David Letterman extortion (2 Viewers)

i agree... furthermore, i will not defend him.. i *will* say that he is only a man, and that if any of you out there think that you could outrun women throwing themselves at you if you were in a position of power and influence such as even a goofy [Mod Edit] like Letterman is-- then you are deluding yourself.

Good points. It does go to show that if you don't fool around, you're not going to find yourself having to explain your actions...you play, you pay. Best way to avoid getting into that situation, Dave, is "don't cheat on your wife". That being said, he messed up, but he owned up to it, quite publicly. I admire him for doing so. A lot of his motivation for coming clean with it is likely just damage control, but still, he was candid and honest with his viewers, and I appreciate him doing that. Now it's between he and his wife to work out what this has done to their relationship, and I do wish them well.

As a celebrity, he's in a tough situation, as mentioned, with people throwing themselves at him all the time, I'm sure. And yet I also admire the way he didn't make any excuses for himself at all...he took responsibility for what he did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great line! Look, I'm not endorsing it. I'm just saying that it happens. Men have extremely strong sex drives. Not that women don't, but we don't seem to be ruled by it as much. As such, it has never been my personal belief that a man's infidelity is necessarily a deal-breaker. I think you can forgive a slip-up or two. It's when it becomes a habit, coupled with other infractions that display a complete disrespect and disregard of your marriage that it is a deal-breaker. I speak only for myself.

I think the reason we aren't ruled by it as much is because we have more to lose. A woman is more likely to get a disease like HIV or HEP C from a man (as opposed to man from woman) and unless we had a hysterectomy, there is always a possibility of getting pregnant. If a woman has a husband and kids, we are more likely to think about the consequences and will feel the responsibility of keeping the family together. So, I think the decision to cheat is a more difficult one for women then for men.

I was stunned to learn years ago that the most licentious of the Rolling Stones was the stone-faced quiet bass player, who boasted of bedding a couple of thousand women. Who knew? The bass player?

Of course the bass player, he had to make up for only being the bass player. Like guys with small wangs driving a Porsche.

Lum_playing_fiddlelow.jpg

I wonder if he will make jokes about the sexual promiscuity of the women involved as he did with Sarah Palin's children? You mean it's not funny anymore?

I wonder if he will make jokes about the sexual promiscuity of the women involved as he did with Sarah Palin's children? You mean it's not funny anymore?
I was wondering the same thing, will Dave continue to joke about politicians and their extra marital affairs?

Last edited:
The majority of those staff members are usually college interns. I'd hit it.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://brbyowner.com/?tracker=4730" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Yeah me too, especially when I was his age. Standards just keep getting lower with each passing day!

From Reddit.com's comment thread about the article:
Top Ten Reasons Letterman ****ed His Staffers.

Number 10: His staffers asked him for a raise.
Number 9: Conan was unavailable due to injury.
Number 8: Looking for new Stupid Human Tricks.
Number 7: It's called "Worldwide Pants" for a reason.
Number 6: Paul Shaffer was drunk and easy.
Number 5: You try and resist Alan "Big Red" Kalter.
Number 4: Staffers had Daddy issues
Number 3: It was either that, or another interview with Joaquin Phoenix.
Number 2: He's practicing for getting into politics.

And the number 1 reason Letterman ****ed his staffers...
Because he likes having women on his staff.

FLIPPY said:
I was wondering the same this, will Dave continue to joke about politicians and their extra marital affairs?

funny, i don't remember Letterman campaigning for Late Night host on a platform of family values, or preaching to anyone about morality. :shrug:

funny, i don't remember Letterman campaigning for Late Night host on a platform of family values, or preaching to anyone about morality. :shrug:

Neither did the kids that he took a shot at.

/justsaying

Neither did the kids that he took a shot at.

/justsaying

well, it seems as though we are talking about two seperate things... my comment was more geared towards Flip's post about politicians in general.. As to the issue with Palin's daughter, i believe Letterman apologized for that not once, but twice, and in any case i wouldn't consider him to have taken a shot at a 'kid' as you say, since it's been fairly well-established that his original joke was *meant* to be aimed at Palin's 18 yr old daughter who had had a baby, not the younger daughter as Palin tried to imply... if you disagree, and think that Letterman intended to ridicule a 14 yr old-- then we don't really have anything to discuss, since i think it was pretty obviously a mix-up and that that wasn't Letterman's intention.

What was strange about this case, IMO, was the guy arrested for attempting to blackmail Letterman was an Emmy-winning producer for that show 48-Hours, but they think he may have been needing the cash to pay off some debts.

The top CBS News producer busted for trying to shake down David Letterman was paying thousands of dollars in alimony and child support after his ex-wife took him to the cleaners.

Robert "Joe" Halderman was required to pay $6,800 a month in child and spousal support for three years in his 2004 divorce settlement with former spouse Patty Montet, according to documents obtained Friday by TMZ.com.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/10/02/2009-10-02_robert_j.html

What was strange about this case, IMO, was the guy arrested for attempting to blackmail Letterman was an Emmy-winning producer for that show 48-Hours, but they think he may have been needing the cash to pay off some debts.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/10/02/2009-10-02_robert_j.html

wow-- i'm actually surprised that it wasn't some two-bit criminal doing the extorting... but i guess it would've had to be an insider to have some real, verifiable dirt on Dave, as opposed to just someone who had heard some office gossip.

well, it seems as though we are talking about two seperate things... my comment was more geared towards Flip's post about politicians in general.. As to the issue with Palin's daughter, i believe Letterman apologized for that not once, but twice, and in any case i wouldn't consider him to have taken a shot at a 'kid' as you say, since it's been fairly well-established that his original joke was *meant* to be aimed at Palin's 18 yr old daughter who had had a baby, not the younger daughter as Palin tried to imply... if you disagree, and think that Letterman intended to ridicule a 14 yr old-- then we don't really have anything to discuss, since i think it was pretty obviously a mix-up and that that wasn't Letterman's intention.

He took a shot at a teenage mother(regardless of age) and her promiscuity(remember the joke?) all the while he's banging away with members of his staff. I say it makes him a hypocrite, no different from the politicians who do likewise, whom he also likes to joke about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom