David Letterman extortion (1 Viewer)

SillyRyno

Hotty Toddy!
Reaction score
David Letterman extortion *video added*

This is pretty weird

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009463.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&nid=2563

In an uncharacteristically personal revelation for David Letterman, the host took to his "Late Show" stage Thursday to admit that he was the victim of an extortion attempt -- and acknowledge that he has had sexual relations with more than one staff member.

According to a press release sent by Letterman's PR reps, the host first received a package three weeks ago from someone who claimed to have information about alleged sexual relations he has had with female employees of the "Late Show."

The individual threatened to go public with the allegations unless Letterman paid him $2 million.

Letterman told his audience on Thursday that he contacted the Manhattan District Attorney's Special Prosecution Bureau. That led to a sting operation, in which Letterman met with the individual and handed the person a fake $2 million check. That person was arrested on Thursday.
"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman said on Thursday's edition of CBS' "Late Show." "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

As part of the testimony, Letterman admitted that he had engaged in sexual relationships with staff members.

Last edited:

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Men are horney. Infidelity is rampant.

i agree... furthermore, i will not defend him.. i *will* say that he is only a man, and that if any of you out there think that you could outrun women throwing themselves at you if you were in a position of power and influence such as even a goofy [Mod Edit] like Letterman is-- then you are deluding yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
A sage man once told me that "the only men who have never cheated on their wives are men who haven't been offered." I think that's a slight exaggeration, but he was getting to a point. Blackadder stated the point well. Men are horny.

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Nah, he was being proactive. How can you be extorted if the info is out there? So you get it done, people talk about it for a week, then it's over.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A sage man once told me that "the only men who have never cheated on their wives are men who haven't been offered." I think that's a slight exaggeration, but he was getting to a point. Blackadder stated the point well. Men are horny.

yeah, as with all things, Chris Rock summed it up well when he said that 'the guy bagging groceries at Wal-Mart can brag all he wants about being faithful to his wife... A man is as faithful as his options.'

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
yeah, as with all things, Chris Rock summed it up well when he said that 'the guy bagging groceries at Wal-Mart can brag all he wants about being faithful to his wife... A man is as faithful as his options.'

Great line! Look, I'm not endorsing it. I'm just saying that it happens. Men have extremely strong sex drives. Not that women don't, but we don't seem to be ruled by it as much. As such, it has never been my personal belief that a man's infidelity is necessarily a deal-breaker. I think you can forgive a slip-up or two. It's when it becomes a habit, coupled with other infractions that display a complete disrespect and disregard of your marriage that it is a deal-breaker. I speak only for myself.

OP
SillyRyno

SillyRyno

Hotty Toddy!
Reaction score
Wow, the audience REALLY didn't know what to do with this:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7UcN_EXCSUw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

TheBigEasy99

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The Keyser Söze stratagem. I'll murder my family first so you can't threaten me with it. Well played, Mr. Letterman.

Well played.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7UcN_EXCSUw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

i actually think it comes across a whole lot better on video than it did in the printed version of the linked article... although i'm not sure why he felt the need to be that explicit; seems as though he could've acheived the same goal by saying he'd had 'relationships' or even 'inappropriate relationships' with staff members.

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
i like the comments. it's exactly the same kind of thing, said exactly the same kind of way, that he'd say about someone else in the situation.

Saint77

Burrrrrrrsitis!
Reaction score

Uh, yeah....

That was really, really weird.

I used to like that guy, and I find myself not being able to watch him anymore.

geauxboy

Boo Boo Bear
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
The majority of those staff members are usually college interns. I'd hit it.

SoonerJim

Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There's a line between consensual sex and harassment sex. Letterman needs to blur thast distinction. He will not lose his job, mainly because CBS bet the bank to acquire him, the competition (O' Brien) is not up to snuff , and he can mine this for jokes indefinitely. He did so last night, as if a multimillionaire late night celebrity portraying his geeky persona had trouble getting sex at all.

I was stunned to learn years ago that the most licentious of the Rolling Stones was the stone-faced quiet bass player, who boasted of bedding a couple of thousand women. Who knew? The bass player?

primadox

Hurricane Bear Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Houston TX, via Parsippany, NJ and New Orleans
i agree... furthermore, i will not defend him.. i *will* say that he is only a man, and that if any of you out there think that you could outrun women throwing themselves at you if you were in a position of power and influence such as even a goofy [Mod Edit] like Letterman is-- then you are deluding yourself.

Good points. It does go to show that if you don't fool around, you're not going to find yourself having to explain your actions...you play, you pay. Best way to avoid getting into that situation, Dave, is "don't cheat on your wife". That being said, he messed up, but he owned up to it, quite publicly. I admire him for doing so. A lot of his motivation for coming clean with it is likely just damage control, but still, he was candid and honest with his viewers, and I appreciate him doing that. Now it's between he and his wife to work out what this has done to their relationship, and I do wish them well.

As a celebrity, he's in a tough situation, as mentioned, with people throwing themselves at him all the time, I'm sure. And yet I also admire the way he didn't make any excuses for himself at all...he took responsibility for what he did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread