David Onyemata progressing well seven games of rookie campaign (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good Read on our 5th round pick from Canada and his contributions to date.

Saints' David Onyemata progressing well through seven games of rookie campaign | NOLA.com

At the 1:42 mark of the third quarter, Onyemata exploded out of his stance and used his right arm to easily knock aside Chargers guard Spencer Pulley. The powerful move gave Onyemata a clear path up the middle of the line of scrimmage to quarterback Philip Rivers. A sack appeared imminent, but as the rookie defensive lineman lunged, Rivers sidestepped the rush to escape.

For Onyemata, the play stands out as the one that got away.

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who sits next to Onyemata in the meeting room, took a moment on the field after the play to use it as a teaching moment.

"I just went to him and said you have to take advantage of your opportunities," Fairley said. "He looked at me and said, 'Yeah, you're right because they don't come as often.'"

"He is picking things up," Payton said. "I think for the younger players that are playing, the key thing for us as coaches is understanding their strengths and let's get those guys opportunities to do the things they are really good at. But, I think he has done a real good job in picking things up."

Fairley echoed the Saints head coach.

"He just picked up the game a lot faster as far as knowing the scheme, studying tape and knowing the scheme of the opposing offense," Fairley said. "You can tell he's getting comfortable with his stance, getting off the ball. You can tell the game has slowed down to him."

Who cares? ... Bill Johnson is terrible ...

something-so-stupid.jpg

Thanks for sharing/posting, ELLIASJWILLIAMS... He's an interesting story: where he came from, where he ended up and what he's currently doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom