy. Is it 20 sacks? Because then we are putting historic numbers on him as an expectation when, once more, he did not ask the Saints to make that trade for him. And I say this thinking about what we would be saying if it was Myles Garrett. Garrert has been pretty solid but if we gave up two first rounders for him, would his play thus far be considered enough? If so, I think Davenport will be fine as I see a similar arc for him.
A first round pick..... he isn’t producing that .... what else ya need 60

And if the Browns has and elite coach and an elite QB getting close to retirement, then you’d have and argument. I would have never taken a risk on a closing window

And if the Browns has and elite coach and an elite QB getting close to retirement, then you’d have and argument. I would have never taken a risk on a closing window
In which case, your ire should be pointed at Payton, Loomis, and...well Ireland.

Davenport is gonna be who he is. Sitting up and complaining that he isn't already the second coming of LT isn't going to change anything and is a waste of energy. Way I see it, if our failings as a team was we weren't getting enough pressure on QBs, then I'd see what the problem is. As it stands, our issues are pretty much related squarely to health. Stay healthy, and this team is as much a contender as any other team in the NFL.

A first round pick..... he isn’t producing that .... what else ya need 60
So once more, you have not framed precisely what “playing up” to what we gave up for him looks like.

Here’s what I see: prior to injury, he had 4.5 sacks and was starting to become a terror off the edge. He finished as the top-rated rookie DE according to PFF.

Today, he was able to get 4 pressures on the QB including 2 hits and a sack. By any objective measure that is considered significant pass-rush productivity.

I can tolerate criticism of Davenport; there are things he has to improve. But it is the vacuous critiques that bother me. You have spoken completely in generalities but have not identified specifically what you are not seeing from him or believe you should see. Then when I or others point to his actual performance or stats, you offer more generalities like “first round pick...he isn’t producing like that.” Well from all I can see his performance last year pre-injury and the way he played today are indicative of what you should see from your first round pick lest you have the unrealistic belief that anything short of a sack on every drop back is not enough.

Last edited:
So once more, you have not framed precisely what “playing up” to what we gave up for him looks like.

Here’s what I see: prior to injury, he had 4.5 sacks and was starting to become a terror off the edge. He finished as the top-rated rookie DE according to PFF.

Today, he was able to get 4 pressures on the QB including 2 hits and a sack. By any objective measure that is considered significant pass-rush productivity.

I can tolerate criticism of Davenport; there are things he has to improve. But it is the vacuous critiques that bother me. You have spoken completely in generalities but have not identified specifically what you are not seeing from him or believe you should see. Then when I or others point to his actual performance or stats, you offer more generalities like “first round pick...he isn’t producing like that.” Well from all I can see his performance last year pre-injury and the way he played today are indicative of what you should see from your first round pick lest you have the unrealistic belief that anything short of a sack on every drop back is not enough.
That’s an extremely small sample. But if you were to stretch that over 16 games, that would be an extremely good season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom